Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Orlandoo steel Driveshafts for micro crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Orlandoo steel Driveshafts for micro crawler?

So i been looking online and came across the orlandoo upgraded steel driveshafts for the 1/36th scale f150 i think and i was looking at the input shaft size and they come in either 2mm or 3mm input shaft size thats completely round the losi is 2 mm but "D" shaped and thought their has to be a way??? has anybody tried these? Maybe cut the d shape off another drive shafr and take up the empty space the d shaped losi would leave inside the orlandoo shaft? Any feedback i would definitly like to hear?? Im thinking about picking up a set and trying it.. Here's a few pictures of what im talking about...
Here is the input size in MM

anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Orlandoo steel Driveshafts for micro crawler?

I would think the set screw that screws down against the flat spot of the outputs would be enough as is.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The factory Axial setup is the same way. D shaped outputs with a round hole in the driveshaft. Set screw through the driveshaft pushes down against the flat of the output. Just need to make sure to use lock tite. 50mm should be fine for a Trekker, anything longer like some of the 1/20 pickups would need something else

Last edited by spoo76; 03-25-2016 at 11:58 AM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I actually have a set sitting on my bench at home. I'll see if they'll fit. If I get a chance, I'll try to take a pic.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Steve did you order the 2mm to 2mm shafts? Man i cant wait to see what bob comes up with i been drooling over ordering a set for a few months...

Last edited by anthony; 03-25-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I checked out the driveshafts, and they're a perfect fit! They fit so snug that I wouldn't worry about the losi d shaft. As far as length, I don't have a stock Trekker driveshaft to compare with. Although they seem like they would work. Oh yeah, the ones I got are the 3-3mm. I bought them planning on trying them for this reason, but never got around to it. Here's a pic.
Attached Images

R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I calipered the output shaft and the 3mm to 3mm fits good like Billy said also like Billy said i dont think you will need to do any shimming for the "D"-Shaft but time will tell once they get ran and tested. Also they seem to have the aluminum shafts on ebay but then i seen another website they said they were steel?
Old 04-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandserenesteve View Post
the 3mm to 3mm fit, but the shaft itself is NOT long enough, it falls right out on a trail trekker.......would have to extend the female end to make these work. Good thing I bought two sets...I will extend the female end and then use aluminum tube to cover it and keep the extended piece in place...

Good idea.. I measured a complete micro crawler driveline and it was 35mm closed length the micro crawler driveline will safely extend to 43mm without it falling apart so their measurments are incorrect... If the orlandoo driveline is 35mm long then it can only extend to 43mm long any further it falls out they show it extending to 55mm. So the micro crawler driveshafts are shorter than the trekker and they would fall out like you said? I guess back to sleeving it and extending them or maybe try to use two sets pinned together and cut down a bit?
I could
Old 04-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
the 3mm to 3mm fit, but the shaft itself is NOT long enough, it falls right out on a trail trekker.......would have to extend the female end to make these work. Good thing I bought two sets...I will extend the female end and then use aluminum tube to cover it and keep the extended piece in place...

Good idea.. I measured a complete micro crawler driveline and it was 35mm closed length the micro crawler driveline will safely extend to 43mm without it falling apart so their measurments are incorrect... If the orlandoo driveline is 35mm long then it can only extend to 43mm long any further it falls out they show it extending to 55mm. So the micro crawler driveshafts are shorter than the trekker and they would fall out like you said? I guess back to sleeving it and extending them or maybe try to use two sets pinned together and cut down a bit?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

The only way they would work without modifiying them is if you stayed at stock micro crawler wheelbase. maybe try using this configuration two males or two females connected in the center

Old 04-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just cut one of these up today but to shorten it and thought I'd share something- I cut the female end, and noticed the hex only extends into it about 3mm! Instead of just cutting it, I'll have to sleeve it just to shorten it. I'm picking up some 5mm x .45mm wall tubing, I believe it's the right size. But anyway, regarding use on a larger/heavier vehicle than the orlandoo, I'd be worried about the small amount of mating surface between the shafts, especially if your using anything larger than a stock size motor. Sort of a bummer it's not a hex all the way through the female end.
There are some metal u joints sold on banggood that are the correct size, add some tubing and you can make some metal shafts the correct size. Check for "chevy55" builds on here and on scale4x4 for examples.
Also, the rc4wd shafts might be an option if you want metal, but still kinda short for a trekker wheelbase, if they are available by themselves yet.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I got my tubing in. Perfect OD, I had to thin the walls with a small rat tail file and also gently file the driveshaft. Tight press fit. Just hack the last 3-4mm off (the only spot where the hex is) and use that at the end of your tube. Same concept for lengthening, but keep in mind the small mating surface if these are going on a rig heavier than the orlandoo oh35p01.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

No glue, a very tight press fit- the tube actually bulged a hair. I've got some larger trekker shafts that were extended this way but glued into the tube with CA glue and it holds- fairly common method. No way a stock motor for the oh35p01 (what they are designed for) or even a trekker size motor could budge these, probably a big block setup though.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I did consider tubing, BUT I'm afraid I won't be able to find a glue that will hold the cut off piece in place under the torque. What glue did you use?
Do stainless steel tube with jb weld the red and black kind
Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm a firm believer in Gorilla Glue. It's almost a lubricant until it starts to set. It does exams as it dries, so a few drops will go a long way.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

photo 006_7.jpg
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
^^ nice. So what did you do to make it work? Looks like to cut the female end shorter?
i used 2 sets of the metal transmission shafts and 1 set of the metal drive shafts from the orlandoo rc kit. the female end from the transmission kit and the male end from the drive shaft kit. only cut down the male side. i needed to shorten mine. not recommend for extending shafts....

X1 3m-3m
Orlandoo F150 OH35P01 KIT Parts Upgrade Metal Drive Shaft Set MD5-350 Sale - Banggood.com

X2 of these
Orlandoo Upgraded Metal Transmission Shaft 22mm MD5-220 For OH35P01 KIT RC Car Parts Sale - Banggood.com

or there is other options.

traxxas 1/16 shaft
MRC shaft
losi micro shaft
Orlandoo Banggood shaft

Last edited by Madjones; 05-15-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Finally got them extended and installed. They work fine..

cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Orlandoo steel Driveshafts for micro crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
losi micro crawler driveshafts aud6875 Micro Scale Rigs 4 11-20-2011 04:43 PM