Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: TMC tube chassis "sporty" rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TMC tube chassis "sporty" rig

EDIT- turned into MOA, post #7

Jim's TMC tribute tube chassis (http://shpws.me/McPg)

Losi Micro Baja body is a perfect fit, once trimmed up. Might throw a shell on it, haven't decided yet.

Got it painted

Haven't made links yet, but here's a few mocked up shots

The stance is wide enough to put the battery and servo side-by-side on the front axle. Electronics on the rear. I'll making some homemade knuckle weights at each corner, similar to the 3d sketches by Dravpnir in this thread, post 14:
Dravpnir tries to build something micro, again...

Also working on some cvd axles

They are made from Redcat Sumo truck (not the crawler) cvd axles. These would probably work in a stock knuckle/ c-hub as pictured, just with the bearings swapped to thin bushings, and slightly trimming the c-hub "ears", but I'm going to try to make some new knuckles with larger bearings to fit these and weights built in. All in time though.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 03-27-2017 at 09:54 AM.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TMC tube chassis "sporty" rig

Slight correction needed. I made the TMC Tribute chassis. Blade makes the original TMC. I ran the name by him and he's ok with it. If I made a mistake somewhere please let me know. Thanks it looks killer!
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Got the plates made for the axles, the rear will hold the electronics, battery and servo on the front.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I got it rolling. I need to shorten and tidy up wiring, swap connectors on the battery I'll be using, make some weights for the corners, and cover threaded rod. It also needs more power. I've been using 130 motors for a while now and going back to a 100t stock can isn't cutting it anymore. This chassis is tiny, so I'm not sure a 130 will fit, but a dual motor setup will for sure. Went with a cased esc for protection from the many upcoming rollovers- and subsequent throttling out of it.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 07-07-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have been using rigs with 130 motors for quite some time, and I dug a 100 turn stock sized motor out of the bin for this, but it just didn't feel the same. I didn't think the big block would fit, but it does- barely. The motor fits snugly against the chassis, and that is with the tranny case shaved. I want really low gearing, I use an 11/59 combo in my specter and would do the same if it would fit, but there's no way. By shaving the transmission case right up to the gears I managed to get a 13 tooth pinion to mesh.

Carbon 130 motor plate. Easier to work with (with hand tools/dremel) than metal, and saves 2.5 grams compared to the stock steel plate.

Center of gravity checks out.

Need to limit the suspension a little. I have some trekker bump stops (that's why you remove them and not cut them off ) but that would raise it since its full droop so I'll have to do it internally. Or maybe micro t rear shafts.

I had to put the rear upper links outside of the chassis for the 130 motor but it's still pretty narrow, I don't think they will get hung up much. Probably a good thing as my driveshaft was almost rubbing the links before.
Now just need to tidy wiring and make some weights!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I got sidetracked with other projects and have not made the knuckle weights yet. Those pin tires have very thick rubber and don't flex much without a lot of weight. I found some much thinner pin tires to try, but for now I stole scrambler/wagon wheels from another rig. This thing is sooo light so I added some extra lead weights in the wheels temporarily. The wiring is still a mess, but it's getting remade into MOA with Basher Rocksta axles soon so I won't worry about it.
A little video at my crawling spot, it's certainly more capable than my Specter.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I picked up one of the Basher Rocksta kits from Hobbyking when they were $15 for a set of axles. The metal gears for the axles cost more than the whole kit

I'll be using an esc for each axle with a Futaba transmitter for dual esc mixing. Shortened wires and smashed the electronics into a little bundle.

Made a tiny 4 link plate that mounts where the stock 3 link mounts.

The pin tires in the first pictures aren't awesome- the tire carcass is way too thick. I have some tires on my Mini SCT that I think will work much better. They are much thinner/flexible and almost feel sticky. They are made for a wheel with a larger inside diameter, so I cut the halves apart and reattached them with two matching sidewalls.

Micro Voodoos! They'll be mounted on skinny wheels so they will look a little taller and narrower than that.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default TMC tube chassis "sporty" rig

This is the thread I couldn't find. I got a Rocksta, too. Stripped the chassis for the axles and it looked familiar.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 11-17-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Just got some green dlux fab wheels for my mini crawler, though I'd whip up some matching micro wheels.
All of this was done with a drill, dremel, and files. Started with 8 plugs from a hole saw. Material is .06" toxic green g10 (https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/mic...FQQcaQod5_4Lgw).

I stole the hubs from a set of rc4wd wagon wheels and drilled the centers to match.

Not sure if I'll attempt to make the v cut in the face or just 6 holes. Holes will be much easier to make by hand.

Waiting on some nuts without flanges.

These tires are much stickier than the old ones, the casing is nice and floppy instead of rock hard.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Really like the direction this is going, nice work!
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Mike Chino!

One of the stock Rocksta motors would only spin when I removed it from the axle. I swapped them and checked the axles to make sure that wasn't the problem, but one is just a dud. Got a pair of PN Racing 70t meo mag motors. They were out ball bearing motor cases, but luckily micro t wheel bearings are the correct size (2x5x2 I believe).

Now just waiting on pinions.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 11-30-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

hi i would like to know if it is possible to get more pics on how you have make those crazyest Wheel,i am building one micro comp crawler and would like to have that kind of Wheel and tire on it???so did you get time to try it if yes how do you have find them i was looking to try the rc4wd 1.0" Wheel to get that look the micklaw are no longer available but you idea is great and improve micro idea,it is a build thread that i follow with the specter one.thanks
pyranahryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

@Breakweight... The similarity is coincidental. I actually designed the TMC tribute after the original TMC chassis.

Name:  tmc-15.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  73.9 KB
Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
@Breakweight... The similarity is coincidental. I actually designed the TMC tribute after the original TMC chassis.

Attachment 351786

I don't doubt you. Most of the 'overseas' RCs are rebrands or clones or scaled down clones. When I stripped it down it looked familiar but I couldn't find where I'd seen it at.

While you online, any sales today?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Sorry, no sales today.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I don't doubt you. Most of the 'overseas' RCs are rebrands or clones or scaled down clones. When I stripped it down it looked familiar but I couldn't find where I'd seen it at.

Shapeways has 25% off and free shipping in Europe at least - got one of these coming for £30...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jimbo_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyranahryder View Post
hi i would like to know if it is possible to get more pics on how you have make those crazyest Wheel,i am building one micro comp crawler and would like to have that kind of Wheel and tire on it???so did you get time to try it if yes how do you have find them i was looking to try the rc4wd 1.0" Wheel to get that look the micklaw are no longer available but you idea is great and improve micro idea,it is a build thread that i follow with the specter one.thanks
I'll snap more pics when I put them together. Waiting on hardware right now.
The rc4wd scramblers are great, and cheaper than the miclaws when they pop up on ebay.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Got my wheels finished.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Basher Rocksta axle bearings- for 2 axles you need 8 2.5x6x2.5mm and 8 3x6x2.5mm. Replacing the 16 bushings with bearings makes a huge difference.

There are 2 tricky ones in the center of the axle.

One behind that big bearing (it's the only bearing that comes stock)

Knuckles and c-hubs (3x6x2.5mm ones go in the knuckles)

Dig/burn test

http://vid1235.photobucket.com/album...5_204243_1.mp4

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 12-18-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Still working on the wheel weights, so here's a test video with some other wheels. I had to uncoil the antenna wire from the Futaba Rx, I guess they don't like that as much as the Spektrum. No more 1' range issues

TMC tube chassis "sporty" rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"NEW" The 5th Dimension "Sucker Punch" sporty/shafty chassis cboggs Chassis and Suspension 58 07-11-2018 04:21 AM