Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: It keeps getting better

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
'08 2.2 National Champ

Default It keeps getting better

I got a MRC just before Nationals. I got to run it there some on Friday and got to run it some. It was fun stock but I knew it could be better. So I cut some Panther tires for it, added 2oz of weight in each front wheel, and limited the shocks internally and externally. It was much better but I knew I could get more out of it.

So I removed the battery tray. After removing the battery tray I noticed that the chassis was flexing a lot so I installed a couple of axial links, I had to add small spacers but that fixed the flex/twist. I drilled out the shock mounts to fit the 3mm ball bolt, added a nut behind it to space the balls in. Keep in mind that when you move the shocks back it the springs will be effectively lighter, I added some spacers but will probably get new springs. I also added 40 weight oil to the front shocks, 45 to the rear right, and 50 to the rear left. I could have gone more though and probably will soon.

Then picked up a little 2s 730mah battery and mounted on the rear upper links. Then I had to put in a Teking FX-R because nothing else would do. I mounted that on the upper links along with a Spektrum micro receiver. Lastly I lowered the body 3/4" which will work until I can get a Grappler body

I ran it today on some of my practice lines and it blew me away about how well it ran. I was able to make some of my moderately difficult 2.2 lines and a lot of stuff that I overlooked was a ton of fun to run.

Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Brilliant mods! Thanks for sharing. I bought one of these for my boys to share. I don't think I'm going to be able to leave it alone now.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks much more capable!

I have a set of the 1.9 Panthers in the works! Thanks for your help!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You certainly hit the needed capability mods on the head! I have been brainstorming the different battery options today. That battery looks to be the perfect size, I have considered it myself. I think some battery on the front axle is possible, but lead would be better suited really.

HOw are the mini panthers hooking up? Is that the full sidewall?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I already have a few prototypes brewing up in my mad batt lab
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

sweet looking mods and im waiting to see the batts the vendors come up with cause i need a nimh batt to go up front somewhere
Opedopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Man, this looks great! I can't wait to get mine! AHHHH!!
cheesefart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looks much more capable!

I have a set of the 1.9 Panthers in the works! Thanks for your help!
Happy I could help, you won't be dissappointed with the Panthers. Really, its surprizingly capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You certainly hit the needed capability mods on the head! I have been brainstorming the different battery options today. That battery looks to be the perfect size, I have considered it myself. I think some battery on the front axle is possible, but lead would be better suited really.

HOw are the mini panthers hooking up? Is that the full sidewall?
It would be nice to get the battery up front but this one is so light that its not affecting weight distribution much. One of the mini's at the Losi table at nats had a little battery/servo plate and a super small 800mah battery. I don't know who made it but it was perfect and little cube shape. It was blue so if anyone know what it was please share. If I could find that battery I would make a plate.

The mini Panthers are great, they are full sidewall, I took out two full sections of tires and they probably end up at 1.75" diameter but I just stretched them over and they have worked great. You could cut off the bead and glue them and the sidewall would look better but they seem to be functioning really well now.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

awesome mini , i have been working on mine and they realy are alot of fun, im liking what everyone is doing to theres, those mini panthers are realy cool man i cant get over that. do the panters feel bouncy? i have cut the foams and added 3.75 oz on the front with the batt on the front 3 link 2.75 oz in the rear ) and it still feels bouncy with the claws...thinking of addina lot more weight i just dont knwo about straining the motor and servo and such
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
'08 2.2 National Champ

I'm going to add a bit more weight to the front. I need to up the drag brake on the esc too, right now its at 30 and its too light.

Man these are fun!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
Happy I could help, you won't be dissappointed with the Panthers. Really, its surprizingly capable.

It would be nice to get the battery up front but this one is so light that its not affecting weight distribution much. One of the mini's at the Losi table at nats had a little battery/servo plate and a super small 800mah battery. I don't know who made it but it was perfect and little cube shape. It was blue so if anyone know what it was please share. If I could find that battery I would make a plate.

The mini Panthers are great, they are full sidewall, I took out two full sections of tires and they probably end up at 1.75" diameter but I just stretched them over and they have worked great. You could cut off the bead and glue them and the sidewall would look better but they seem to be functioning really well now.
The servo/battery plate and square LIPO are soon to be released Losi upgrades.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Lookin good Z
I bet the batt that they had in there was just an E-flite 800mah out of a Blade CX. I didn't look to close, but that's my guess.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

You can't mod a Losi MRC!

Everyone is talking about stock classes and minimizing mods...this is just ludicrous. It's madness I tell you.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
You can't mod a Losi MRC!

Everyone is talking about stock classes and minimizing mods...this is just ludicrous. It's madness I tell you.
Yeah ,why would you take a perfectly good stock truck and try and make it better? That would take time,thinking and skills And might be fun Great job on the tires Zach !
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #15
'08 2.2 National Champ

Its frustrating, they are alright stock I guess, but its 100x more fun now.

T, thanks for the tip on the battery and I'll keep modifying this little bugger.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
Lookin good Z
I bet the batt that they had in there was just an E-flite 800mah out of a Blade CX. I didn't look to close, but that's my guess.
Actually after talking to Rich about it at Nats that was a hop-up 2S lipo battery made by Losi. He was running it on the Losi graphite servo/battery mount. The battery I think should be available in 6-8 weeks, but I may be wrong about that timeframe. I'm pretty sure he told me the servo/batt mount will be available in a week or so. Maybe Rich will post the exact specifics about the battery.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
'08 2.2 National Champ

I had some 1.9 beadlocks around that I had to use so it was time to make some tires. They are Panther T300 Step Pins in the super soft compound and all I can say is wow! They hook up like mad! I made a climb with them that my 2.2 struggles with. Anyway, here are the pics

Old 09-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Those are sick Z, great idea
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
I made a climb with them that my 2.2 struggles with.
You're lyin'!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #20
MODERATOR™

Hey how tall were those to begin with?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote