Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Muddin'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #1

Default Muddin'

hey i just got my losi for xmas, does anyone know how they are in the mud or water, would it break if i did...im trying to get some info on this crawler so i dont want to go and break it without knowing......also anyone know where i can get a new body for this??
JBIRKS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Umm Mud and water is a no no. You'd have to do some extensive changes to make it happen. Waterproof steering servo, waterproof esc, and at least a waterproof box for your reciever. Then you need to worry about keeping the sticky stuff out of your shocks and the like.

Mental note check traxxas I know that they prolly have everything you need. They do carry waterproof Servo's and Esc's Not to mention they have waterproof reciever boxes for several of their trucks you just gotta do a little research for part numbers for the box. There is also the old school way of sticking the reciever into a baloon and ziptieing it closed.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ies_xl5_wp.htm
http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ies_servos.htm

You also need to protect the motor. There are socks out there that will let the air/water pass but keep out the crud. The water won't hurt you can run a motor submerged in water, it is all the mud and grit that kills it.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/products.asp?cat=12683

You should also try and keep the battery dry, most battery packs prolly won't like being submerged in water because of possible shorts. That in a lipo would be especially bad.

Lastly you need to worry about all your connections, if water can bridge the +/- terminals that can be a problem. That can be remedied with diaeletric grease. Just makes things really cumberosome.

Shocks can be taken care of pretty easily with some boots.

http://www.badhorsie.com/products/shock-covers.html

Lots of money to play in the mud and water. Not that I have ever thought about it lol.

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-01-2009 at 05:39 AM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

plasti dip is your friend! I waterproof stuff I want to play in the snow with. Used to dip the entire ESC a couple times all but the heat sink. Receiver, throw it in a balloon with a couple zip ties..

Servo's are usually pretty waterproof but you can dip them as well just to be sure of concerned.

Water and mud is really hard on bearings and shock seals (as if the stock shocks even have seals LOL). Not much you can do with bearings other than packing them in grease or vaseline to repel the water best you can. Since the crawler is no where near fast, it isnt going to fling around anywhere.

Motor will not have an issue with being submerged, thats actually how I break in closed endbell motors because the brushes are soooooo hard.

Batteries need to stay dry because the foil bars they use when assembling the pack are very thin, and once they start to corrode, youll have battery issues. Balloon it too for preventative measures!
ken448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIRKS26 View Post
hey i just got my losi for xmas, does anyone know how they are in the mud or water, would it break if i did...im trying to get some info on this crawler so i dont want to go and break it without knowing......also anyone know where i can get a new body for this??
i took mine in the snow and it started to sink and then when i took it back inside it started running weird so i would say a no to that. I have the losi geepers body and i got it off ebay but there is probably other places to get it too.
KrazyKrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Could you post a pic of the MRC with the Geepers body sitting on it? Still don't know if I like that body style without seeing on a MRC.

Thanks!
Sinagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i will post a pic once i buy the $20 a year thing so i can post them. do u care if i post a pick with it not painted?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

my losi pictures.:-P
Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I've thought about putting mine through some bog holes but the pre work and clean up is not worth it,especially in comparison to what you can do on the rocks.
WranglerV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #9

thanks guys for your input. wartrader thanks im def going to look into making everything waterproof
JBIRKS26 is offline   Reply With Quote