Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Big Joe's MRC Comp Rig v2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Big Joe's MRC Comp Rig v4

Just wanted to share my updated 1.9 comp rig for HRCC.

Losi Bronko Body
Losi MRC axles w/ Losi steel lockers
Losi Trans w/ Losi steel locker
Losi Front Aluminum Cs, Knuckles and CVDs
Losi Rear Aluminum lockouts
Losi MRC shocks w/ 30w oil and 3/8" fuel tubing spacers
Hitec HS-645MG
Losi stock MRC motor, Mamba 25 ESC, 2s Lipo
Lost Aluminum Bead Locks w/ weights
DNA 1.9 Slingshot Chassis kit

8.5" Wheel Base
7.75" Track Width
2.5" belly clearance with Losi Rock Bashers
2.8" belly clearance with Proline Flat Irons

Future mods will be a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Mini and make a rear axle
truss to bridge the aluminum lockouts in hopes to minimize bending the solid
axles.

A few photos of JoeWorks MRC v2.. Thanks for looking..

With the Flat Irons

With the Rock Bashers

Shoots..

Last edited by JoeWorks; 03-23-2009 at 08:02 PM.
JoeWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Great looking rig Joe! Looks like a total overhaul from your first comp rig.
So, how do you like the mini SS?

Can't wait to see it in person.
Sprint 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Looking Good Joe!

Get some body off pics of that bad boy
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Bronco looks sick Joe. Have you run it yet?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

love the bronko body just wish it was crawler tuff i got mine trimed out more than yours & the tires still rub any issues with yours?
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint 80 View Post
Great looking rig Joe! Looks like a total overhaul from your first comp rig.
So, how do you like the mini SS?

Can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks Sprint..

As far as the Mini SS, performance wise I didn't have a chance to run it yet so no opinion there. But as a kit, I have a few small (in my opinion is small) issues when building it as follows.

1. My kit didn’t come with any instructions and if it wasn’t for other builds on this site, someone may have problems not knowing what goes where. I couldn’t even find any info on there web site also. But for some luck, I figured it out. I think.
2. My kit in my opinion was not complete due to having to the ball ends for upper links were not included and there where no indications on there web site or its packaging. I used ball ends from spare axial rod ends.
3. The two servo and upper link plate needed some modifications in order for it to work on my build. First I had to re-drill all the screw holes one size bigger in order for the MRC factory screws to fit and to countersink the three mounting holes so the factory screws can be used properly. I also had to drill and tap the upper link mounting holes to accommodate the axial rod ends.

Other then my little issues, it all went together well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant3150c View Post
Looking Good Joe!

Get some body off pics of that bad boy
Thanks Xtant.. but I don't just take my top off for just anyone.. I expect movie and dinner first.. hehe here you go my friend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Bronco looks sick Joe. Have you run it yet?
Thanks DTP.. Just got her done a few nights ago and was/is planning for a test run this weekend but it looks like rain. Will try find time make one soon but it looks like our next comp may be her maiden run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordwheeler View Post
love the bronko body just wish it was crawler tuff i got mine trimed out more than yours & the tires still rub any issues with yours?

With the Mini SS chassis and the body sitting as low as possible, the rear tires doesn’t rub the body and with the way the front fender opening sets back from the chassis, when full articulation and the wheel turned out, it looks like it rubs the fender well a little. Not sure until her maiden run to see what happens. Planning to shoe goo the fender well openings in hopes to protect them.

Shoots..
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks good Joe

Look forward to seeing this thing in person and hearing your thoughts on it.

Does it still come with the clear skid plate?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Looks good Joe

Look forward to seeing this thing in person and hearing your thoughts on it.

Does it still come with the clear skid plate?
May stop by OCS before I go out for her maiden run.. and yes the skid is clear..

Shoots..
Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You taking her out tomorrow? Call me up. Jayvin & I need some practice too. Just got my mini Zero together.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Was kewl to see this thing in person today!

How did the run go today?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

What wheel wideners are those? I love the bronko body!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Good looking build. Sorry to hear about the hardware mismatching. I have been reading posts for 6months now about this problem with the chassis and hardware provided. I would have thought that DNA would have fixed this issue by now. :-(
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Was kewl to see this thing in person today!

How did the run go today?
Yeh she came out better then I expected.. As far as her maiden run, she did ok? I ran her at the same area V1 was tested and I think V1 did better at the same spots.. The 1.9 flatirons gave the rig more belly and axle clearance but it didn't seem to grip as well as the losi rock bashers when it comes to low wheel speeds. Even at side hilling or off camber areas where V1 handled, the tires just didn't grip, not sure if its the tire compound, tire patern, tall side walls or all? plus the overall higher chassis brings her over.. Will put back the rock bashers for next weeks GTG in hopes she do better..

Shoots..
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
What wheel wideners are those? I love the bronko body!

The wideners was made for the AE RC18T to use standard 12mm touring car wheels. Note that its was not a direct bolt on. A few mods was needed for it to work. It had to be drill to fit axle shaft and the thickness cut down 1 mm so the slot for the pin gets shallower and when install, the lock nut will have proper thread depth. I also had to replace the stock axle shafts to front CVD and rear solid axle because they are a bit longer on the threaded side.

Shoots..
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog7 View Post
Good looking build. Sorry to hear about the hardware mismatching. I have been reading posts for 6months now about this problem with the chassis and hardware provided. I would have thought that DNA would have fixed this issue by now. :-(

Thanks.. Yeah wish they (DNA) provide more information and note somewhere on the packaging about it being not a complete kit or make it complete.. As far as the wholes on the servo plates being a bit small, I would think they would do some QC and check the items in the package.. Oh well.. its not my company.. I'm not the most machaniclly incline but got lucky on V2's build..

Shoots..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

howzit joe works, i have the mini ss too. i thought it was pretty hard to work with to. i had to redrill a few holes to make it work. i ended up drilling 2 holes in the delrin chassis braces and mount my shocks to them in a little triangular set up. i actually had a hard time due to the rcbros shocks i'm running. i'm happy with the end result. by no means this is a beginner chassis. there is a gaurantee modification that need to be done to make it work. especially for all the different setups out there. i also had to trim about 1/8 of an inch off the top front links to bring my caster in check. hopefully i can gtg with you guyz. i already stripped my rear ring and pinion. so it's on order right now. cutlass is cutting down some panthers for me so gotta wait for that too. shoots den
keala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorks View Post
Yeh she came out better then I expected.. As far as her maiden run, she did ok? I ran her at the same area V1 was tested and I think V1 did better at the same spots.. The 1.9 flatirons gave the rig more belly and axle clearance but it didn't seem to grip as well as the losi rock bashers when it comes to low wheel speeds. Even at side hilling or off camber areas where V1 handled, the tires just didn't grip, not sure if its the tire compound, tire patern, tall side walls or all? plus the overall higher chassis brings her over.. Will put back the rock bashers for next weeks GTG in hopes she do better..

Shoots..
Some good info Joe. I think it could be the tread pattern on the FlatIrons? Could be the type of rock? Maybe a little lower ride height would help with the sidehilling? Or maybe thicker oil in the shocks to slow them down more?

Did you have any torque twist issues with this setup?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keala View Post
howzit joe works, i have the mini ss too. i thought it was pretty hard to work with to. i had to redrill a few holes to make it work. i ended up drilling 2 holes in the delrin chassis braces and mount my shocks to them in a little triangular set up. i actually had a hard time due to the rcbros shocks i'm running. i'm happy with the end result. by no means this is a beginner chassis. there is a gaurantee modification that need to be done to make it work. especially for all the different setups out there. i also had to trim about 1/8 of an inch off the top front links to bring my caster in check. hopefully i can gtg with you guyz. i already stripped my rear ring and pinion. so it's on order right now. cutlass is cutting down some panthers for me so gotta wait for that too. shoots den

Yeah.. Its to bad about the 1.9 chassis kit.. Hope they fix the isues soon but as for me it was just a little set back and part of the fun of build is solving problums

Shoots..
Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Did you have any torque twist issues with this setup?
Still new to crawling.. Don't know if the torque twist is being a big issue for me.. its more learning how to crawl..

Shoots..
Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

On to v3.. Went back to the Losi Rock Bashers and did the SicksAreR steering mod without cutting the steering knukles using Dubro 2mm rod ends and 4-40 threaded rod and aluminum tubing.. Hope to see an improvement at this weekends GTG.

I'm still thinking of swaping out the Mamba 25 and putting back the factory ESC.. The Mamba 25's drag brake wasn't holding during her maiden run..

Shoots..