Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: DIY Beadlock Threaded Inserts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default DIY Beadlock Threaded Inserts

After modding the stock MRC wheels with the Pvc beadlock ring I managed to strip out the plastic in about a dozen holes when putting everything back together. So a fix was in order. I noticed that the RC4wd delrin wheels had brass threaded inserts so off to McMaster's website I went. Here's the process and parts to copy the results. This is my first attempt at a DIY write-up.

Parts:
2-56 x 5/32 brass inserts - #92395A111, $11 per 50
2-56 x 1/4 18-8 stainless screws - #92196A077, $5.25 per 100

For less than $30 you can do 2 full sets of wheels.

Parts

Wheels prior to drilling

I set the drill press to 1/4" depth with a 1/8" bit

Wheels after drilling out the holes

Wheels with threaded inserts installed. Just remember to install the inserts with the split end into the wheel. I goofed on two. Not bad for doing almost 100.

Wheels with tires installed. Gotta love the extra bling the stainless hardware provides!

One thing to note that will happen doing this. I noticed after tightening down all the screws that the plastic did bulge and a hairline crack show up on the inside face of the wheels at some of the screw locations. I'm not too concerned since the inserts have a diamond knurled outside face and are in pretty soild. I guess we'll see in the long run. Comments and questions welcomed.
Altered-Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #2

That's a lot of work to salvage the stock plastic wheels. I'm not sure it's something I would do, but it's a good write up and I'm sure it will helpe a bunch of people!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

It was actually very little work to do the inserts. For two sets of wheels it took about 5 minutes to drill all the holes, and about 10 more minutes to press in the inserts. I don't consider it salvaging the wheel, just an improvement. Could I have simply tossed it in the trash and bought the new wheels, sure but not for the same $ investment. Besides it was an excuse to buy the drill press I've been pondering over, and isn't that's what it's all about in the end. Thanks for the comments. I hope it provides an alternate to the circular file for the stock wheels.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #4

Nice, thanks for the write up! When you said you stripped the holes, was it easy to strip them? Is this something that is NECESSARY to get a good lock, or preventative?
223voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

does the bead hold on the wheels? Scaling with the 1/4" insert, it seems like a 1/4" between the top of the insert and the pvc isn't enough to grab the tire.
sierradmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post
does the bead hold on the wheels? Scaling with the 1/4" insert, it seems like a 1/4" between the top of the insert and the pvc isn't enough to grab the tire.
You should read this. Click me
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

223voodoo - I stripped out the screws wrenching them down too much. I don't think the inserts are necessary for a good hold if your careful tightening the screws down.

Sierradmax - I haven't had a problem with them yet. The pvc ring overlaps the ring on the wheels approx. 1/16" on each side.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered-Images View Post
It was actually very little work to do the inserts. For two sets of wheels it took about 5 minutes to drill all the holes, and about 10 more minutes to press in the inserts. I don't consider it salvaging the wheel, just an improvement. Could I have simply tossed it in the trash and bought the new wheels, sure but not for the same $ investment. Besides it was an excuse to buy the drill press I've been pondering over, and isn't that's what it's all about in the end. Thanks for the comments. I hope it provides an alternate to the circular file for the stock wheels.
I agree with you & thanks for posting this. Very good DIY. Great improvement.
NEVADA CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I just drilled the holes in the rim all the way through and got some long 2/56 bolts with nuts on the back side. Cheaper and easier for me.

Another Stock Rims Into Beadlocks How To
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered-Images View Post
223voodoo - I stripped out the screws wrenching them down too much. I don't think the inserts are necessary for a good hold if your careful tightening the screws down.
Just stripped 14 trying out the beadlocks. Lowe's has the inserts but they are out until thursday. oh well... gotta wait now.
223voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote