Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC T1E Style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Chassis Comment

This is definitely one of the coolest designs I have seen yet. I like how it could be considered "modular" so as improvements are made hopefully people can buy just the new pieces to upgrade. Seem this should be emphasized as a sales point. I wish I could afford one but too high for my budget. LOVE the design.
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
Updates ???? Ready to see this bad boy on the rocks Oh and the guys who are saying the kit is to much $$...Well its like everything else in life you get what you pay for this is quality and performance in one package..Plus its just damn cool

Well I will play with some drive shafts next... I will get to working on that tonight. I have ordered a set of MIPs, so that should be added to the Rockshow Mini as soon as I get them.

Also picked up a set of the Late Model shocks... Anyone know a good range of springs that work with those shocks? I wanted to pick some different springs up to play with.
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #43
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroplatus View Post
Well I will play with some drive shafts next... I will get to working on that tonight. I have ordered a set of MIPs, so that should be added to the Rockshow Mini as soon as I get them.

Also picked up a set of the Late Model shocks... Anyone know a good range of springs that work with those shocks? I wanted to pick some different springs up to play with.
I am using mini t front springs on my late crawler shocks. Blues on back and greens on front. On the chassis i am running it works great, no torque twist at all. Climbs things i never imagined a 1.9 would!

Last edited by rottenbelly; 04-30-2009 at 01:09 PM.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #44
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
I am using mini t front springs on my late crawler shocks. Blues on back and greens on front.

Sweet... thanks!! Now its time to look for a spring rate chart on Mini T Springs! Funny how "toys" force you to crunch numbers sometimes!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #45
RCC Addict

i must haav e been away longer than i thought. build looks great silas, will an axila tranny fit in it? or should i just wait and find out myself? loving the orange.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #46
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
i must haav e been away longer than i thought. build looks great silas, will an axila tranny fit in it? or should i just wait and find out myself? loving the orange.
We almost have something that an axial will work with!! But if you want to try it
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #47
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroplatus View Post
Sweet... thanks!! Now its time to look for a spring rate chart on Mini T Springs! Funny how "toys" force you to crunch numbers sometimes!
Actually just went and looked i am using the rear shocks. Thy come with 3 different spring rates. Blue green and silver. Using the front shocks on other project. Here they are.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB1119
Although the fronts may let it set lower if needed.?
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #48
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
Actually just went and looked i am using the rear shocks. Thy come with 3 different spring rates. Blue green and silver. Using the front shocks on other project. Here they are.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB1119
Although the fronts may let it set lower if needed.?

Sweet... Thanks for the link...
Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

I'm currently running Mini T shocks with stock MRC silver springs in the back and Mini T silver rears in the front. I like the feel of the silver rears in the front but the stock MRC springs are just a little to long, time to start cutting.

Last edited by Rockshow; 05-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Rockshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #50
Team T1E/VP Driver

Well Took a few steps back. Rockshow redesigned the servo mount/ 4 link plate. I added my special touch to it... I will have some photos and photos of the dye process for those who wanted to see what I had done
Old 05-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #51
Team T1E/VP Driver

Well after spending a few hours ( more like all day Saturday, into 3am of Sunday) of working on cutting and redesigning and drinking a few beers... We got a few things done and changed. I got the Electronics in, Redone the links a bit, changed out the 4 links, and played with logos in some of the parts ...

I started playing with different drive shafts. I had a pin drop out at ECC (2 nights before, doing some sofa crawling) and dropped a little locktight in the pin to get it to stay... big mistake !!!! This kind of locked up the yoke a little... well enough that it wouldn't turn and the next night, I was playing with it, and smoke would pour from the ESC, while nothing was turning. ... oops!

I went to the Stampede yokes and drive shafts. To get these to fit you have to cut a ton of stuff out of the Stampede drive shaft.

I wasn't happy with the end results... short shaft, and huge yokes... in the pucture above you can see that the shaft is no longer than the yokes themselves.

It posed to be an issue, since my plans where to mount a battery on the upper links.

Granted I have not adjusted anything to get my pinion angle better, but you can see just how beefy these things are. I don't think they will work with the Rockshow build that I am doing!

So since it wasn't going to be real easy to get this working properly, and since I have the MIP CVDs ordered, I will go back to stock shafts for now and clean out the locktight from the yoke
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #52
Team T1E/VP Driver

Default Dyeing 101

Well, got the new 4 links/Servo Mounts. I decided to dye these to match ...

Dyeing the delrin is stupid simple...

First, go to a Grocery Store, and in the laundry section, you can find the Rit Dye. I used the powder form for this project.

Sunshine Orange seemed to be the ticket!! (or T1E orange as we like to call it!).

This stuff is cheap, and if you wanted to order it on line, then you can go here.... Rit Dye Sunshine Orange

I bought a cheap enamel stock pot from Walmart to mix the color and water in... it is something close to this...

It was a tad bit deeper, maybe a 12 to 14 quart now that I am looking...

Filled it about 2 inches shy of full and mixed in the whole package of Rit Dye.

Brought it to a boil, and dropped it down to simmer. I did this out on the grill burner just in case I made a mess with it . Once I have done that I am ready to drop in the delrin parts. While I was waiting for it to boil, I got the parts ready.

First I had a dowel rod cut that would fit across the top of the pot. Tied off the parts with some cotten string.

The goal with this is just keeping the parts off the bottom, and away from the edges of the pot. Susspending it in the dye give you the best even results!

Now that I got them tied off... I am ready to drop them in.

I left these in for 45 mins. After about 15, you can see that its taking the color nicely...

After 45 mins, I removed the parts, cut them from the string, rinsed them and dried them with a paper towel.... Ready to be mounted...

I also dropped in a few white zip ties, and died them to match as well... you can see them holding the battery tray on the uppers in the above photo...

Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #53
Team T1E/VP Driver

My new beadlocks/wheels from Vanquish Products should be here Wednesday. But for now you can see my roller with Losi Wheels...

I think I may raise it up a hair (1 hole forward in the front upper shock mounts, 1 hole down on the back window pillar). Right now its 1.75 inches of ground clearance, with tons of adjustment.

I made a lexan electronics tray that mounts to where the bumpers mount to the chassis. Here I placed the FXR. It rests on the motor and against the tranny.

Mounted the receiver to the top of the tranny. Hopping to get them as close up front as I can, and pefferably lower too... Will work on this later as the build goes on.

Mounted up the wheels, and now some Roller Shots!!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, it just keeps getting better and better, since you won't be using those wheels you want to trade for a set of Rock carvers on Beadlocks
Hillcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

LOVE IT!!

Nice work Silas,

Next time ya got the camera out, how bout a shot next to your 2.2 'Show I know shes TINY, but its hard to tell how small without some reference.

Try JRH's Torque master mini motor, I run one in my MRC and it's a bad little mutha! Plenty of wheelspeed on 7.4, and gear shredding torque on tap
RockAddict75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #56
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAddict75 View Post
LOVE IT!!

Nice work Silas,

Next time ya got the camera out, how bout a shot next to your 2.2 'Show I know shes TINY, but its hard to tell how small without some reference.

Try JRH's Torque master mini motor, I run one in my MRC and it's a bad little mutha! Plenty of wheelspeed on 7.4, and gear shredding torque on tap

Will do...

I have thought hard about the mini TM on this... and may be an option.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #57
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcrawler View Post
Looks good, it just keeps getting better and better, since you won't be using those wheels you want to trade for a set of Rock carvers on Beadlocks
Thanks Jordan! I will have the wheels up for sell on NCRCC for a little while in a couple of days, before I put them up for sale here...
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #58
Team T1E/VP Driver

Got the servo in it tonight and crawled the steps and a few rocks... Wow!! I think this thing will go almost anywhere!!

I had to tweak a few things...

One was I spaced the lowers 1/8th of an inch. This got me to a hair under 8.5 inches wheel base. Also raised up the rig a little too... 1 and 7/8s belly clearance.

The kit comes with longer lowers now, but my version didn't.

If the weather holds out this week, I will get some photos of this thing on the rocks soon!! and some with the 2.2 as well.

Shocks should be in Wed as well as the VP LH Pro Comps!!! Thanks Steve and Tom!!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Just go ahead and send me this one Then I won't have to waste the time building it
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
Just go ahead and send me this one Then I won't have to waste the time building it
Good luck with that! I think he is attached already.........
Rockshow is offline   Reply With Quote