Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: newb question spool/locker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #1

Default newb question spool/locker

So, here's my question, I have seen steel diff and center lockers but, does the aluminum diff locker do away with these. It looks kinda like a spool to me but not sure if the locker still needs to be inside.

I'll be ordering my mrc soon and just want to upgrade the lockers right away......
PorkBellyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Well I just toasted my aluminum rear locker so I'm switchin' to steel.
gimpygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

You can't use the steel lockers with the aluminum spools. Haven't tried the steel lockers, but the aluminum spools(HR) are starting to round out like the plastic ones did.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Both of these use the stock diff housing. The ckrc replaces both the outer plastic diff cover and drive plate, the losi upgrade reuses the outer plastic cover. i would run it stock until something breaks, and then upgrade. just remember that when you do upgrade something like this, you are only moving the weak spot to somewhere else.

Welcome to your new addiction.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygolden View Post
Well I just toasted my aluminum rear locker so I'm switchin' to steel.
Ooops nevermind. Just realized I hadn't yet changed out my rear locker only the front.

Anyway I'm using RcBros. alloy lockers and they replace everything but the ring gear,no more plastic.
gimpygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just opened up my diff today the the steel (losi) ones seem to be holding up nicely! About 4 months of abuse on the so far.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I am running the RCbros ones and they work great. Check these out. $10 a axle not a bad price either.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

mine is from rcbros. the alum ones, both front and back. they replaces all the plastic parts and they are holding.

you better use a descent or a really good philips to unscrew and screw the lockers. i used a cheapo and it strip the heads of the 2 screws. so idecide to get a good one #00 and #0, expencive but does the job. ull need #00 for the lockers.

cheers.
ugly_giddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly_giddy View Post

you better use a descent or a really good philips to unscrew and screw the lockers. i used a cheapo and it strip the heads of the 2 screws. so idecide to get a good one #00 and #0, expencive but does the job. ull need #00 for the lockers.

cheers.
x2 on the quality screwdriver!!! One other thing that may help to prevent the stripped heads is to check the fit of the driver in the screw before you even turn it. Many times the cross in the screw is too shallow and/or the point on the driver is too long. If the fit seems a little sloppy, grind off a very tiny bit from the tip of the screwdriver. On a small tool like this it would be best to use fine sandpaper on a hard surface, or a flat stone. Cut a little and check the fit. Also use a moderate amount of downward pressure to help prevent the driver from striping the head. I have a Craftsman #0 with the tip ground in my toolbox that is used only for these screws. HTH
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
You can't use the steel lockers with the aluminum spools. Haven't tried the steel lockers, but the aluminum spools(HR) are starting to round out like the plastic ones did.
had the HR 's in my diffs for approx 3 months they started rounding out & changed out to losi metal lockers. im runnin the mongoose w/the HR alum tranny gears/spool, so far their holding up great
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #11

ya, I was skeptical about the aluminum, I might see what I can break first and then go fro there, I'm good at breaking stuff
Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have the HR ones in the front and rear and they are loading up just fine. Even with the heavy finger i have. The tranny is all stock too and it holding up fine too. Oh ya iam running with the stock motor/esc. But its time for a new motor were it blow up the other day.
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #13

thanx for the info guys