Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Hitec 645 Servo and BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #1

Default Hitec 645 Servo and BEC

It's been discussed a lot on this thread, however I searched and searched for some specific info and could not locate anything ..... I appologize in advance if it's out there. I plan on upgrading my servo to the 645MG and have seen varied opinions on the use of a CC BEC. That said, it just seems best to use it. Now my questions ...... are people also buying the Castle Link Kit to adjust the voltage ? From what I can tell on Castle's web site is that the CC BEC comes set at 5.1V. Is 5.1V OK as is ? Or do I need to adjust this ? If I can avoid the Link purchase, this would be a good thing. Also, it seems that the red wire between the ESC and throttle needs to be disconnected, correct ? Thanks !
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I'm using that same set-up, however using the BEC to power the servo only!! Thus pumping 6volts to the servo for max touque Works well, and I'm sure you'll be happy which ever way you hook it up Good crawling...
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
tjb
Rock Crawler

5.1V will be fine for use on an MRC..... the C-Link is well worth having though...

Speed: 0.24 sec/60° at 4.8V
0.20 sec/60° at 6.0V
Torque: 106.93 oz-in at 4.8V (7.7 kg-cm)
133.31 oz-in at 6.0V (9.6 kg-cm)
Length: 1.59" (40.6mm)
Width: 0.77" (19.8mm)
Height: 1.48" (37.8mm)
Weight: 2.11oz (60g)
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
I'm using that same set-up, however using the BEC to power the servo only!! Thus pumping 6volts to the servo for max touque Works well, and I'm sure you'll be happy which ever way you hook it up Good crawling...
Thanks ! When you say "BEC to power the servo only", how are you hooking this up ? BEC into the AUX on the stock ESC right ? Disconnect the red wire between ESC and throttle and wire the BEC into the battery leads ?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
Thanks ! When you say "BEC to power the servo only", how are you hooking this up ? BEC into the AUX on the stock ESC right ? Disconnect the red wire between ESC and throttle and wire the BEC into the battery leads ?
Nope. Power BEC . off battery. Get a "Y" harness plug BEC and Servo into female outlets. Diconect poss/neg wires going to male plug (leave signal only) and plug into steering servo outlet on RX. Esc connections all wires connected. This will allow the ESC to power RX. BEC only powering servo, give two power sources, less likely to shut down under extreme load. And ya 5.1 volts is prob plenty, but 6 )IMO) is better:-P. Hope that helps.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If you buy your bec from Holmes Hobbies he can set your bec to whatever you want before he ships it
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
If you buy your bec from Holmes Hobbies he can set your bec to whatever you want before he ships it

Good point...totally spaced that one (noobs )
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #8

Thank you ! I will order the BEC from Holmes and have it set at 6V as mentioned. I also like the Y adapter idea ...... Thanks again !
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #9

One more quick question ..... does anyone have an easy DIY servo plate idea for a full size servo ? Pictures ? I know RCBROS and others have a plate, but I kind of want to try something myself. I have a few ideas but would welcome any suggestions.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I bought the RcBros link plate and ended up just using it as a template to drill my own. I would highly recommend this because getting the holes in the right places is a pain.

I just used mini spring clamps to keep the template in place then drilled a couple holes. Use scews in those holes to secure it and then you can remove the mini clamps and drill the ones the clamps were blocking.

Also, I am using 645MG without a BEC and it works great.
FDAapproved is offline   Reply With Quote