Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Thinking About a MRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thinking About a MRC

Hey,
The day I saw this thing, I fell in love. I am thinking about getting one as a b-day present. Here are my thoughts:
The crawler itself (duh )
Rcbros mixer chassis (the one with links included)
1600mah hyperion lipos
800 mah lipos (which one should I use?)

I have a few questions,

What are some good 1.9 tires? I know there are many to choose from, but what are most people running? I was thinking chisels...

What kind of gearing? I am going with stock electronics for now..

Bodies, I like the bronco bodies, one like rcbro used in the mixer chassis thread.

shocks? I know there are many options but what is a good setup for this?

And last one, is this going to tourqe twist after its all done? That was my main purpose of this build.

I have looked for WEEKS to find out everything there is to know about this thing. I have done my homework
Thanks, Slashracer
slashracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I bought my MRC back in May as a bday present to myself. Its been fun to play around with.

I don't like to throw money at things, so I started off slow by reconfiguring the battery to sit on the front axle, limiting my shocks, and trying a set of Flat Irons I got for cheap (after I made teh stock wheels into beadlocks).

A couple of months ago I jumped into a new chassis (Fubaru Mini Skeeter) and its given my rig a whole new lease on life.

I'm now looking at finally upgrading the motor/esc, fullsize servo, and going lipo. But, thats a decent chunk of change for what I want to get.

Definitely take the time to put it through its paces stock, then start upgrading. You'll be more appreciative of the gains you get when you change each little thing, and ultimately you'll get more use out of it (and become a better driver).
Subarutex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That does sound like a good idea. I was talking to a guy the other day and he said about the same thing.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

do all the free stuff firt an then go from there , im at that point now. i need tires now an then im going for the chasis . i have done the 4 link already an it help as well. but with a comp shasis most of them come with 4 link so i just made my own for now cause i had the stuff here
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

you really like that chassis? I'm getting tired of all the torque twist i'm getting with mine but its stock
dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

The Fubar Mini Skeeter is a great simple chassis. What you get for the money is great. The only drawback, is you will need to make your own links. This isn't a huge deal to most, and in reality, you are better off doing that yourself. There are multiple ways to set the links up front and rear, each one requiring slightly different link lengths to maintain a proper wheelbase and axle pitch.

Here is a thread of pics of my rig: Rock Zombie
Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if you upgrade the motor and esc u will need to get metal lockers for the axels and tranny I broke the stockers with the oem motor I bought the losi ones but after some reserch the HR ones look like the way to go
thats my two cents
00racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

You are going to have some degree of TT no matter what chassis you run, the MRC is a shafty and its a fact of life.

However I have a mixer, and run full droop, no springs. And I only have TT when I am climbing something extreme. Other than that its not an issue
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #9

I got my MRC in August and LOVE it. It is my first crawler and easy to modify. I definitely recommend doing the free mods that you will find on the forum. It helps the COG a lot. As for your upgrades, lockers should come first, front and rear for sure. I have the Losi steel ones, but others seem to have luck with the aluminum ones as well. In my case, I went with the Hitec 645 servo upgrade next, as my MRC was used and was driven without the servo saver before I got it and was making noise before too long. I made a custom mount for it until I get a chassis. Otherwise I would have went with tires for the next upgrade. The full size servo is awesome!
I'm not running a BEC but may later(after I get brave enough to start rewiring)
As for tires - I just put on a set of chisels and I can say that soundcolors description of solid steel tires being better than stock is pretty dang accurate. The improvement of those chisels over stock is unbelievable. I mounted them to a set of aluminum beadlocks from motoworxracing.com Saw a set of them on ebay and won the auction for $51 with shipping, but they sell from their site as well. Super nice wheels!
My torque twist with the factory chassis is as minimal as I could get it by externally limiting the shocks - especially the left rear. I will internally limit them when I have to rebuild, but I'm putting that off for now.
Above all, have fun driving, and you will enjoy tinkering even more as you see what your upgrades do to improve the MRC.
Good Luck and Happy Birthday!
Alltoreup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everybody on the input. I have figured out what I am starting with,
A guy on another forums has one for sale. Stock electronics, bent links, 1300mah lipo, and electronics mounted on the axles!
4 runs on it, never been outside. The links have NO scratches on them. 100$ without radio. I figured thats a pretty good deal, I am prepared if every thing dies..
Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

That is a great deal.

I wish I had thought of buying a used one :( I would have an extra $150 to mod it with!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

good deal glade u have one now . keep us posted on what u do to it but sounds like u have a great start
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hope you get one and enjoy it. Check out rcbros website, they have all kinds of good mods for the mrc. Check out there shocks and lockers, maybe the mixer. They also sell a kit to turn the stock wheels into real bead locks, way cheaper than buying real ones. Also weight the front wheels.
zr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #14

Im loving my MRC it has so far been moded with:
Rock Bashers, relocated battery and electonics, 50wt oil in shocks, no pre-load clips on shock bodies, lead weights on rear axle, solder wrapped on the inside of the front wheels and a different body.

I think the biggest rig changing mods are the New tyres and battery relocation.

Mods to come are HR lockers (already have them, just need installing) and more weight on the inner front rims.
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Would it be best to upgrade to a full size servo right away or will the stocker work fine?
I am thinking about running the stock one untill it fries, then upgrade. :P
Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

yep, the hitech 645 is the gold standard
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

good to hear that! I have got a few laying around here somewhere.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #18

Can't go wrong with the 645. My stock servo didn't last long, so if you run your stock one, go ahead and fab you up a full size servo mount and either make or get some posts and get the 645 ready - you'll need it soon
Alltoreup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i got the losi carbon lipo plate for now. I thought i would have to drill it but there where two holes in it allredy that are perfectly spaced for the full sized servo i am running.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote