Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: A Noob In Need...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #1

Default A Noob In Need...

Guys:

Thanks for taking some time to read this, first of all. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the RC world, and VERY new to the crawling world. A lot of the stickies suggest "watching what friends run" but really, I'm the only guy in my area (to my knowledge) that's into RC crawling, and the closest hobby shop is 45 minutes from me. So I'm all alone out here! Haha! Please keep in mind while reading that I have NO intent on competing with this crawler, and it's really just for fun.

My MRC is currently bone stock, however, I just purchased the following item from RCBros.:

1 - V2 Skulz TVP
1 - Servo Mount Kit with Posts
1 - Hitek HS-645 Servo

I have a couple of questions for you veterns of the MRC.

First, how the heck are you guys connected the servo to the steering linkage (not sure that's the correct name)? I have the servo mount kit installed, the posts on, but I'm not sure how to connect the servo to the steering link. Is there a special linkage arm I can purchase to make this easier/stronger?

Second, in order to gain the extra length promised by the Skulz TVP V2, I need to mount my shocks directly to the TVP, and remove the black tray that the ECS, radio, etc. is mounted to. I'm totally okay with that, as it will lower my COG, but how are you attaching the shocks to the TVP? Also, I see some posts that run in between the chassis on some of the picture posts, but I'm not sure what those are called, or where I can get them?

My plan is to move all my electronics to the rear axel, so I won't need the tray on top. I'm just not sure what to do when I remove it?

One last opinion question... I'm looking to upgrade to some different tires... However, I'm not going to be doing a bunch of ROCK crawling. I live in Indiana, where there are no rocks...Haha! I have lots of rough terrain, hills, things like that, but they are all dirt (from loose to hard pack). Does anyone have any suggestions on tires that rock the dirt/woods terrain?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.... I'm trying to learn, and I really enjoy the whole rock crawling thing, but boy am I out of touch with the how's and why's....

Last edited by evanthrax; 11-05-2009 at 12:08 AM.
evanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Lots of good questions

To answer your first question, there are numerous ways to connect the steering linkage to the servo. Your new 645 came with a package of bellcranks and arms, you can use one of those, or buy a nice aluminum one from eBay or a hobby shop. Look at some of the pic's guys have posted of their rigs, it should give you some good ideas.

Second, check out Souncolor's sticky on free mods, it should address removing the stock battery tray and moving the shock mounts.

Third, Tires are really a personal preference thing. Two guys running the exact same course with the exact same trucks will have two different opinions about tires. Alot of it has to do with your driving style, wheel speed, torque, etc. There are lots of 1.9 tires out there to choose from. Many people say that any tire is better than the stock ones, but that typically applies to rock crawling. You may find that the stock tires work great for where you plan to use your truck. Back to the pic thing, spend a day or two looking at all the pics here on the forums, it should get your creative juices flowing.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Biggons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the input... I've read through the stickys here a few times, but still ended up kind of stumped.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This help any. Are you asking about the servo arm?

645 servo setup

This is the part I used between the servo and the steering linkage. I used a Dremal to remove the end of the arm so it wouldn't hit the steering link.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2561
awd199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the input on the servo arm. Still needing some help on the rest....
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

where the shocks mount to the stock location on the plate at either side there are some ball nuts and there are 4 of them total. pop the shocks off and take the plate off. now unscrew the 4 ball nuts and get some 3 mm lock nuts. Now when mounting to the skulls chassy the balls go to the inside tighten them with the 3mm locknuts. Now pop the upper shocks back on and your good to go
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The posts between the chassis side plates are just braces to tie the sides of the chassis together. Most everyone makes them. I use delrin rod but it takes a steady hand and a few key tool (correct size drill bit, tap) but it's not too hard. If you want to try it, look into a link drill bushing that JeepinDoug sells here in the vendors section, makes the job easier. JeepinDoug's bushing could also come in handy making delrin links for your new steering linkage if you wanted to go that route. My idea is to always make 2 of everythink custom so you'll have a spare.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #8

Great! Thanks guys for the help. I think this will get me started. Most places flame noobs, make them feel like morons, and so far, I've had none of that here. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanthrax View Post
One last opinion question... I'm looking to upgrade to some different tires... However, I'm not going to be doing a bunch of ROCK crawling. I live in Indiana, where there are no rocks...Haha! I have lots of rough terrain, hills, things like that, but they are all dirt (from loose to hard pack). Does anyone have any suggestions on tires that rock the dirt/woods terrain?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.... I'm trying to learn, and I really enjoy the whole rock crawling thing, but boy am I out of touch with the how's and why's....
plenty of rocks here, post up in the indiana section. there are quite a few crawlers up north. there's a comp in indy next sunday on brookville road ( ROX BOX) and jcboof is working on getting the fort wayne series going.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 11-06-2009 at 11:54 PM.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #10

go into the losi mini section and looks at the mini pic. thread. alot of good ideas in there... Check it out you'll get to it... The posts accross I just used Automotive brake line that I tapped with threads and installed tiny bolts to hold it all in. Works great....

-CLIFF-
losimini is offline   Reply With Quote