Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Trying to improve my MRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Trying to improve my MRC

Hey guys . I turned my 2 MRCs into scalers . I am slowly replacing any stock parts that are left . My questions are , What is the best way to tighten up my axles? By this I mean I have so much play in the lockers. You can turn the wheel 1/8 of a full turn before the drive shaft moves . I know this is caused by the stock plastic lockers . I want to replace them but with what ? I know there are metal lockers but I kinda wanted a spool I seen a while back . Any suggestions ?

The other question is , What are you guys running for motor set ups ? Are ya happy with it ? Any info of that sort.

Oh drive shafts as well . The u-joints are getting very loose and alot of play is resulting from it . What can I replace those with . Been searching for a while for answers to these questions but I am not happy with the limited answers I have been finding . So here I am . Thanks in advance

Oh here is my build thread if anyone is interested .
Project Hillbilly deluxxx , short bed clod junker
86 Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

As far as lockers go I have the losi metal ones and the RC Bros ones and they are both nice. The RC Bros lockers do replace all the plastic parts in the axles if that's important to you. I'm still running the stock motor, but I know people have been using the mini torquemaster from holmes hobbies and really like it. Also the mini slider motor fits and is pretty cheap. There are a couple different driveshafts out there, the MIP one and the RC4WD punisher shaft come to mind.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have the hot racing lockers and really like them.

I got them from TCS...on sale for $8.45 a set.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-3...8-p-17250.html
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The price on the hot racing ones is nice . They look good too . Kind of liking the rcbros ones though. Anyone else out there have any input ?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 Iroc View Post
The price on the hot racing ones is nice . They look good too . Kind of liking the rcbros ones though. Anyone else out there have any input ?
They look the same to me...what is the difference in them?
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
They look the same to me...what is the difference in them?
You know you are right . I realized that after looking into it a little more . Silly me
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

i like rc bros. i have been running my mrc since they first came out and still have the stock motor. i found that getting better tires , losi bashers was the best way to improve the performance.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
BC1

I did a almost free 4-link with my stock lower links. A big improvement
BC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I like this input but the thing is , my mrc is FAR from the stock form . I made it into a scaler so the only thing stock on it are the axles , motor/trans , and u-joints . I just wanted to inprove all that good stuff. Still looking for a mice little motor that would work good with the stock speed control. Oh the electronics are stock too.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

mongoose crawler esc and 18.5 mini novak motor is the best really
dudeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Lately I've been looking into getting a new motor as well. But I don't want to get something that is so fast or powerful that I'm going to have problems with breaking driveshafts, lockers, or axles or anything. I think most of the motor replacements will work with the stock electronics, but don't hold me to that. I think the safest bet is probably to go with the holmes mini torquemaster. They come in 33t or 22t, and I've heard nothing but positive things about the product and the service behind it. It is recommended to have an upgraded esc, but there have to be people running the mini torquemaster on the stock one. It's sad but I just can't justify spending the $30 on it right now.

And for driveshafts maybe just replace them with stock ones. They're cheap and easily modifiable if your scaler has a longer wheelbase than stock.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 Iroc View Post
I like this input but the thing is , my mrc is FAR from the stock form . I made it into a scaler so the only thing stock on it are the axles , motor/trans , and u-joints . I just wanted to inprove all that good stuff. Still looking for a mice little motor that would work good with the stock speed control. Oh the electronics are stock too.

The best motor to use with the stock speed control is the Holmes Hobbies Mini Torque Master. It's a direct drop in. Two versions 33t and 22t.

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCnoob View Post
The best motor to use with the stock speed control is the Holmes Hobbies Mini Torque Master. It's a direct drop in. Two versions 33t and 22t.

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
+1, for what he's looking for.

FYI: my (RCBros) aluminum lockers didn't take up the "slack" in the wheel/drive-shaft movement.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
+1, for what he's looking for.

FYI: my (RCBros) aluminum lockers didn't take up the "slack" in the wheel/drive-shaft movement.

Really , the lockers didnt take out the slack ??? I have heard they do . Do you know why they did not ?