Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: helhedded's GC-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default helhedded's GC-3

"Lil' Focker"

Lately I've been wanting to drive in another class so I picked up an almost comp ready MRC in the for sale section. All of the axle hopups were already done so I just needed to find a chassis and electronics. I ordered the GC-3 from TCS and it was here in a few days. The kit went together nicley! I plan on evening out the upper link positions to see how it drives first. Thanks to Redbaron, 4xford and Nova's Ark for the tips that helped bring this Lil Focker together!

Losi MRC axles
Losi rear axle set
Losi C's and knuckles
Losi front CVs
Losi front & rear metal diff locks
Losi aluminum shocks
Integy Steering (need to replace)
Gatekeeper Designs GC-3 Chassis kit
Eritex Comp Heavys (custom rears)
HB Rovers
Crawler Innovations Single Stage foams
Hitec 5645mg Servo
Novak Mongoose System
Spektrum DX3 tx and SR3000 rx

I'm thinking 3s
Attached Images

helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I've thrown this out in a couple of other threads, but how did you mount your electronics in such a narrow chassis? My GC-3 has a Mamba Micro and a Spektrum SR300 receiver.

Nice rig also!!! Your wiring looks clean.
Blazefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That is one NICE looking rig. Post up a vid of this bad mutha.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Awesome, another GC-3 build. Looks good.

BLAZEFIGHTER
Go check out my build thread. I just posted some new pics yesterday with all my new (switched to a mongoose system) electronics stuffed in my GC3
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZEFIGHTER View Post
I've thrown this out in a couple of other threads, but how did you mount your electronics in such a narrow chassis? My GC-3 has a Mamba Micro and a Spektrum SR300 receiver.

Nice rig also!!! Your wiring looks clean.
It will be easy, I will get some pics up as I get it done. The wiring looks clean because at the moment there is none

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
That is one NICE looking rig. Post up a vid of this bad mutha.
Thanks! I'll try to get up some video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
Awesome, another GC-3 build. Looks good.

BLAZEFIGHTER
Go check out my build thread. I just posted some new pics yesterday with all my new (switched to a mongoose system) electronics stuffed in my GC3
J

Thank you! I'm loving it so far and I haven't even driven it yet
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Ahhhh. That Lil Focker is so cute. You planning on running it bodyless? I don't see a body in your plans.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Great looking rig, love the wheels. What body will you be running?
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Rig looks great so far! What's height under your skid ?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Doesn't it bother anyone else that the upper links hit the shocks when you flex? I can see it in the pics above...
I pushed my shocks out from the chassis with nylon spacers but still hit the links. One recommendation was to put the mount on the axle on the outside of the mount using a longer screw but I haven't seen anyone else do this.
Anyone with a GC3 have any input?
SRQmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQmini View Post
Doesn't it bother anyone else that the upper links hit the shocks when you flex? I can see it in the pics above...
I pushed my shocks out from the chassis with nylon spacers but still hit the links. One recommendation was to put the mount on the axle on the outside of the mount using a longer screw but I haven't seen anyone else do this.
You can move the upper links to the inside of the chassis but you risk messing up the link geometry. Here's a pic of what I was saying about mounting the shocks on the outside of the axle mount. I have done this as well as spacing shock out at the top like you have and my shocks do not hit. However if you increase steering throw the tires may hit the shock. With running the Losi aluminum hexes my tires just barely miss my shocks at full throw with cvd's.

MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
Ahhhh. That Lil Focker is so cute. You planning on running it bodyless? I don't see a body in your plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloid1 View Post
Great looking rig, love the wheels. What body will you be running?
I'll be running a Grappler, but I'll probably run the stock lid for practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
Rig looks great so far! What's height under your skid ?
2" ride height and 2 3/8" at full droop

Quote:
It doesn't bother me at the moment. The suspension doesn't seem to be too bothered by it either. That may change after I drive it, though.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It just depends on what shocks and upper shock mounts you use. Mine is fine. It just barely touches the spring at full articulation. Its not like it is moving the spring or popping the spring off of the lower retainer.
But, like I said that is mine. I am running Vendetta shocks with Vendetta shock mounts at the top.
J
Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
It just depends on what shocks and upper shock mounts you use. Mine is fine. It just barely touches the spring at full articulation. Its not like it is moving the spring or popping the spring off of the lower retainer.
But, like I said that is mine. I am running Vendetta shocks with Vendetta shock mounts at the top.
J
Thanks for the input, but how does it matter what shocks you use? They all run in a straight line and are approx the same diameter so they should all relatively hit (or not hit) the links the same way.
I saw the pics of yours. How big are the spacers you have between the shocks and the chassis? Mine are 6mm.
I am using the Losi alum shocks and my springs do move and pop off the lower retainer at full articulation.
SRQmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the input, but how does it matter what shocks you use? They all run in a straight line and are approx the same diameter so they should all relatively hit (or not hit) the links the same way.
I saw the pics of yours. How big are the spacers you have between the shocks and the chassis? Mine are 6mm.
I am using the Losi alum shocks and my springs do move and pop off the lower retainer at full articulation.
Are the links or the tires poping off the spring retainer?The links won't do that normaly but the tires will if you don't have the proper clearance or steering EPA adjustment.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #15

Thumbs up

had the same problem with my upper links hitting the shocks. mounted the links to the inside of the G C 3 chassis, just clears the driveshafts, works a treat.
BADGERBOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Electronics are in and it was an easy install. The 3s may be a little too much, though. This truck had amazing torque and wheel speed... perhaps a little too much

The next things that are getting changed on this rig are the steering and the shocks. Does anyone know if the late model shock caps fit these shocks? I may stick with them if I can find some all aluminum caps.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Damn thats coming along real nice Ashton! Glad to have helped also.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Damn thats coming along real nice Ashton! Glad to have helped also.

yes sir. Thanks for everything
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Looks better than your bug for sure...
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It matters alot what shock you are using. "Approximately" the same size??? A mm or 2 in dia could make a big difference.
The Vendetta mounts are 7mm. I flexed my truck again and like I said, it does slightly impact the spring but not enough to move the spring off its perch.
The Vendetta shocks (the widest part, the spring) is 11.1mm dia. What are the losi shocks?
J