Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Loose bead locks on rear tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
i will deff. try the slipbead mod on the ol' prline titus'.

I will report back.
how did it go?
what tires do you have?
I have not tried anything but the flat iron but i would think most any tire would work, let us know
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

this would also make a 2.2 dig setup work much differently because instead of the rear tires being locked they would be like semi locked but still able to roll. i would be very interested to see it working with a dig on a 2.2 or super
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopmodmrc View Post
how did it go?
what tires do you have?
I have not tried anything but the flat iron but i would think most any tire would work, let us know

My setup is the proline titus wheels/HB rover 1.9's.
After checking this out last night I came home removed the tires. I found that you need to add a lube to the bead. "dry" tires will not work. I used a 100wt silicone shock oil on the inside and outside of the bead. Of course this was a super light coating.

I set the "tension" on the bead using only four screws, than added the rest after i got a feel for the slip.

I didn't notice a big difference on the carpet, but it did seem to turn a little sharper.

Today I went down to the local rip rap rocks(we have a comp on saturday on riprap). The rig handled quite well. It was predictable and drove similar to a Clod/Moa setup that had some clodstall. I found that a little throttle blip will damn near lock up the rear tires and that smooth consistant throttle is where the most slip comes from.

I need more wheel time with this setup but i think i will leave it on for awhile and run it on the local mono rock and see how it goes there. I'm sure it will be even better on allthe jagged rocks.

Great idea.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #44
RCC Addict

So here's my test with the bead locks. I used some ole 30W shock oil to lub them up and tighten them down just enought so that they slip.

There was a sugnificant drop in TT and they wheels would spin when there was too much preasure on them where it would usualy cause the truck to snag and flip... I think it's a good deal. I have mine set so that they will not slip unless under alot of pressure.

I marked the wheel and the tire with chalk to better see what's going on.

Here's the video - mind you it doesn't slip alot the way I have it set but just enough so that if I gunn it on the slope it won't flip and the tire will have reduced bite.

Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

what about using a bellevue washer from something like a 10L , and a small torrington bearing between washers....

happy i got some titus beadlocks and a few spare sets of tires to try out....
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
what about using a bellevue washer from something like a 10L , and a small torrington bearing between washers....
Not sure what those are but I'll look into it...
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #47
RCC Addict

I am going to use this quick mod on my rig all weekend at our monthly club comp. I think it is predictable enough that i can work with it. And it is easily reversible if it doesn't work with our course setup. I will get some vid/pics up.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #48
Rock Stacker

I tried this with the Losi Alum Bead Locks & Rovers but it doesn't work. Seems like the Losi bead locks grab the tire too well for it to spin. Anyone get this working w/ the Losi bead locks? Is someone working on an alternate solution for people with other bead locks? That would be awesome!
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Some other rim somewhere must work I would think. So far Axial rims don't work because they start pinching the bead really early. Like you said with the losi alum. Unlike The titus that need to be tightened all the way to grab the bead.

I want to see a 2.2 with dig and the slipping rear beads somebody make it happen. Any one also have the titus 2.2 rims

I started a thread (with a link to this thread) in "tires and wheels section" the other day but no one posted back
Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Something like this works on my scaler as well but I do it a different way.
I dont know if this has been done before but what i do is:

Front tires are the regular way with foams in the front and wheel weight
and I inflate the rears thats right air pressure rear tires with no rim hole

It gives you less rear bite and kind of overdrives the rear. IMO it looks more realistic because the rear tires seem to peal out more in the rear when bashing

It also helps stop the rear tires from getting stuck between rocks as they don't form to the rock as much and don't pinch as ez

Last edited by droopmodmrc; 02-18-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I'll start by saying I don't have this vehicle nor any of these parts. Just an idea that I find interesting.

Idea: Traxxas revo spec slipper.

Locks into the drive pin. You would not use a hex drive system. Would need wheel with special center section so that you can screw it on (3 screws).

Pro: These slippers stay in adjustment even if you take wheel on and off.

Con: Slipper assembly may be too large for this size vehicle. May be better sized for a shafty 2.2.

Picture the below, but instead of a spur gear you have a wheel. Depending on how thick this setup is, you may need barrell nut and/or different spring. Would also need to know the size shaft this fits on (I don't have the parts or truck).

papasnachez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Special thanks to soundcolor, Mr.Ed, and joesbruiser

After I saw them chop the rear lugs off off the cut and shunt cobra's in this thread: Panther Cobras, Cut and Shut by a rookie!

A light bulb went off. Thanks guys for your in depth testing

Last edited by droopmodmrc; 02-18-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Hey guys, I ran the beadlock mod on the rear of my MRC all day at our monthly comp.
Placed top 10 in our huge showing of super competitive 1.9's. (i've only ran 1.9's for a month)

I realy liked having this done to my rig. There was only one gate i could not complete on the entire day.
The increase in slip let me soften up my rear suspension on my Chino 1.9 chassis and let the flex do its work w/ absolutely no torque twist. Another noteworthy attribute of this mod is the turning radius is ruduced to damn near nothing.I have also done the Traxxas pinion overdrive, driving with the slipping rear beadlocks was similar to overdriving the front. Now that i have doen the slip mod the pinion is transparent Which really helps when in a riprap style course. I will be running this setup for quite awhile.

Pretty much in short, Try this mod if you have proline beadlocks. If you can't get into it, tighten the screws back down and go back to driving.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Short video I did today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPi6YaiJMM
Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Any new feedback on this? Anyone make an alternative wheel slipper design yet?
Have any other rims worked? I have been rocking this for a while and probably always will
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

WOW! thank you so much for reviving this thread! I've only been into crawling for about 1 1/2 months so I never saw this thread when it first started and the timing couldn't be better. The past few days I've been looking at what beadlocks to get for the MRC and now I know the answer.

I have a huge appreciation for your out of the box thinking on this man
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #57

Bump for a cool idea.

And I'm going to try to make some kind of slipper for my rears. A spring on the exterior of the rim with a long nut and a washer welded to the outside to adjust tension or something. Same concept as a mechanical wastegate.
God prefers Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Still rockin this on my crawler. Any one got any new input on moding this into the slipper in the rear wheels idea.

Sorry had to bump this again cause it works so sweet for me.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Loose bead locks on rear tires

Are the proline titus wheels any good? So there is only a beadlock 1 side? Does it hold the tyre properly?
I need new rims and I love the slipper idea.
Nik
Nik6189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Default Re: Loose bead locks on rear tires

The prolines are a true beadlock and hold both the insiide and outside bead, but the only use the outside ring with an inner tapered cone to hold the insiide. They work very well. I really like mine.

Tags
dig, losi, mini rock crawler, mrc