Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: newbie with MRC clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Git

Default newbie with MRC clone

hi all,

first of all. this is great forum with a wealth of info. glad to be a member.

i just bought an MRC clone and now i'm hooked. it was so cheap RTR so i thought i just buy one to fool around with. that was 3 days ago.

i googled around and found that my TEAM INFINITY - CUTE PANGOLIN also goes by the name of KULAK from HSP. seached for all 1/18th scale crawler and found LOSI MRC resemble very close if not similar to my PANGOLIN. so that's it, the chinese had cloned the MRC it seems. now its easier for me to get parts should mine break.

when i first bought it, i immediately ditched the stock tx and rx and used a fut 3pm 2.4 and r603 that i had lying around.. replaced the mini tamiya socket with deans and threw in a 2s 1700 lipo coz i really dont believe in NICD/NIMH anymore. the kit came with NIMH btw.

it was great with stock motor esc and all. joined the local rc scale 4wheeler and managed to keep up with their 1/10th trucks doing cross-country convoy.

found and used the MRC beginners guide extensively. changed the servo to an align ds610, added weights (30g bottom plate, 30g on each front wheels, 20g on each rear and 50g on the servo) and refilled the shocks with tornado 300cst silicon (my crawler was slanting to right ridiculously and found that the shocks were almost dry).

3rd day now. its now equipped with tamiya tamtechgeat sport-tuned 370 mabuchi motor. kept the stock 14t pinion. clone is now on steroids..

modifications i had to do were.. servo mount and dremelling screw holes for the motor (the mabuchi had wider mount).. this also prevented me from using the gear cover due to the screws heads. i mite dremel it to fit but still thinking. aparts from adding weight, i havent lowered the COG. our tracks are xcountry mostly with very little crazy climbs so i will KIV that mod for the moment.

as i said im now hooked on crawling. i used to be a nitro 1/10th touring cars newbie before going to rc helis and planes. been flying for quite a while now esp 3d heli. the challenge im facing now is learning electric cars/trucks know-how especially brushless technology. on rc helis, no problem. u can ask me anything under the sun.. the clone however, surprises me. unlike countless other chinese rc heli clones that i've owned/flown/built, the pangolin managed to survive the trashing i gave. maybe i havent pushed it hard enough. nothing have broken or popped, the ball links are still tight even after many assembling/disassembling and i havent seen any smoke coming out from the esc.

so right now.. like other big boys toys.. i want to pimp my crawler further. im seeking your professional advice.. thinking of upgrading to:

• brushless motor and esc combo
  • all alum blings esp the knuckles, spindle, steering
  • alum shocks
  • alum wheels and tyres (should i go 2.2 with wheel widener?)
  • spare body (maybe a bronco or ford 150)
last but not least.. i searched 'clone' on this forum and recieve no hits. would really love to hear others experiences with the clone. what to look out for etc2.. thanks in advance and happy crawling...
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
clone, hsp, kulak, mrc, pangolin