Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Is my esc fried?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Is my esc fried?

I've done lotsa searching and am having trouble determining what is wrong with my mrc. It's all factory except for the tires.

Whats happened since the day I got it(used) is when I turn it on it wouldn't do anything (yes radio is on with good batteries) , I would have to turn it off and on several times then it would make that high pitched noise that would tell me it's ready to go. Then it would work fine till the next time.

Now however it has stopped working altogether. The esc flickers red then goes out and nothing? I decide to test the connectors from the battery to the esc by direct wiring the two together. Nothing. The battery has good power so am I to assume it's the esc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
quadimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #2

Hey Quad, had the same issue the second day i had mine out of the box. I got a hold of Horizon Hobbies customer support and found they have had issues with some of the receivers intermittently not responding and rarely stopping all together. they said to send it to them for testing. They sent me a replacement receiver a week later free of charge(registration of warranty was useful). I hooked up the new receiver to find the speed control was fried. heres how i found that out...

Plug in your battery, turn on the on switch and check for ~five volts at the plug attached to the ESC that connects to the receiver. i believe the middle wire and the red outside wire have the voltage, but i may be mistaken. no voltage points to the ESC, good voltage points to the receiver.

hope that helps
FoxNoid556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

could be a binding issue. Try re binding it
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks for reply. I will try rebinding , but will have to go to my local hobby shop as I don't have the equipment. Any other ideas out there?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You say you upgraded tires... Did you add some weight to them too?

The reason I am asking is if you add tall tires, such as Flat Irons, and added a bunch of weight, you are stressing the stock steering servo, and more importantly the device giving that servo power. Your ESC may have been struggling all this time to center your steering channel on startup. Yes, I know this is a stretch, but it is an easy item to test. Simple unplug your streering servo and see if your truck fires up ok. If it does, then your tires / servo is putting to much load on esc. You may need a BEC (Battery Elimation Circuit).

Castle Creations

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Dimension Engineer

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SportBEC.htm

I have used both of these product. I perfer Demension Engineering BEC. It is a lot less hassle. (In my opinion)

I hope you figure out whats wrong. I know I hate it when my truck won't start right. Good Luck!
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Thank you VERY much for your reply! I tried your suggestion but it still won't fire up. I dissconnected everything except the battery and still nothing.
The sad part is I just finished lowering the suspension, flipping the motor and relocating all the heavy stuff to lower positions. Man I was eager to try it out!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

do you have a stock TX? they are junk. If you can try a different TX, see if that makes a difference.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #8

Sorry. What is a tx? A radio controller? Furgive my ignorance I'm a newbie.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

tx and rx is in reference to your radio and receiver. Tx is transmitter and RX is receiver. Welcome to your next addiction.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #10

Turns out I had the plug going into the"speed control" slot on the receiver(comming from the esc) plugged in backward?! I didn't think you could do that, thought it only went one way. After I remedied that it works fine now.

Thank you all soooo much for your input. I really appreciate it, that's why if thought I should follow up and say how my problem was fixed . So that others with this trouble might be helped.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #11

Still working!

Tags
esc, trouble