Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Another one joins the MRC fray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Great thanks.

I've sent out an email to Losi so fingers crossed.
The car still works with 3 screws on 1 side, but my worry is what about the other 3 screws on that side of the gear, then i still need to do the front and centre locks

I'm chuffed to bollox to say we've had a right blast with the car today.

There's several RC cars in my collection and the kids tend to get bored before 1 battery pack or Nitro fuel up with all of them.
The little MRC went down a storm today though, to the point where they were disappointed when the pack died

I think part of the problem is just lowering your expectations of what a mini crawler can do, once you've done that your more realistic over the lines and course you pick.
My expectations were that i'd be amazed at the terrain and angles this little car would go up, it just didn't live up to those expectations stock though

Once i'd redialled in my brain though we managed to put together a course that was challenging, but possible after several attempts and various lines, so we had a right laugh.

With the hop up's coming in over the next few weeks it can only get better, fingers crossed with the bits to come the car then amazes me with the ground it drives over

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Hello,

Mod #1
In case you want to prep your stock tires for future back up fill the back side of the wheel with 1/4 oz stick on weights. I would fill thefront up with one weight in each gap & do 50% for the rear. I would also recommend adding some super glue on them to keep them in place.

Mod #2
Run stiffer sprigs in rear to help with torque twist.

Mod #3
Change front and rear to four link. I am guessing you new kit will do this.

Mod #4
1/10 size survo...I believe you said you were doing this as well.

Mod #5
Drill new hole in body to lower it as far as possible. Trim where necesary to give you a low center of gravity.

Mod #6
READ the beginners guide post as it far exceeds anything anyone will say in this post.

I love my MRC. I have one with GC3 chasis and losi brushless and my son's is in build right now with 4 link and a few other mods bu on the lower end of the $. We love them. Hope you and your son have as much fun as I have had with mine.

Cheers!
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Still the help and support keeps pouring in.
Thanks guys i really do appreciate it

Been into RC for many years and am a member of several RC related forums, gotta say i've never received the amount of help and support before like i have from you guys here.

I can see a star appearing near my name soon

I think most bases are covered in you list, only thing you've got me thinking about now are the springs that come with the Losi threaded Aluminium shocks (LOSB1439) ok?

Do they come with a variety of springs or just the 4?

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

The Losi aluminum shocks #losb1439 come with the blue springs which are the medium in firmness level.

LOSB1447 silver Soft
LOSB1449 Blue Medium
LOSB1448 Black Firm

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

What springs are you guys using?

I've read that using roughly double the shock oil weight in the rear left shock helps with torque steer, does a stronger spring help as well?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Well a bad week at work and a night of insomnia seems to have played havoc with my mind.

It's seems i have (accidentally of course ) ordered a Mamaba Micro Pro and a CC BEC, damn those slips of the mouse button

At this rate they'll not be much of the "lil shite" left after a few weeks

As soon as my mind gets over my lack of self control in on-line buying please expect many more daft questions on motor choice

I think at this stage i better go off to bed before i order a XR10

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Doh doh and thrice dohhhhhhhh

Went onto the Holmes hobbies site to check what motors are available and ended up ordering a TorqueMaster Mini 33T.

I think that's it for this truck now, if it doesn't climb better than Spiderman with a rocket up his arse it never will
Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #28

when European or Asian. cars are sold in the states you guys don't go and put imperial fasteners on them. why would you expect the someone in the us to put metric fasteners on an American product.
craveman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
when European or Asian. cars are sold in the states you guys don't go and put imperial fasteners on them. why would you expect the someone in the us to put metric fasteners on an American product.

Because metric is an industry standard in pretty much everything these days, from cars, bikes etc down to RC cars.

I'd guess that over 95% of RC kits in the world are metric, the spares are metric the parts are metric and the hop up's are metric.

It makes me smile that Losi use imperial screw head sizes yet use metric threads in things like the new knuckles

The other thing is i could go to any tool shop in the US and find metric spanners, allens etc.
Yet outside the UK trying to find anything imperial is just a nightmare.

Even US car manufactures have gone metric, we've just stripped down a LS3 with not 1 imperial screw, nut or bolt on it

Lastly,
Be good to see some sales figures, but i'd happily bet that Losi sell far more cars outside the US than in the US.
IF that is the case then they're really cutting off their nose to spite their face, as apart from the very odd and rare exception it's really only the US that stick to inches and feet.
Asia, Europe, the middle east, Africa etc etc near on all have gone metric.

What annoys me though is, if Losi can't be bothered to fit metric screws and bolts for their cars destined for the European, Asian and every other market outside the US fair enough.
But at least include all the tools that are needed to work on the car, seriously how much profit are they likely to loose by adding a 5/64" allen to their kits

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

While i'm waiting for all my bits to come in i figured i'd put a list together to help me keep track.
In no real particular order these are the bits i've ordered so far.

LiPo's (Turnigy Nano's)
370mah (63x32x9mm)
460mah (65x29x11mm)

850mah (60x31x16mm)

1000mah (77x35x12mm)

Wheels/Tyres
HB Rovers 1.9 (67913) x 2
Pro-Line Titus 1.9 Black/Chrome
Pro-Line 1.9 Scale Rock Crawler Tuner Weights

Chassis
BWD Mini Wedge Pro Chassis Kit w/motor plate

Traxxas Rod Ends w/Ball Connectors (TRA1942)
Losi Zero Ackerman Front Spindle Set Knuckles (LOSB1432)
Losi Threaded Alum Shock Damper Set (LOSB1439)
3Racing Rear Hub (#MRC-06/BU)
Traxxas 1/16 Slash VXL Differential Ring/Pinion Gears (TRA7079)
Hot Racing Hard Anodised Alum Centre Gear Set
Metric screw kit
Losi Diff Locker (LOSB1433) x 2
Losi Centre Diff Locker (LOSB1435)

Electrics
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Mini 33T motor
CC Mamba Micro Pro
CC 10amp BEC
Answer Alum servo horn

I've got a couple of spare Align DS610 servo's so will use one of those.
0.08 sec/60°
12 kg/cm (133oz/in)

Still not decided if i'm going to run bodyless or not, i quite fancy the Pro-line Baja (3238-30) but from the pics i've seen of it fitted you have to crop it back pretty severely to the point where you loose the arches and rear motor :(

Still unsure about CVD's, would normally just buy the MIP's but MIP seem to have gone a bit downhill just lately, so i'll wait and see how the stock ones hold up.

Also unsure if i should try wheel spacers or not, read a fair few differing opinions, they seem to be a Marmite mod (either you love it or hate it no in-between).

The Align servo should be well up the the job as it handles my 1/8th scale off-roaders easily, if it struggles though i have me eye on a Futaba BLS152.

That little lot should keep me busy for a few hours

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Still not decided if i'm going to run bodyless or not, i quite fancy the Pro-line Baja (3238-30) but from the pics i've seen of it fitted you have to crop it back pretty severely to the point where you loose the arches and rear motor :(
I'm with you on this, it is a real pity that you loose so much body but it still looks really cool. That's the body I got I'm just waiting for paint.

Quote:
Still unsure about CVD's, would normally just buy the MIP's but MIP seem to have gone a bit downhill just lately, so i'll wait and see how the stock ones hold up.
Really? News to me, I've not heard anyone complaining about their stuff. It would be a real pity if that is the case as they were a top manufacturer of aftermarket kit. I'm definately replacing the stock drive shaft with MIP once they go South.

Quote:
Also unsure if i should try wheel spacers or not, read a fair few differing opinions, they seem to be a Marmite mod (either you love it or hate it no in-between).
If you run your servo offset to the left or right on the BWD servo plate then you may need to run wideners. I'm using the Losi aluminium wheel spacers and i get a bit of tyre rub on my servo. If you decide to go with the red G-Made wideners then let me know as we could split the pack as Don only runs them on the front. PM me if you are interested.

Good luck with the build, it goes together real easy but you need a bit of thought when placing the electronics.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Aye there have been a few on here having problems with the MIP CVD's.
One interesting solution was the guy that machined down LCC CVD's to fit the MRC, looked like a good clean reliable solution.

As you say it'll be a shame if the quality of MIP's stuff has gone down as for years they've been at the top of their game.

You mean these wideners?
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/2.2-Wheel...g-p-16233.html
Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
While i'm waiting for all my bits to come in i figured i'd put a list together to help me keep track.
In no real particular order these are the bits i've ordered so far.

LiPo's (Turnigy Nano's)
370mah (63x32x9mm)
460mah (65x29x11mm)

850mah (60x31x16mm)

1000mah (77x35x12mm)

Wheels/Tyres
HB Rovers 1.9 (67913) x 2
Pro-Line Titus 1.9 Black/Chrome
Pro-Line 1.9 Scale Rock Crawler Tuner Weights

Chassis
BWD Mini Wedge Pro Chassis Kit w/motor plate

Traxxas Rod Ends w/Ball Connectors (TRA1942)
Losi Zero Ackerman Front Spindle Set Knuckles (LOSB1432)
Losi Threaded Alum Shock Damper Set (LOSB1439)
3Racing Rear Hub (#MRC-06/BU)
Traxxas 1/16 Slash VXL Differential Ring/Pinion Gears (TRA7079)
Hot Racing Hard Anodised Alum Centre Gear Set
Metric screw kit
Losi Diff Locker (LOSB1433) x 2
Losi Centre Diff Locker (LOSB1435)

Electrics
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Mini 33T motor
CC Mamba Micro Pro
CC 10amp BEC
Answer Alum servo horn

I've got a couple of spare Align DS610 servo's so will use one of those.
0.08 sec/60°
12 kg/cm (133oz/in)

The Align servo should be well up the the job as it handles my 1/8th scale off-roaders easily, if it struggles though i have me eye on a Futaba BLS152.

That little lot should keep me busy for a few hours

Cheers
Mark
Your set up is looking really good mark, I think once you get this all put together and dialed in you will be able to raise your expectations of this crawler. As far as Losi goes they have two types of products R/C cars and glorified Toys. It seems like when something becomes popular they tend to release a product to kind of band wagon on the hype (IE: Losi Strike,MRC) And once they realize the popularity isn't going to fade they do a re-release.(IE: MRC Pro and now the XXX-SC) But all in all anytime i have bought from them and had an issue they always made it right so they will continue to get my business.
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaherz View Post
Your set up is looking really good mark, I think once you get this all put together and dialed in you will be able to raise your expectations of this crawler. As far as Losi goes they have two types of products R/C cars and glorified Toys. It seems like when something becomes popular they tend to release a product to kind of band wagon on the hype (IE: Losi Strike,MRC) And once they realize the popularity isn't going to fade they do a re-release.(IE: MRC Pro and now the XXX-SC) But all in all anytime i have bought from them and had an issue they always made it right so they will continue to get my business.
Thanks mate and fingers crossed.

To be honest though, since we stuck the battery up front it's made a massive difference.
Plus the more you drive it the more you learn what it's capable of, so you dial in your lines and expectations a bit.

Only real problem now is torque twist.
I keep looking at the truck and think about faffing with the spring, shocks etc, but i may as well just wait till the upgrades arrive.

That RC cars/toy thing makes a lot of sense.
I guess Losi thought that most comp minded folks would plump for the LCC and the mini's would be just for fun and to get kids into RC, then they saw how it took off and the amount of 1.9 comps sprouting up and released the Pro.

It's still a shame though that Losi didn't do a few very basic things like add weight to the front wheels or fit better screws/bolts.
But then again every RC product i've bought over the last 30 years has had some weak spot somewhere, be it the servo's, diffs, Esc etc etc.

All weak points aside the kids have been busting me balls today about course layouts, routes, lines and the car, they've not been like that about any of the other RC stuff.
They like to have a go, but they're usually bored after 10 mins and running or biking off.

Nefeli wants to paint it pink with pink wheels, and Fotis wants to paint the same yellow as his favorite football club (AEK).

So i think after all the bits are in and the car assembled i'll have to sit down and see hw far short i am in parts to build another

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Aye there have been a few on here having problems with the MIP CVD's.
One interesting solution was the guy that machined down LCC CVD's to fit the MRC, looked like a good clean reliable solution.

As you say it'll be a shame if the quality of MIP's stuff has gone down as for years they've been at the top of their game.

You mean these wideners?
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/2.2-Wheel...g-p-16233.html
I'd still rather go with MIP than do the Traxxas conversion and I don't have the kit to machine stuff.

Those are the wideners in question. Like I say, let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Was pretty much set to go for MIP CVD's and F/R drive, but after searching and reading up a few have reported the later Losi ones last longer

Hmmmmmmm thought i'd found some cheaper widners here
The ones on the various crawler shops have hexes at both ends though :(

If i buy a set i'll give you a shout

Shame we don't have companies in the UK making crawler bits as we're getting creamed on postage and import taxes.
I've been after one of the Jumbo CowRC magnetic work mat's for months, but the shipping is more than the mat costs

I thought i'd managed to sort a group buy, but as soon as it came to coughing up the money everyone disappeared.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Those adaptors you found look fine, not quite as wide but that may be a good thing. I can't see why you would need hexes at the non wheel/axle end. I'm sure someone may put me straight on that
However, I'd need to check the axle hole in my Losi wheels to see if they are 5mm. I assume the wheel bolts are the same thread as the MRCs?

You are so right about getting screwed by postage and import taxes in the EU.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Shock tuning and weight distibution are the two most importatant things with these little guys. The trouble of these two things is you ask 20 people how they set up there shocks and you get 20 different answers and same for how much weight to add to the tires. Looks like you got a good list of parts going so have fun.
toyw/me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Even with my very limited experience i have to agree, just moving the battery over the servo made a huge difference.

The truck climbs ok now, it's not really to the point of "woooooow how can it get up there" but it's still enough to be fun.

Only real problem i'm getting now is torque twist.

As you said everyone seems to run different shocks oil weights, springs etc.
But is there a decent starting point?

I think i read that double the cwt in the rear works well, but does using thicker oil in the left rear help with TT?

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

The ordered stuff is starting to filter in, i've got 4 packages to collect from the post office tomorrow and the LiPo's arrived today.

They're bloody tiny.
I'll see what the space is like with the new chassis, but i think i'll order a few bigger packs.

Got a bit bored so started faffing around with a few old shells

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by cbr6fs; 02-19-2013 at 08:26 AM.