Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Another one joins the MRC fray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another one joins the MRC fray

My MRC arrived today

Took it out the box, charged the batteries and took it round for a tour of the living room.

What a major disappointment.
I didn't really have very high expectations for it's size, but even then it's still fallen wayyyyyy short of my expectations.

In stock form it wouldn't even make it up a very low angled cushion, the car just tipped right back and did it's best impression of a turtle on it's back.

Not really sure how Losi have the nerve to call it a "rock crawler" straight out the box as my touring cars could make it up a steeper climb.

So after reading through the massively helpful guides on here i thought i'd try moving things around a bit.

Moved the battery onto the servo which made a huggeeeeee difference.

Saw the moving the motor around helps, so out with my tools.
Problem #2
Losi, if your going to sell to the European market the bare minimum you can do is fit metric screws

No problem though as all my other cars came with all the necessary tools to strip the car.
Checked the little bag that came with the MRC and yep there was a plastic spanner and 1 Allen key

They can't be serious surely?
So now i'd have to order a completely new set of tools just for 1 car
It's a good job i'm English and have a soft spot for old English bikes and cars so have a few imperial tools left in me toolbox.

Major, major league disappointed though.
It looks and feels cheap, the fasteners are cheap and have the consistency of chocolate, the supplied tools are a joke and the cars capabilities are pretty much laughable when stock.
This is first Losi car i've bought and it'll certainly be the last.

My Nitro Firestorm and Electric Blitz were exactly the same price as the MRC.
Both use proper fasteners, both do exactly what they say on the box (and then some), both come with decent tools that are enough to strip and rebuild the entire car and both are a damn sight better value for money than my MRC.

Here's how it stands now.

As said the battery over the servo gives a huge improvement, i can now drive it up the cushion onto the sofa.
Moved the motor around, then decided to install my own Rx so that was pretty much a pointless mod, will swap it back round again tonight.

As i've already got some hop up's and have new wheels and tyres and other hops ups on their way, i've invested too much in the truck to sell it even before i've had 1 pack through it.

So i'll hop it up to death and see how much better it gets.

On the way are:
1.9 Titus wheels
HB Rovers
A few sized LiPo's to try
Traxxas Rod Ends

I've already had delivered
LOSB1433 Front/Rear diff lockers x 2
LOSB1435 Center diff lock x1

Think i'll go all in and try and new chassis as well, just have to decide between the BWD Mini wedge or the Mini Juice.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by cbr6fs; 02-19-2013 at 08:25 AM.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Hello mark, The Mrc out of the box is pretty horrible and I think Losi realized this with the recent release of the pro edition. But no worries the mrc is very capable with just a few cheap/free mods. First off weight in the wheels is SO important once your Titus beadlocks come in you notice a big difference. If you are going to keep the stock chassis for awhile you should cut that battery tray and move the esc to the upper links. It seems like you are on the right track, once your parts come in it will be like a diff crawler keep us posted ^^.
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaherz View Post
Hello mark, The Mrc out of the box is pretty horrible and I think Losi realized this with the recent release of the pro edition. But no worries the mrc is very capable with just a few cheap/free mods. First off weight in the wheels is SO important once your Titus beadlocks come in you notice a big difference. If you are going to keep the stock chassis for awhile you should cut that battery tray and move the esc to the upper links. It seems like you are on the right track, once your parts come in it will be like a diff crawler keep us posted ^^.

Thanks mate.

I'm swaying in favour of the BWD chassis right now.
You get lower links, engine mount and the chassis for just a bit more than the minijuice, so it looks a bit more vfm.

I did look at sticking some weights on the stock wheels, but for once the tyres seem pretty well glued to the rims.

Any more details on how and where to cut the upper tray please?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I had to use a hobby knife to get my stock tires unglued but the Titus beadlocks should come with wheel weights I did full in front and half in back on mine. To cut the tray u basically cut it right at both ends so only the two brackets where the screws hold it in place remain this way your chassis isn't loose and flimsy. Doing this will give you easier access to remount the electronics to overall reduce cog and roll overs. U will need to make a shelf on the upper links for the esc. I used lexan and zipties to make mine. I personally run a gc3 chassis on mine but the bwd chassis seem to be the new thing everyone is running so they must be good .
Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great thanks.

Just placed an order for the BWD chassis with motor mount, so i think i'll leave the top tray stock for now.

I have some car wheel weights and am really tempted to remove the stock tyres and fit em, i have a package to collect from the post office Monday morning though and i'm pretty sure it's the wheels.
So it's a 50/50 bet if i wait, or get bored and cut the stock tyres off

Quick question for those running the BWD chassis please.
I've read the instructions and it says that i need "Traxxas Stampede rod ends x 12 pieces"
Could someone please confirm that these are TRA1942 and 1 packet is enough?

What's everyone views on shocks as well please.
I've read that some are using the Losi upgrade shocks but these are leaking.
Others are using the Duratrax Vendetta shocks but i'm sure i've read a report that the caps pop off?
I use some 3racing stuff on my touring cars and it's a decent compromise between quality and price, are the 3racing shocks (MRC-01/BU) for the MRC any good?

I have a couple of Align DS610 servo's in me spares box, plan was to fit these to the new chassis.
Motor and Esc i'll wait for a bit see how the stock one copes.

Anything else i'll need?

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

np bud , I run the losi aluminums on mine and they do leak but I put some plumbers tephlon tape around the threads and it stopped the leaks a 97 cent fix. I also strongly urge you to look into a lipo for it.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Aye got some on order thanks

Asked the question here earlier in the week.
LiPo size

In the end i couldn't decide on which size to get, as they're under a tenner i ended up ordering 1 of each size of these.

370mah (63x32x9mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11894

460mah (65x29x11mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11896

850mah (60x31x16mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11898

1000mah (77x35x12mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11900

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

0.0 you will be able to go crawling for 10 hours with all those haha. Have you checked out 10th scale servos yet?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
0.0 you will be able to go crawling for 10 hours with all those haha. Have you checked out 10th scale servos yet?
Here's hoping

I've got a fair old collection of other RC stuff, from touring cars and drifters to offroad Nitro's, so being a bit of a hoarder i've got fair few 1/10th and 1/8th scale servo's knocking around.

Plan is to use one of me Align DS610 servo's.
They're 12.0kg.cm, 0.08sec/60°, so not really a tree puller servo, but fingers crossed it'll be enough.

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Just tried fitting the LOSB1433 metal diff lockers ad my opinion of Losi takes another dive.

The front section (with the gear teeth) was fine, all 4 screws came straight out no worries.
The rear was a completely different matter though, all 4 screws feel like they've been glued in

Tried pretty much every trick i know.
Used heat =
Tapped the screw lightly =
Soaked it in WD40 =

In the end the head of the screw sheared
It's right in there as well, so i have to order another diff gear now

What is Losi support like?
Is it worth me firing off a email or is it like pissing in the wind?

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hmm i think you didnt do the basic mods, i think you stated some but heres more i did that made it AMAZING!

1.Rotate tires
2.Put front weight
3.Move battery to front
4. ditch top chassis plate and mount electrics on Y arm
5. take off some of the spring spaces, lowers it a tad
6. Pretty much all, front weight is KEY to crawling,

my MRC could climb 80 degree couch angles basically stock just with some front weight

hope your not dissapointed when you take it on some REAL sandstone!
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
In the end the head of the screw sheared
It's right in there as well, so i have to order another diff gear now

What is Losi support like?
Is it worth me firing off a email or is it like pissing in the wind?

Cheers
Mark
dont worry i had the SAME issue LOL! those freakin screws i swear are 'poxied in, haha i had to use like 30 pounds of elbow grease and some serious drill bits to get em out! its accually a good thing so they dont fall out but i wish they were bigger hex, then it would be a breeze
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrejects View Post
Hmm i think you didnt do the basic mods, i think you stated some but heres more i did that made it AMAZING!

1.Rotate tires
2.Put front weight
3.Move battery to front
4. ditch top chassis plate and mount electrics on Y arm
5. take off some of the spring spaces, lowers it a tad
6. Pretty much all, front weight is KEY to crawling,

my MRC could climb 80 degree couch angles basically stock just with some front weight

hope your not dissapointed when you take it on some REAL sandstone!
1. Nope didn't try rotating the tyres.
To be honest though grip wasn't really a problem, it simply toppled backwards at the slightest incline.

2. As i said i found putting the battery on the servo made a MASSIVE difference, it seems the crucial setting with these cars is getting the right weight in the right area.

3. See #2, i did try that after the first run, i really wanted to see how it performed straight out the box though, answer terribly

4. Yea i keep looking at the truck (it's on me desk staring at me ) i don't want to start cutting the chassis though as if the hops up's don't improve it a lot i'll want to return it to stock and sell it.
It usually takes around 7 days for deliveries from the US to get here, so the BWD chassis should be here Friday next week or Monday the week after.

5. Any more details on this please?
What spacers and what springs are a good starting point?

6. Aye thing is though i found that out in my first 1 min of crawling, you'd think the crawling boffins at Losi would have worked it out by now.
Why don't they fit more front weight on the stock kit?

I understand that compared to the full sized crawlers this is supposed to be a bit of a toy in comparison, but at £180 for the kit that's the same as i paid for my brand new HPI Firestorm.
The Firestorm came with a G3 Nitro motor, decent chassis, and ran great straight out the box.
The fasteners still look like new after 5 years and the car feels great.

The Losi feels like a kids toy in comparison, the screws and fasteners are not lasting 1 strip down never mind 5 years of abuse.
What really irritates me though is the fact that, if it wasn't for you guys and the wealth of knowledge on here the car would be useless as stock.
It's only after throwing the same amount of money again (as it's value) that it really starts to show what it's capable of.

Problem then is pretty much only the axle covers are stock, the chassis, wheels, tyres, gears, servo, etc etc are all aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrejects View Post
dont worry i had the SAME issue LOL! those freakin screws i swear are 'poxied in, haha i had to use like 30 pounds of elbow grease and some serious drill bits to get em out! its accually a good thing so they dont fall out but i wish they were bigger hex, then it would be a breeze

Yep i swore a LOT
It's bad enough the screws are over torqued, but coupled with the fact that the screws are some of the worst quality i've seen this side of chocolate easter egg it's a nightmare.

Did you contact Losi about getting a replacement diff gear instead of drilling out the old screw?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The screws in all of mine came out fine O.O, Losi's customer support is imo one of the best out there. Once in awhile ill get someone who is kind of a dick but it's pretty rare.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The screws in all of mine came out fine O.O, Losi's customer support is imo one of the best out there. Once in awhile ill get someone who is kind of a dick but it's pretty rare.
Good to know thanks.

I'll send them a email in the morrow see if they are willing to send me a replacement diff gear.
Long shot but gotta be worth a try.

If i'd rounded off the screw head i'd put me hand up and say i'm a fool and use crap tools.
But as the screw head sheared while trying to undo it, i honestly can't see how that can be the owners error?

Thanks again
Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

NP, But i would call them if i were you. I know you are in a diff country but i think it will have more impact if they hear your voice its not as easy to tell you to eat a dick over the phone as it will be in an email .
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
NP, But i would call them if i were you. I know you are in a diff country but i think it will have more impact if they hear your voice its not as easy to tell you to eat a dick over the phone as it will be in an email .
Problem these days is not the price of the call, it's the fact that companies stick you on hold for 15 mins

Tried to order some parts from a big US car parts supplier the other day, i was on hold for just over 10 mins.
When i managed to eventually speak to a real person the conversation lasted 10 secs.
"do you have ?????? part?"
"nope"
Done.

Chances are they'll have a European distributor though so i'll pester them
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

When I had my Losi MLST2 a couple of years ago, I had problems with the diffs being junk. They not only replaced the diffs for me, they sent the rest of the truck along with them (of course, I had to return mine). I'd say that is about the best you could ever expect from a company. Never was totally satisfied with the MLST2, so after several hundred $ in upgrades, I ended up selling it, but the customer service was always top notch!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Yep i swore a LOT
It's bad enough the screws are over torqued, but coupled with the fact that the screws are some of the worst quality i've seen this side of chocolate easter egg it's a nightmare.

Did you contact Losi about getting a replacement diff gear instead of drilling out the old screw?[/QUOTE]

Well i managed to get them out with like glasses screwdrivers, or the super small phillip ones,, i tried getting a drill with a phillips and doing that but it made it worse lol. but it was a PAIN! and nah i didnt have to call losi drilling out screws is hard for me lol
Old 10-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Ok man ill show you Heres A pic i quickly made!!