Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: HH 22T too much for the stock ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HH 22T too much for the stock ESC?

I just installed a HH 22T, love the speed, but I think it is too much motor for the stock speedo. The truck keeps stalling, the steering works, but the truck takes a little bump to get it going again. The ESC is warmer that it was with the stock motor, but not what I would consider hot.

When it stalls I get all of the normal lights. I'm runing a DX3R with 2S lipo (fully charged). Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I run a 17t hand wound comp motor on my stock ESC without any issues. Have you checked the axles for binding? Loose wires? Bad solder connections?

How long will it run before it stalls out?
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
dnf

What pinion are you running?could be geared high
You said the esc is warm,what about the motor?
Was the battery fully charged?
Did you check for a stuck brush? it happens
runnning a bec?could be the problem
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is the truck stock apart from the new motor? If you have an aftermarket servo fitted too then you may be overstressing the battery/esc. If you are not running a BEC then I would splice one in asap.

Hope this helps.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Bet it is a stuck brush. I had the same issue with my stump puller. check and clean the motor. I used a stock ESC for most of the season with no issues except for poor drag break. Large servo might also be an issue. I had a 7950 on it and it would shutdown, BEC on and no problems.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Bet it is a stuck brush. I had the same issue with my stump puller. check and clean the motor. I used a stock ESC for most of the season with no issues except for poor drag break. Large servo might also be an issue. I had a 7950 on it and it would shutdown, BEC on and no problems.
X2 on the stuck brush, this exact thing was happening to me before, and yes turns out it was a stuck brush....and a BEC is a must for this little guys.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You guys are the poo!!! Thanks for the info!!!

No, I am not running a BEC, and I am running a full size servo (TS-150). I have a 10A CC BEC sitting on the bench, but I need to get it programmed to 6V.

With the stuck brush, the motor is not acting or sounding like it is under strain or a load when it is stalled, is this also a sign of this problem?

...and to Ped453, I have to agree with your sig, fawk this shit indeed...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
You guys are the poo!!! Thanks for the info!!!

No, I am not running a BEC, and I am running a full size servo (TS-150). I have a 10A CC BEC sitting on the bench, but I need to get it programmed to 6V.

With the stuck brush, the motor is not acting or sounding like it is under strain or a load when it is stalled, is this also a sign of this problem?

...and to Ped453, I have to agree with your sig, fawk this shit indeed...
A brush can be hung up inside the brush hood,so the spring isnt able to do its job[push brush down onto the comm]This will mean a loss of power,as the brush isnt making proper contact.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Took the motor off and pulled the brushed... There are small chunks taken out of the brushes near the edges. I don't have a macro lense for my camera, so I don't know if I can get a good picture of it, but if I can, I'll post it.

I know the people at HH are a great group of guys, but I have to say that I am not impressed at all with this motor. It didn't last a pack...

I'll see about getting another set up brushes and taking a little longer on the break-in... I would really like to run this motor, it has a solid amount of speed and power.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
dnf

I think his motors come with the siver brushes.If so they are very soft,and the pieces you see missing may not be the cause of your issue.The brushes on my personal motor have some rough edges,no worries for me.

Dont let it discourage you any,Holmes has great customer support.