Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: BWD mini wedge build finally!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
4. I need some wider hexes. Anyone have any ideas other than the Junfacs and the RCP (which will probably be the route I run.)
Check these out Rick. They are 20mm wide and because they are plastic, they can be trimmed to whatever size you need, less than 20mm, of course. They are already the right inner diameter and the right pin size for standard pins. They also come in Aluminum for a little more.
onespeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Those both are outstanding. Thanks for the heads up on that.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

You are welcome. Thank you for the Axial straight shaft idea, although execution was a tad different, it works exceptionally well.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

After you push 10mm of width, you start running out of threads on the shafts. Just use the GMADE barrel nuts and again size as needed.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #45
RCC Addict

I did some tire work to my rig today. Took some ideas from the guys doing "clappy" donias in the berg world. I cut the outside lugs of the tires and then took my dremel to the side rubber on the tires. This did really soften the tires a lot. I hav enot driven them at all yet so stay tuned for that but in the mean time here is what I did.

This is the fronts sanded and the rears normal. The pics make it a little hard to see.

Tried for some better light.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #46
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Really interested to see how those work out. They could be a really good idea.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Really interested to see how those work out. They could be a really good idea.

x2
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #48
RCC Addict

I will put it on the backyard rockpile tonight and see how it goes.

EDIT-

I could not wait so I went out and ran it for a bit this morning. I think it is better and the tires would appear more pliable, but I can't say it was a life changer. I can absolutely say it was not worse. I will continue to tweek and report back.

Last edited by RickM; 09-26-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Default Re: BWD mini wedge build finally!!

I wanted to report after seeing so many of you guys posting up pics of the low pro. I really want one of those for a few reasons. First it does appear to be a great performer, and second is because I have found that Don and BWD is a vender extremely worthy as a person and designer. All that said my couch has been tight with the loose change lately and I am also really happy with what my wedge is doing. Here are some pics of why.

These pics won't do justice but I have been working to get more steering out of the lcc shafts and axle stubs. I took some internal material off the shafts of the lcc's

I also took a dremel to the top of the axle housing. I wanted to get my battery trey as low as possible and still do the ti rod as an ota setup. I angled the trey some to be able to get some caster outof the setup.

Other pics of the same setup.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Took this rig as it sits in the recent pics to a comp today and had the most fun yet with it. Most importantly I am not in a hurry to get on Amain's site and order a bunch of replacements for stuff I broke, which is a win in and of itself. I have no idea how I finished but I think I did ok. Here is what I think helped get me where I wanted to be from the wheels in.

1. Rear AX10 axle shaft mod.
2. Front LCC mod thanks to Dlux. Inner and outer shafts.
3. Obviously lockers, obviously steel.
4. MIP drive shafts. (they are a little heavy and I tried to avoid them but you gotta finish to win right)

At this point the rest of the performance greatness comes from a great platform for a comp rig (the wedge chassis).

Rockhard set up a chassis today that was really fun. The driver had to stay on one rock the entire course. A spotter and judge could get around the truck. I had one miffed turn and as a result wound up relying on the spotter to tell me how to drive it. The course was kindof almost setup in a bit of a bowl so you could see all around. It was a lot of fun to change things up a little bit.

EDIT:
I had been running memory foams in the rears and they felt a little to firm. I did some DIY cutting on them Saturday night and I also think that made a big difference in this little bugger.

Last edited by RickM; 01-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Just in case it has been a while. I made a few changes but here goes.
finally narrowed the rear end like BWD intended.

Different rear uppers.

The front is still, well, the front.

Then measured up.

Another version of my skinnny jeans side panels.

Now my struggle is this. I really really really like my rig. I know Don at BWD has made some cooler stuff, but I make a change to some cooler stuff, then I gotta figure it out, and I finally got there with this bad boy. See my dill'ema!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #52
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Ya know what THEY say...if it aint broke, why fix it. Obviously THEY have a lot to say but I think THEY hit the mark on this one.

Rig looks good man. I like when a cat puts thought into their build instead of just running the parts available.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Took this little fart to a comp today but did not get to run it. My son had t-ball practice and I am a coach, so I finished up the 2.2's and was on my way. I had set up all three courses so I am not sure if I was being cussed or not.

So some minor changes are coming for this rig. I am noticing my hub carriers keep warping some which is making my steering a little tight. I ordered aluminum so here goes. I also made my own link mounts and noticed they just aren't locked down as tight as I would like. I ordered some new link/adapters from D_Lux and I will be slapping them on also. So as good as this rig has been I am going to mess with it and we shall see where it leads.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #54
RCC Addict

i updated my steering setup on my rig. I did not like how my steering appeared to be binding with the plastic chub. I also did not like the durability of my self made link mount. Anyway I installed some new dlux mounts and an aluminum chub. Please note this is so I can run losi LCC axle shafts and stubs. If you notice I also had to grind down quite a bit of the axle top to get my servo lower and also get my ota steering setup. So far so good.

Notice the grinding on the c hub also.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #55
RCC Addict

The little bugger is getting some more "work done". I ordered a new BWD battery mount/link mount and got it all installed last night. While I was at it I wanted to make sure my steering was all the way maxed out. I got all that dialed in, but when I was finishing I put my wheels back on and noticed they are hitting both the servo and the battery box of Don's. I have pretty insane camber on these so I am thinking I might need to dial that back a bit to get everything just right. Pics to come once this gets taken care of.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #56
RCC Addict

So I got it working with BWD's case plate. I did do some work on it to get everything to work as tight as I have it. Basically I have the servo mount sitting about half way lower than stock so cramming the ota steering in there is really not that easy. The only thing I am lacking now is to hook up my servo.

I did resuce some camber. I also put a few washers in place and such. I am getting a bit of rub at the front wheel still but its not bad.