Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
JVS

Default MRC pro

Hey RCC! long time reader, first time poster here.
I've been bit by the crawler bug a few times in the past, but now the disease has finally taken hold.

been doing lots of reading on here, and after heavily considering and comparing the LCC, LNC, Axial AX10 and Losi MRC Pro, I've landed on the MRC Pro. Although the worm drives in the LNC and LCC were highly appealing, I decided I want something smaller I can use inside and out.

I won't be comping but I still want a tight, capable rig. Apparently the regular MRC needs a lot of love right out of the box to make it perform how it should, but the Pro already has a lot of these hop ups taken care of. Should make for a sweet little rig.

Here's what I'm thinking in terms of electronics:

Route 1, cheapest route - (Brushless) Novak Mongoose 1/18 BL setup w/ 18.5t motor.

Route 2, middle cost - (brushed) Tekin B1-R esc, castle BEC, Holmes Hobbies 33t mini torque master (BEC needed as B1-R only has 5.0v BEC)

Route 3, most expensive - (brushed) Tekin FXR esc, Castle BEC, HH mini torque master 33t.

I'm leaning towards the B1R + HH setup.
Regardless of which route I take, I'll be running a Turnigy metal gear servo with ~200oz/in torque @ 6.0v and 800mah 2s lipos.

Would love to hear your guys suggestions or opinions.

question:
If I get the 33t HH MTM motor should I run it on 3s and geared low? for low end control + wheelspeed as needed. Or is 2s gonna be enough?

I'm super excited about this project, and hope it turns out as awesome as it is in my head

Thanks for reading!
JVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I run the Xcelorin 1/18 system in my MRC pro on a Losi 2s lipo and it has plenty of get up and go. I am a tad over geared but it still has plenty of pop reagardless of gearing. If you dont want to go brushless just get an FXR with a nice motor like the holmes hobby one and you will be set. Dont overthink this one becuase you really cant go wrong either route imo. I never tried a 3s on my mini because I never really seen the need for such a battery on this little truck. That is something you can decide on your own. A 3s turns this thing into a monster which can be hard on parts and tougher to drive.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hi and welcome

Fairly new to this crawling game meself so i've not tried many systems on crawlers.
I honestly think that the combination of Crawler Mafia motor and Mamba Micro Pro will really take some beating.

The Crawler Mafia motor gives more wheel speed than you'd ever need plus it's silky smooth.

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You will be fine with either a mini mamba pro or a B1R both are good ESC's and if you are getting a HH get the 22t to give yourself a little more wheelspeed. I see no reason you need a BEC if you are not running a high powered servo (300oz+) and not comping.

I run a MRC BJ and run a 645 servo on an old mamba 25 ESC and no bec in comps and haven't had a problem. Granted I would have a little more grunt in binds if I was running a BEC but...
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
JVS

thanks for the replies guys. Based on the wide variety of replies I've gotten here and on other forums, it seems that a lot of this stuff is based on preference. I see people saying they would never run without a BEC, and people saying they do fine without. Some people swear by 3s and some say it's too much.
I've got a few weeks before I can make my orders, so I'll keep reading and thinking about which way to go.

please feel free to let me know your experiences with these electronics, good and bad. All input is greatly appreciated!

Jacob
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

Good luck with your build!
Crawl addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
JVS

goofed and posted the same thing a bunch of times

Last edited by JVS; 12-20-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: multiple same posts
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
JVS

Thanks for the replies guys!
What I've learned from reading as many topics on here as I can, is that a lot of this stuff seems to be based on preference.
Some peeps swear by 3s, some claim 2s is more than enough. Some love brushless, some say it's useless and they'd never use it. "150oz servo is fine" vs. "I never run anything less than 300oz!" HH vs CM. and so on....

So at this point, I still have no idea heh. I'm leaning most towards the Tekin B1R + CC Bec + HH 33t on 3s combo at the moment, but I have a couple weeks before I can make the necessary orders so that could change.

Question: (I'm a complete noob, so please forgive my ignorance) On the topic of CM motors vs. the HH motors; to the best of my understanding, the CM motors are significantly faster than the HH motors being that they're a lower turn? and they (CM) also require more maintenance? I assume running 3s with a CM motor is asking for trouble? Isn't it better to run a slower, higher turn motor on higher voltage (ie. HH 33t on 3s) for the nice low-end torque of a high-turn motor, and the wheel speed on tap as needed?

Thanks again for reading.
Please feel free to post your experiences, good or bad, with any of the electronics mentioned in post #1!

Jacob

p.s. it seems that 9 times out of 10 when I try to post something, I get a message saying "your message will not be posted until approved by a moderator", or something to that effect. Then several days of checking back go by, and still nothing. Is this normal? It happened the first time I went to start this thread, waited a few days and hesitantly created another new thread, and it went up immediately? /shrug

thanks again
Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
JVS

bad first impression, lol

Last edited by JVS; 12-20-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: epic fail multipost
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
JVS

Last edited by JVS; 12-20-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: multiple posts
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
JVS

wow I fail

Last edited by JVS; 12-20-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: multiple same posts
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
JVS

multiple posts...

Last edited by JVS; 12-20-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: multiple posts
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
JVS

Default thanks

multiple posts

Last edited by JVS; 12-20-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: multiple same posts
Old 12-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Not to steal this thread, but I'm considering getting an MRC. I gather that the Pro Roller route, even if you are going to replace chassis and have the added cost of electronics, is better than say a BND due to the quality of the rest of the components which would not need replacing.

Is this correct?
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
WTF
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Not to steal this thread, but I'm considering getting an MRC. I gather that the Pro Roller route, even if you are going to replace chassis and have the added cost of electronics, is better than say a BND due to the quality of the rest of the components which would not need replacing.

Is this correct?
From thread found here...
Del Monte's Mini Rock Crawler PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
From what I can gather from starting my build there are quite a few new parts...

-Chassis (obviously)
-upper links
-f/r link plates/servo plate
-F/R/C Metal Lockers
-Wider Hexes
-New rear lock outs
-Aluminum shocks (yep same ones they have sold for a while)
-CVD's
-Steering Linkage (Much beefier now plus 3mm to knuckle)
-Knuckles and c's I think
-Same wheels but Included center rings to convert them to beadlocks
-The better comp claw tires (not the super hard ones)

It really is a great option for people who are planning on changing out the electronics (the stock MRC electronics suck). If you buy this and some used electronics or cheaper electronics you will have a very strong 1.9 comp rig much cheaper than it would have cost you if you bought the BND or RTR MRC.

For me the cost of the PRO is justified and that is why I picked one up. Most of the included parts were added on to any of the serious 1.9s we have seen in the past and buying stuff twice costs more!

SMR 510RR
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #16
WTF
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!
What I've learned from reading as many topics on here as I can, is that a lot of this stuff seems to be based on preference.
Some peeps swear by 3s, some claim 2s is more than enough. Some love brushless, some say it's useless and they'd never use it. "150oz servo is fine" vs. "I never run anything less than 300oz!" HH vs CM. and so on....

So at this point, I still have no idea heh. I'm leaning most towards the Tekin B1R + CC Bec + HH 33t on 3s combo at the moment, but I have a couple weeks before I can make the necessary orders so that could change.

Question: (I'm a complete noob, so please forgive my ignorance) On the topic of CM motors vs. the HH motors; to the best of my understanding, the CM motors are significantly faster than the HH motors being that they're a lower turn? and they (CM) also require more maintenance? I assume running 3s with a CM motor is asking for trouble? Isn't it better to run a slower, higher turn motor on higher voltage (ie. HH 33t on 3s) for the nice low-end torque of a high-turn motor, and the wheel speed on tap as needed?

Thanks again for reading.
Please feel free to post your experiences, good or bad, with any of the electronics mentioned in post #1!

Jacob
So... IMO it seems these rigs are smaller/lighter than 2.2 class, with less weight one can use a lower torque servo, but not too low... still need to be able to wiggle the rig in a bind without stripping gears, the Turnigy with 200oz. should be plenty.

I love my Tekin, it works, programmable, ton of drag break. I got the Sidewinder for the smaller footprint, brushless/brushed capabilities, not impressed with the drag break or the on board programing. I've been told with the link it'll work better, don't know yet.

I prefer 2cell over 3cell lipos, but thats because my charger does 2 2cells at once, also the 3cell I got doesn't fit cleanly on my tray.
After reading through numerous build threads I am still torn between a CM or a HH motor, I think I may get both to find out what works... but I really think its a personal preference both companies seem top of the line.
Hope this helps a bit, I'm still a newb too so I'm hoping someone with more experience chimes in...
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote