Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My Ky MRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My Ky MRC

Got my MRC in a trade and love it. Stock motor with a mamba25, a rear 4 link I made, weighted front end, nothing in rear yet, and drooped front. Not a fan of the droop, pen spring inside stock outside(no oil yet, but still not much travel). Crawls steep but hangs up easy. Plans: install hitec 645 on home made mount any body have a link for some ideas? 4-link the front with a threaded screw and aluminum sleeve and traxxas ends like the rear as well, and make some bent lower links. A tube chassis is in cut process but waiting for a vice to braze it up!. Any tips would be much appreciated! I have pics but cant figure out how to attach or insert them? Url?
ronj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Old 11-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Sorry for the crappy quality and giant picture above, rear droop tomorrow to fully test of I like or not.
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...onj181/011.jpg
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...onj181/010.jpg
Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of MRC ownership

You need to working on your photography skills a bit mate, i can't make anything out in your pics.
Does you camera have a "Macro" function?

It differs from camera to camera, but the symbol usually looks like this:

Lets you get nice clear close up pins in focus.

Be great to see some clearer pics as i'm interested to see the spring mod

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the tip I hate my camera. I dont think it has much capabilities when it comes to tuning settings. I wil try my fiances Iphone when I get off work.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj18 View Post
Thanks for the tip I hate my camera. I dont think it has much capabilities when it comes to tuning settings. I wil try my fiances Iphone when I get off work.
I've not yet seen a camera that doesn't have Macro mode, even the Chinese crap i use for work and trackdays have a fairly decent Macro mode.

In theory even a really bad camera should snap better pics than even the best Iphone.
Me Mrs has a Iphone and sent me a pic last week, it could have been a pic of the Titanic for what details i could make out

Another option is to snap some vid

Have you moved the battery yet?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

My camera does not have those functions its a POS! Its a cheap camera/video junk from big lots. I just tried all kinds of things and no succes with it. While I was doing that my losi mrc was just sitting there off but plugged in and the losi lipo battery puffed! I could not believe it. I didnt drive it at all today and it was not dead or over charged. But to answer your question yes I moved the battery to the front 3 link. My mamba25 and reciever sit on rear 4 link with lexan. One good thing is that my turnigy's came in today (2 cell 1300 mah) tiny enough to go somewhere on it.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Usually they puff when the voltage drops to low.

My guess is the battery was around 3v/cell then leaving it plugged in took it past it's failure level.

I hard wire the switches on my Esc's so i cannot leave the battery plugged in

How does the it drive with the battery on the lower link?
Might well be worth just trying it on the servo as i recon that extra weight on the link has to affect the truck.

At least you've got the other packs to run the car
Just be careful when disposing of the puffed pack.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well since I got the truck in a trade I never got to drive one being stock, the previous owner weighted the hell out of it. The battery on the 3 link was ok to me. The new batteries will be mounted on the hitec 645 I guess. I think the rear would be a lower mounting place though, and I would have to fab some kind of holder because the battery is a bit big for the rear plate with my short links. I will figure it out after I mke a servo mount, looks to be a chalenge for me and my lack of cool tools. all I use is a drill and dremmel.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Just mounted my hitec 645 with some duct work, lol. I have not seen this mount yet on any ones, but it may not hold up either. Pictures to come this weekend. Also mounted a 1300 mah 2s turnigy on the servo, not really to many options for the battery is to large in my opinion. Drooped the rear with internal pen spring and external stockers. I am starting to like the setup you can climb some steep stuff as long as you don't get hung up at the top. And bent links are a must, its almost impossible getting over the tinest objects. Tomorrow it may hit the snow a little, expecting 1-3"! perfect... My video camera shall work with the bright reflection of snow...
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Nice one, look forward to seeing it
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Ok finally a camera. Here are my photos. How it is now: Homemade rear links(4" x 1/8" screw cut down with traxxas ends and aluminum sleeves) duct work plate, duct work servo mount. The front shocks are drooped with pen spring only, and rear are sprung with internal pen spring only
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m564/ronj181/
Next to come are longer links for the rear so the axle tilts back and shave rear plate down a little, new servo mount for the one now is rough and does not support 4 link. The duct works ok and is easy to cut. I also need to make steering linkage and if I can make sense of it reverse mount the servo.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Now they're pics to be proud of, good job

Looks like your pretty much sorted.

How much difference does it make having the droop setting instead of the usual springs outside the shocks.
Are you able to crawl steeper due to the CoG being lower?

Only thing that i think i'd change on that truck is that plate on the upper links.
I'd want there to be as little weight and interference there as possible so that the chassis can move around freely.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

You have a good point there on the plate. I probably will try to mount it on the tranny since I running a mamba25 and spec reciever there is a small foot print with the mamba on top of the reciever.
For the shocks with the droop it climbs very steep but gets hung up very easy in return. I not sure on the angle I will try to get that. I don't know what a stock MRC is suppose to feel but with these pen springs there is a soft bouncy feel in the rear and just not much resistance in the front. Like you can move the chassis all around really easy. I am not running any oil, no point these shocks are junk. The TT is tolerable. I use to be able to lift a front tire 3" off the ground on carpet from full reverse to forward, now about 1". I probably will go back to sprung with oil (new shocks) considering I see a lot of comp rigs that way so there must be a reason...