Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Full size Servo suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Full size Servo suggestions

Hi, I have just today been messing round with my MRC and the servo wouldn't move so I took it apart and the motor wouldn't even spin so it was thrown in the bin. I am probably going to get a GC3 for christmas so I need a full sized servo I don't really care too much about the torque but I want a reliable one as there at least 20 a time I also don't want to pay over 30 really. It needs to work with the stock electronics as well
Cheers
Ryan_m_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

your best bet would be to get yourself a hitec 645mg. they can be had for around $30 or $35 depending where you get them. they also have around 133 oz torque.
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the HS645MG
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For a little more you can get the Align DS610

0.08 sec @ 60°
167 oz/in (12 kg/cm)

Paid $45 for most of mine, and most my RC stuff are running these servo's now
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #5

I/my mum has just ordered me GC3 and the Hitec 645mg hopefully the chassis will come before Christmas as I had to order from the US because I couldn't find and sites which sold it from the u.k. The servo will be here pretty soon as I ordered it from modelsports uk.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Gc-3

You will love the GC-3. Just be sure to read the forum and pick up set up tips for it. Its great out of the box (so to speak) but benifits LOTS by some simple tweaks (clearing some binding of the links is priority).
I have a GC-3 that I have tweaked lots over the past 6 months or so. I am just tearing it down (doing a couple of 1.9 builds/rebuilds - mini juice and GC-3).

I recommend either the stock shell (cut off the verticle panels from the wheel area for clearance) or the Grappler (if you can get hold of one) - cut down a fair bit for clearance.

Check this thread for some quick mods:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...97#post2781297

If you need any spares /hop ups - drop me a PM (I am in the UK too) and have a bag load of MRC spares. I might or might not have something/anything, try me.

G
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Is there any GC3 set up threads? If not could some of you guys show me throughout pictures what you setups are and this will hopefully give me a good idea of what setup to choose
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_m_c View Post
Is there any GC3 set up threads? If not could some of you guys show me throughout pictures what you setups are and this will hopefully give me a good idea of what setup to choose
I just used the Search function and put in "GC3" and loads of threads came up. Not all for the MRC GC3 but plenty to get your teeth into. Helhedded's thread has loads of set up pics and mods helhedded's GC-3

Hope this helps. I'm in the UK too and would be happy help if I can.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Setup of a GC-3 can vary with each driver.
couple of points from mine (which I personally like, but others may advise differently):

Front upper links - in the bottom chassis hole setting.
Rear upper links - in the middle chassis hole setting.
this seems to help the chasis suck itself to the ground.

Lower links - delrin (slides a little better than the GC3 alu (after a while the alu gets scratched badly and can catch on rock edges - VERY minor point, but every litle helps. Run the GC-3 until they get wrecked, then think about delrin?)

Shocks. I use the Losi threaded alloy ones with softy softy springs (mini T pinks at the front. Red at rear right, and Orange on the rear left (to limit any Torque twist).
I mount my shocks - outboard the lower mount on the axle bracket. Front and rear shocks upper mounting - the hole that is inner and uppermost (i,e, furthest away from shock diagonally).

I stripped the stock reciever ffrom its plasitc box, wrapped in clear heatshrink, it fits perfectly under the rear chassis brace block (black delrin with the body posts sticking up) -some servo tape stuck to the underside of this block will hold the RX (I had the plugs coming out of the top for acess - if you flip the RX , there is just enough room to have the plugs underneath/between the chassis plates, but it sucks trying to work on the electrics).

A LiPo battery (2S 850mah) should fit between the chassis plates above the front upper links, either make a plate, ziptie to the links (loosly), or do what I did, cut up a DVD case (black plastic), heat, bend and fit between chassis as a battery tray, just above front upper links (eliminates any binding of links on battery plate).

erm..

BEC can hang off the side of tranny case nicely on a GC3.

I stuck the ESC on the rear axle plate (custom wired by my fair hands).

I stayed away from bent links, as I reckon the GC3 slides along nicely on straight links.

Tyres (Tires):

I have run flat Irons (then modded them by removing every other lug set = much better hooking) which work great on the GC3.
HB Rovers - superb, poss the best tyre.
Currently running X-locks. A great in between tyre (betwen flat irons massive clearance height and Rovers supreme grip).

Get some weight in those front wheels (I ran Proline Titus with 4oz weights in front. None in rear. seemed spot on)

Flip your tranny to give more clearance at the front for battery. Remember to swap motor direction or swap wires round!

erm.. this might start boring people, its getting a long post . . .

hope that gives you ideas. Check my photobucket pages for some photos:
http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/x...a1978/Crawler/
Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #10

Cheers for the help and advice it's very much appreciated

Ryan_m_c
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

well IMO, i just got a hobbypartz servo! works great.

only prob i see is that its 2.0sec @60degrees.. but it has at least 250torque at 6.0v!!
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Looking at purchasing a mini crawler just wanted some suggestions on full size servos. How many oz would be the best for a mrc comp crawler?
scteggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

180 at bare minimum. 250 or more is over kill, but is useful sometimes..

Get metal gears too
Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #14

Be getting my GC3 in 10 days now and I was thinking about batteries. Have you got any suggestions I would like a Ni-MH as I only have a Ni-MH charger and it need to be the normal 7.2 volts. I would like a larger Mah that the original battery pack which is 1100MaH I would also like to be able to fit it to the GC3 easily so I'm up for suggestions. Pictures of placements would also be very helpful
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

For those of us in the UK this is a good place to get servos from.

http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php

The HS-645MG is £25 from them
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #16

I was looking at the batteries for the 1/16 traxxas slash batteries and would it fit on my rear axle? With the length modelsport shows it will fit
Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #17
RCC Addict

it will fit, but its probally going to be a tight fit.. IMO buy the hobbypartz lipos for $5. they are alittle bigger than the Losi lipos, but cost a ton less.. i can get at least 8 hobbypartz lipos for 1 losi lipo.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #18

Default High Jackers!!

Hey UK boys!!! I thought this thread was about servo's, not a GC3 setup.

Last edited by Crawl addiction; 12-20-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Crawl addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Back to servos!!

Sorry my fault I guess, going off topic (I get carried away easily!)

I am running a Savox SC-1251. Its a low profile (i.e. not a deep bodied, so doesn't hang out the back of the axle). It seems pretty good. Torque is high (cannot rememebr values, think about 9KG at 6v). Its just enough torque. Would be nice with another 20percent or so. Being low profile though makes up for it, as it frees up lots of room for my battery (above the front links).