Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC RTR Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MRC RTR Setup

I have a MRC and plan to keep it stock for a while . Looking for shock oil and weight suggestions .
Briguy-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

make plates for your upper links and move your electronics doen to them and i have my battery mounted on the servo and i put 1 ounce in each front tire and none in the back
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Electronics have been moved already . Just wasn`t sure about shocks and weight for these little guys .
Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Weight as above, a good 1oz in each front tyre. Make sure they vent ok (if not drill a small (1/8th inch or 3 mm) holes (2 or 3) in the inner rim through to the inside of the wheel).

Battery on servo is an immediate bonus in removing high up weight and putting over the front axle.

The stock shocks are ok if you have to use them, but tend to stick along their travel. if you can splash the cash, a set of losi threaded alloy ones are much smoother and make a big difference. Other wise try different oil weights in the stock shocks. Not sure what is standard, but 35 or 45 weight might be a good start?
(I used some of my landrover's cheapo axle oil once, when I dodnt have any proper shock oil! Not recommended but it worked well! I also used to use washing liquid from the kitchen sink in my early days of electric racers. I didn't have shock oil then either! Now I have funds, so have proper shock oil.!)

I star cut the stock foams to help soften the tyres (the stock stuff tend to be very bouncy and literally bounce off rocks as it tries to grip).

Just remember the basics, try and keep weight as low as possible, every gram counts. Tires are your only contact with the ground. keep them planted (i.e. weight and shockss important).

My stock based crawler from around 18months back went a long way, before I put much money into it.
Being able to fabricate your own parts helps keep money in your pocket (eg. Four linking the rear is easy if you can cut a sheet of aluminium and drill some holes. Making links from 3mm threaded rod is easy too.)
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^yup
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #6

thanks for sharing
audiodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thinking of upgrading the stock steering servo to a Hitec 225mg servo . I see some run 1/10 servos , how do you mount them ? I was thinking of making a plate to screw to the stock mount and mount a 1/10 servo to it .
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i used 30wt shock oil.

IMO, weight on the front depends on what your crawl, but i originally had 1oz stock.. when i upgraded to a full size servo, i went up to 4oz each and made a huge difference.

As for the full size servo, you can get the mount from RCBros.com and you need to buy the posts. BTW, IMO the hitec has too little torque, if its the 150oz. right now im using a 250oz and it feels good. but alittle too much.. 200 seems to be okay.

Also, if your upgrading to a fullsize servo, you will need a BEC.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

to comment on Gfresh's post, on the cutting of foams..

I have found that trimming the whole foam around at least a few centimeters helped alot. then i cut the sides down a little, so the foam looked like a mohawk, if you were looking straight at.

Then, with the "mohawk", i trimmed the middle section with a star shape. that really helped the ability of the stock crawling superbly
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote