Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi shock settings on a GC3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Losi shock settings on a GC3

Hi guys, I have been searching for awhile but can't really find what I'm looking for. I am running a GC3 chassis with Losi Aluminum shocks and am trying to figure out the best pistons and oil for them at least for a starting point. I have already put 7/16 limiters inside and am running blue springs on the front and silver stock springs on the back, I got these ideas from my hours of searching, but please tell me if you think it should be different. I am still new at this but am trying to get a good baseline to start out with, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ducatibrian; 12-22-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: wrong chassis
ducatibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

GC3A on the MRC? Or did you mean to put this in the Ax10 section?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If indeed you are talking about the GC-3 (mini crawler chassis),

I ran blue springs all round - found it too stiff.
Eventually moved to silvers all round (stock silver = softer than blues) which freed up the articulation a fair bit.
Not sure if you have done this yet, but you deffo need to check the links and rods ends for binding through the full movement. As they come GC-3 kits (as good as they are) bind badly. The main cause is the skid plate rod ends. They need replacing with flanged rod ends (try Traxxas Revo shock rebuild kit - it has four ends and cost little) and the skid plate needs opening up about 3mm or so (file/sand where the rod ends sit to open it out , then taper the opening again).
This rod ends and filing will improve the suppleness of the suspension greatly - may be that you current setup is spot on then.
[takes about an hours work at most, to take apart, file, fit ends check, check and rebuild)

The GC-3 is a great chassis for the MRC. I ran one for quite a while, doing lots of mods. Just examine the links and springs etc through full articulation, and start removing the binding (I had links touching the chassis plates EVER so slightly - so 1mm was filed off the chassis plates, stuff like that all helps little by little.

[if you're talking aboot the GC3a for full size crawlers, ignore me!)
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Yes this is for the mrc, I had read about fixing the skid plate but haven't got that far yet, I will try to get it done this week. I do have a bunch of traxxas ends also, so I will give that a try too. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

outboarded the shocks in the rear, helps releive the binding. I also still run the stock blue springs, just use lower weight oil. I have not tried the stock silver springs yet. Had anyone also ourboarded the front shocks??
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatibrian View Post
Yes this is for the mrc
So the Mini GC3 and not the GC3A, correct? If so, then most guys who run that chassis will use a shock that is shorter than the Losi Aluminum shock....they run the Vendetta Rears.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Yeah it is the mrc, sorry I just realized that I put GC3A, I probably got mixed up because I just bought a GC3A for my AX10, but we are really just discussing the GC3.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ok, then yeah....I would either limit the Losi shocks or pick up a set of the Vendetta shocks that most run with the miniGC3.