Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: What now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question What now?

Well, just pulled the trigger on an MRC Pro Roller, and a Holmes Torquemaster Mini 33T, and plan to round things out with a Castle Sidewinder Micro and Hitec HS-645MG servo and Spectrum receiver. Do you think a BEC will be required?

First off, are there any setup, free/cheap mods that I should be aware of to make it heading toward compable? Tweaks and configuration changes? Electronic's mounting suggestions?

Secondly, are there any essential upgrades or mods that need/should be done right off the bat? Any known/typical weak spots?

I'll eventually do a chassis change most likely, but just want to make sure I'm starting from a solid foundation.

Once things start arriving in the mail and I have sufficient parts to make it worthwhile, I'll start a build thread.

Any threads you can point me to would be appreciated.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
WTF
Pebble Pounder

Gfresh's mini juice build.

Matt's Mini GC-3 Build

TC's Mini Moonbuggy

Jeremy's 2011 Rebuild - MiniJuice

The Eclipse

Winks Mini Beetle Juice build

MVP v2 build and test

Little Bastard

Start reading
these were just in the first 2 pages... plenty more go back a few pages...
The pro roller seems solid, get it break it fix it... your electrics sound good make trays for the upper links... Weights for the tires... some bent links... all the usual stuff... get the castle link, the drag brake sux... Outta the box the pro roller has been the most capable rig I own...

Last edited by WTF; 12-25-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more answers
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Cool! Thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Lets catch up on this, when the xmas crazyiness slows.

Does anyone know if the pro have plastic non beadlock tires/wheels? I actually think the chassis on this kit looks to be the most redeeming change losi made to it.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
WTF
Pebble Pounder

Real beadlocks
IMO the 4-link, locked diffs, threaded alum shocks, and the chassis were all redeeming changes... Definitely better than the RTR
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Went through those links, most I'd already read. Most involved chassis changes, which I don't intend to do, for a while at least.

So, to an extent, the question still stands. Does the Pro Roller have any parts which should be immediately upgraded? Any configurations recommendations? Does the Pro Roller address the internal gear issues I read something about?

I ran into RickM today, and we discussed removing the ESC and Rcvr from plastic boxes, shrinkwrapping them, and mounting them on a lexan plate on the side opposite of where the motor sticks out. I also picked up a set of Losi bent links today.

Anyway, stuff should start arriving mid-week from my purchase madness, then I'll start getting everything going.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What internal gear issues? The plastic Lockers from the RTR and BND, being upgraded on the pro roller to metal? If that's what you're refering to for the gears, than yes it has been taken care of. The only other thing I've read on gears is doing an overdrive or under drive change. The stock kit doesn't change that.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Another good combo is the FXR and Losi Insane motor. Great drag brake and low speed control with more than enough high speed power when needed. Weight wise for wheel/tire around 8-9oz up front and 4-5oz in back works well. Only upgrades needed are the aluminum parts up front C"s and knuckles and MIP driveshafts. Try the stock tires first then upgrade to the rovers later, they dont work that bad. Battery on the front links and keep your electronics as low as possible, outboard the upper links and all four shocks,(and flip the shocks also) not much really to do to the Pro. Losi did there homework and you could look at Rubbanecks and Del Monty's mini's (team drivers) LOts of good stuff there.
rockslyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

mabe some difrent tires like the chisels or the rovers
rocks for brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips!

Scottmisfits, yes, it was the lockers I was referring to. My bust on the verbage.

rockslyder, that seems like quite a bit of weight to put in the wheels. Another thread I read suggested 3oz front/1.5oz rear. I guess it's partially preference, and more art than science. I'll experiment. I did plan on running the stock tires initially, as they don't look too bad, then upgrading to Rovers down the line (unless Boss makes a 1.9 Boss Claw).

Yeah, it does seem that Losi learned it's lessons from the original MRC, just as Axial learned from it's AX when it build the XR.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I bought the Chisels because my shop didn't have the Rovers and I've been liking them so far.

I have no idea how much weight I have added to my fronts but I am sitting at 6oz per complete wheel and that seems to be pretty good. Haven't weighed a rear yed but I'd guess it's 4-4.5oz each wheel total.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I will weigh mine for you later at home. Since I replaced most of the things you spoke about already the only failure I have had has been my internal gears on the tranny. The locker worked but I stripped the idler gear (?) and replaced all internals with the HR kit that is aluminum. Made it lighter and also better for driving.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
dnf

IMO the only thing the pro is lacking is drive shafts.
Appearently the mip drive shafts are around 30 and weigh less than you would think.

I think thats about all I'd do,other than some wider hex's up front maybe.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The hex's that come on the Pro are 8mm. Wider then the RTR or BND.
But they are plastic I've been running them about 2-3 months so far so good I well probably get the CKRC 8mm alum hex's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
IMO the only thing the pro is lacking is drive shafts.
Appearently the mip drive shafts are around 30 and weigh less than you would think.

I think thats about all I'd do,other than some wider hex's up front maybe.
rockslyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I spaced my front wheels out 1/4 inch each side and I'm running 9.5oz ft and 5.5 in rear.
The first part I broke was the knuckles and a cvd Pin. I'd swap knuckles and C's right away, I fixed the cvd by putting bigger cut down drill bits in place.

I out boarded the rear shocks and flipped them but I cant with the front cuz it would cut down on my steering, I had to put a bend in my front links to let the tires turn more.
I now have as much steering as my xr10, I really like the set up so far.
baddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info, folks!

Ok, wheel weights, Rovers, MIP driveshaft.

I already have Losi bent links for the rear, a couple Losi 2S cube batts, and hex extenders.

I think the improvements in the chassis make a chassis replacement somewhat useless, unless going bodiless.

Of course, I've already sourced the longer term upgrades, alum knuckles, c-hubs, lockouts, eventually plan on Proline Titus, and they have a nice weight system. I'll just add that stuff gradually.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Thanks for the info, folks!

Ok, wheel weights, Rovers, MIP driveshaft.

I already have Losi bent links for the rear, a couple Losi 2S cube batts, and hex extenders.

I think the improvements in the chassis make a chassis replacement somewhat useless, unless going bodiless.

Of course, I've already sourced the longer term upgrades, alum knuckles, c-hubs, lockouts, eventually plan on Proline Titus, and they have a nice weight system. I'll just add that stuff gradually.
I had some titus wheels,I found them a hasle to deal with,amd not alot of weight options really.

By far the easiest wheel to adjust weight I have had is the vp's
But I think the BWD wheels are a little better looking. And I think I saw a weight mod somewhere on them using ?? I dont remember where I saw it,it was here recently though.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had some titus wheels,I found them a hasle to deal with,amd not alot of weight options really.

By far the easiest wheel to adjust weight I have had is the vp's
But I think the BWD wheels are a little better looking. And I think I saw a weight mod somewhere on them using ?? I dont remember where I saw it,it was here recently though.
Thanks to the tips. I bow to the 1.9 guru.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Thanks to the tips.
Showing up at the next comp will be more than enough thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Showing up at the next comp will be more than enough thanks
I plan to. Depending on what get's done and how much time I get to run it, not sure if I'll run 1.9. Just depends on time.

And for 2.2, although I'd love to run my Fastback, I think the XR is just too capable by comparison, so the Fastback will just watch.

Fortunately, I have almost 2 months until the next comp, so things look promising. Once the MRC is together, I'd like to hook up with you at Mike's HS and get your feedback on the setup. If you can find the time.

But I'm still waiting for the Roller and parts. I imagine I'll be getting packages from various places for the three crawler's over the next two weeks.