Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: JT's Budget Pro Roller Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JT's Budget Pro Roller Build

Well, after looking over the MRC Pro Roller for quite some time, I finally decided to pick one up, as I think it can be made competitive at the local level at reasonable cost.

Here is the standard base Pro Roller as it comes out of the box:

This is going to be an evolving project, spending just a few bucks at a time. After all, I also have my two 2.2 trucks to work on. So, minimal expense, most gain is what I'm looking for.

The graphite chassis is very similar to a common upgrade chassis. As such, I personally don't think a chassis change is needed unless you want to go bodiless. I did add 30* links in back, however, and may add them up front too). Besides the stock body, I picked up the obligatory Bug body.

My first mod was to put a very slim piece of plastic covering the open sided chassis, so that can be used for mounting electrinics:

And of course, gotta pimp the vendors here! I put in a Holmes 33T:

In the mail I have coming....wheel weights for stock Losi beadlocks, a Sidewinder micro (mount on side plate next to receiver), and a Hitec HS-645MG servo. I have also ordered a set of DarkSoul's wheels, which I'll put Rovers on.

I definitely plan to go aluminum on knuckles and c-hubs. Also, and I don't think it's in these pix, but I've already inverted the shocks.

Comments and feedback/suggestions are welcome. No cost upgrades/tweaks/configuration tips are especially encouraged.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Move the upper links to the outside of the chassis, and grind the turnbuckles off the front links so they can't get hung up on the rocks.
crwlnCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwlnCreeper View Post
Move the upper links to the outside of the chassis, and grind the turnbuckles off the front links so they can't get hung up on the rocks.
Good ideas. I had been wondering how I was going to approach the front lower links. Get another set of 30* bent links? That setup works nice on an XR-10. Replace them with smooth alum or delrin links? But grinding down is definitely the most inexpensive route.

I think I read somewhere about a lower shock mount relocation, but I don't remember if it was for the fronts or the rears, or how they did the change.

I appreciate the input!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ok, got a good deal on a used Castle Mamba 25 ESC and 8000kv motor (I now have two of these motors that I'm not using). I also got another set of bent links for the front. I picked up a servo, but it wasn't the one I really wanted, and turned out to be a bit oversized anyway, so it'll go back tomorrow, and I'll get something more appropriate.

So this is where I stand right now:

Tomorrow I'll pick up a servo, and get bullet plugs put on the motor leads, and then she'll be functional. I have a CC BEC, but I'll wait and see if it's necessary before just jumping in and installing it.

I still have things coming for it in the mail, such as aluminum steering and drag links, a set of Losi's wheel weights designed for these wheels, a set of DarkSoul's X-mas special wheels and some Rovers.

Next month I'll get alum knuckles and c-hubs and HR driveshafts, and that should about wrap it up for the time being.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what she can do. RickM and I will probably hook up this weekend, do a little teching and a little crawling. I'll post an action review to see if it was worth the money and time.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-06-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Great choice of parts on a budget looking forward to what you think of this setup.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A nice cheap/free mod would be to open the case of your receiver and put it in heat shrink instead of the case. It will make it much lighter and much smaller, and with space being tight on these mini's every little bit helps.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

looks good im thinkin i might run that chasis if i can find a desent used mini for a good price in 2 or 3 weeks. that is if my xr doesnt take all my money
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Picked up a more expensive servo than I intended, but I was limited by my LHS availability. On the bright side, I know that the servo will never be holding me back.

Got the bullets on the Holmes motor, so all I have to do is hook up with RickM and use Castlelink to config the ESC (and probably upgrade it's firmware). I got the ESC used, so I'm a little concerned about it working right.

If it doesn't work right, I'll pick up a Mamba Micro....the next step up, and more programable with the portable Castle Cardlink programmer.

I still have to outboard the bottoms of the shocks, and I'm awaiting DarkSoul wheels, HB Rovers and aluminum steering/drag links to finish it off.

Here's a body pic:

Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Losi offers a kit($6 or $7) to outboard the shocks. Nice work on the paint.
crwlnCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwlnCreeper View Post
Losi offers a kit($6 or $7) to outboard the shocks. Nice work on the paint.
Yeah, in fact I was very surprised to see that this didn't come with that kit installed. I thought it was pretty standard for this rig. Great build. One suggestion, take the same lexan you used for the side plate and make a plate for the upper links for the ESC. This will get everything lower and to the front right were you want it.
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the feedback and compliments on the paint. I'm just learning about paint, using liquid mask and spray cans. It's almost impossible to see in the photo, but there is a thin silver line inboard of the orange line down the top. So it's sorta like the side.

These colors are my personal color scheme:

The TC-5 was a pro job, I did the others. The AX-10 Fastback turned out well and the MRC is OK. I have a pro job of the XR-10, but he used the wrong color of orange. I have another body coming which I'll get him to redo with the right colors. And a body to put on my Stampede 4x4.

I've considered removing the case to the receiver and doing the shrink wrap, but my personal view is that the available weight savings won't offset the durability that the case affords.

Moving the ESC to the front links is a good idea. I put it up top as a stop gap measure and it's really immaterial ATM, since it isn't configured to run a brushed motor, the truck isn't running yet. I hope to get with RickM tomorrow to get my new wheels and to program the ESC. I bought it used so I'm not even positive it'll work right. Given the extra programability, I should probably get a Mamba Micro Pro instead. I have one of those in my RC-18T, and it works very nicely.

I remember hearing that Losi made an outboard kit, so I'll look to get a couple of them.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Here is a link to Losi's site if you need the part number

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1446

Nice collection you got there, good job on the mini.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockman View Post
Here is a link to Losi's site if you need the part number

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1446

Nice collection you got there, good job on the mini.
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it!

Yeah, that's a pic of most of my collection. Add in a Stampede 4x4 and a clone RC-18T, and that's my full set.

I should receive my last expected package tomorrow. I think the only MRC items are aluminum steering and drag links and wheel weights for the stock wheels.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-09-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

It's ALIVE!!

Met up with RickM and we got CastleLink to configure the Mamba 25 ESC for brushed motor and crawling settings. I also added 12mm hex extenders to the front, and bought a couple packs of Losi Mini-T shock springs for tuning. Until I get the outboard shock kit I had to move the upper links to inboard on the chassis for clearance from the shocks. But this will be a short term thing.

I also got my DarkSoul wheels, and they seem to be just the ticket. Now I just need to buy a couple packs of weight pins, and pick up some Rovers, and I'll be in business. I'm gonna use the stock wheels/tires until I get the complete config of weights and Rovers to add to the DS wheels.

I can't wait to get a chance to give it a good run. But with snow on the ground here in TX, it may be a few days until it's dry enough to run outdoors.

Here's what it looks like now:

Sometime in the not to distant future, I'll be adding aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, and maybe HR driveshafts, but that's about it for my current planned upgrade list.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Lookin good. If you have not ordered your rovers yet you might consider getting a custom set from Eddie at crawlerinnovations.com. He makes 4" rovers and has a nice dual stage foam for them. I ordered the stock rovers and single stage nova foam but now wish I went custom 4" as the stock rovers are small. The stock rovers are still a huge improvement over the stock losi tires though.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #16

Quick question, exactly how did you mount the four links to each axle??
bucks86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Having seen this truck in person I am not sure I can totally speak for JT on this but the four links are mounted to the factory mounts on the axles. It is a cool setup much like the D-link setup for the ax10.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Wow looks really nice, i used to have an MRC. With all the nice builds iam seeing here you and others are making me want another one.
nytuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, the upper links actually mount to the little servo mount tray in the rear, or the long tray up front. They have an area just below the top which has two mounting points for adjustability. If you look at the middle picture of the three pic post, you can actually see another mounting hole for the links on the back.

I've ordered Rover's from my LHS, but I may check with Eddie for 4"ers. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have.

BTW, I now have my new aluminum wheels on as well, so it's pretty much ready to go.

The ONLY reason I got back into MRC (I had a BND a while back, but got rid of it as it was basically useless as is, and I didn't want to put the time and money into it that I spent on my AX-10) is because I felt the general stock config of the Pro Roller was compable. You need to do a little work, but it's not as painful as doing a full chassis upgrade, custom links, etc.

Not counting electronics, my only upgrades are bent lower links all around, aluminum wheels and Rover tires. Add in the typical knuckles and c-hubs, and the center driveshaft when it craps the bed. But that's it on features and intended upgrades for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Well, I just ordered my HR alum c-hubs and knuckles, universals, and Losi's outboard shock mount kit. It's shipping ground, so it'll be a week or so I imagine. I also ordered the weight pins for the wheels I got from DarkSoul.

At that point, my Pro Roller will be technically "complete" in terms of my initial plans for it. And it should be done before the next local comp.

I'll post pix and an updated parts list once I've got everything in place.

I tell ya, going the Pro Roller route was MUCH better than starting with a regular MRC!

Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-15-2011 at 05:43 AM.