Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: XgerstandtX MRC Re-build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default XgerstandtX MRC Re-build

So after completing my LCC MOA and loving that i decided that it was time to jump to the 1.9 class. I posted up wanted adds and everything else looking for a mildly built rig.
I ended up getting this rig from el-fernando(thanks man). This rig is really quite nice.
\
RCbros skulz chassis
Losi alum shocks
Alum. skid
Alum. knuckles, C's, Lockouts,
HB rover 1.9's
Proline titus wheels
2 bodies
stock electronics
China MG servo 150oz servo
2cell 1300 lipo.

This was a great looking rig but i noticed some problems to really improve the competitiveness of this truck.
As i received it today:

TO DO LIST:
Upper links too angled, Will lengthen them and make them parellel w/ the ground at ride height

No chassis Stand-offs. Creates alot of stress at skid mount

Outboard rear shocks

Reduce travel of shocks w/ fuel tubing

Mirror trans to create more room for batt on upper front links

Lower body and make top mounts vs side mounts.

Add weight to wheels w/ included titus weights.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You should get the gatekeeper gc3 chassis. I think alot more competitive of a chassis. I saw some on the bay for about 40.00 new.
nytuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytuber View Post
You should get the gatekeeper gc3 chassis. I think alot more competitive of a chassis. I saw some on the bay for about 40.00 new.
I don't buy anything off of ebay. It's a mess over there. CKRC has them for 40$ I believe, and they support RCC.
Changing this chassis is just not in the cards. I am going to tune and run the snot out of this rig w/ minimal financial impact. It's very surprising what you can do with a little tweak here and there.

This thing has just ate up all my time in the last 24 hours. I really am digging how it goes together and how it crawls.
This is a photo of installing 1/4'' fuel tubing inside the shock body. This reduces the ride height and makes it much more stable. this also helped my upper shock angles. With the way they were it would want to have axle steer when flexing over simple obstacles. Keeping these links horizontal to the ground will do wonders for rigs.

The much needed chassis braces

removed the pinion spur cover

gave it alot more room to install everything

Cheap lexan esc/reciever tray mounts.

changed up the steering.
The stock assembly just created way to much slop and was sacrificing steering angle.
Used 8/32'' all thread and Jato rod ends.
Very simple and it really helped out the steering

Hopefully you guys are diggin it so far.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

a few pictures of this rig on the rocks at our local grounds Deception Pass Park, Oak Harbor WA.

My buddies sportsman build running afew lines:

Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great stuff.

A suggestion (you may have already considered): You could flip the transmission 180, easy to do and frees up space at the front upper link.

Nice rocks too.
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

meh.... my build thread is pretty slow. I am still really enjoying this rig. I ran it at it's first comp over the weekend and placed 5th, in our super competitive WARCRC comp. So I was very happy with it and my performance.
Before the comp i did a few things, made a rear 4link plate.

This completely reduced all the torque twist and made this rig much more manageable. I know it's not super pretty but it beats the piss out of buying one.

I also ended up doing a simple caster mod to the front knuckles. This was super simple by just trimming the out side of the axle case to relocate the flats, drill a 1/18'' hole and re-inserting the stock knuckle hardware back in. The front axle also got the treatment of some Losi CVD's. I haven't had any problems with these, but i believe that the LCC knuckle/cvd/c-hub mod will be in the future to add the width to the front.

This mod has made my rig way more stable while climbing and turns. It doesn't want to push itself off of the rocks and not push itself over the bead of the tire.
A few pics of what the final product came out like.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I am really enjoying this thing still.
I burnt up the stock ESC at the last comp. Luckily my buddy ruinx had a spare sidewinder. I shoehorned that thing in there. It is a lot smoother than the stock and the drag brake is second to none(maybe the holmes esc)

So after looking around at tons of bodiless chassis' i knew i wanted one.
I just couldn't justify the money for them, I'm sure they are great products but my income vs wants just doesn't allow it.

It is turning out looking like the Mini juice. I guess that's ok. Mine will be full side plates w/ spacers. This should simlify the process. I will run a little narrower of a skid.

Post up what you think

I am going to cut this tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You got it dialed bud. I'm glad you are liking it AND putting the rig to good use. Enjoy!

PS. If i had great crawl spots like you do I would have never sold it!
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
You got it dialed bud. I'm glad you are liking it AND putting the rig to good use. Enjoy!

PS. If i had great crawl spots like you do I would have never sold it!
Yeah took a little tweaking but this thing sure can crawl. Thanks for such a good deal

Started cutting the plates out:

Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
RCC Addict

This is all done w/ a jigsaw, file, vice and some patience. So don't judge to hard

I have been really happy with how this thing is turning out. There are a few lines i would like to be better.
This bodiless chassis will be pretty nice.

Inputs like usual are welcome,

The skid is basic thick cutting board. Will be assembling links and all that as the week goes on.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Ackerman Mod

If you want to imporve your stearing you can also di this ackerman mod. It will make the front more predictable on tight turns and the front wont feel like it's fighting itself. Also you will get a tighter turning radious than the stock setup.

You'll also notice that you can tuck your drag link under the servo and that will get it out of the way of the rocks.

AB Design - "M"VP Chassis
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote