Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Rs4Race's Mini Eclipse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Default Rs4Race's Mini Eclipse

I had built a MRC a couple of years ago, along with a rc18mt, but broke this or that and soon enough both of them were in a box of parts. I decided I would throw these things back together and heres the MRC. I had made a custom chassis before, but after a few months on the rocks and rollovers it was mangled, so I ordered a Mini Eclipse chassis from ripper7 and here is where its sitting. I thought I would share my build.

Im waiting on some parts to convert it to 4-link, need to update my sidewinder esc, and find some lower gearing for the 4100kv motor.

Im finding building this is much cheaper than building my 1:1

rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

I picked up 11t and 12t pinions today. I put the 11t pinion on there and it was better. I flipped the motor around to make more room for my battery, it leaves a couple of nubs sticking out on the front of the skid plate, but I will probably file those down soon.

I updated the esc with the castle link also, its even better, but I have no clue on which settings to tweak. Does anyone have any tips or settings I should try?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #3

I thought I would share some new pics. I have it 4 linked with pro roller upper arms, modified the stock servo mount for the upper arms in the front and used the pro link mount in the rear. I also used associated shock rod ends from I think a 8b for the rod ends that connect to the chassis. I also broke the front plastic locker and replaced it with a aluminum one.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

Lookin good! I just ordered some 1.9 pro lines and after seein this thing I can't wait to get the on
Apoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

Thanks, The prolines are nice, but kinda tall. They are super gripy tho. I dont think I am going to comp this, I have wider hexes coming, and if I dont comp it I will stretch it a little bit. I think that would make up for these being a bit tall.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #6

Well I did a little work on the mrc today. Replaced the old rear axle housing, cleaned it up and cleaned up the transmission while I was at it. I also replaced the springs with mini-t springs, green and silver, installed a 10t pinion and 62t spur, and new driveshaft front/ lengthened driveshaft rear. Some pics...

Inside the transmission, All metal gears

4100kv sidewinder

62t spur / 10t pinion

Modified driveshaft

Green springs front, clocked c's Working on new steering. I would like to use a low profile servo, OTA steering, still looking into it.

And of course the standard poser pics.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

How smooth is the startup and slow crawling with that motor?
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

I guess to answer your question, not really that smooth. From stop, there is a jump up to a speed. It kinda reminds me of poping the clutch in 4lo on the jeep. stopped and then a really slow speed, but nothing in between, not like using the clutch. After that it is pretty smooth though. Im going to try another battery I have to see if that could have to do with it.

I lost a spring retainer too... Anybody have any tips for keeping those on? It seems like one pops off every time I run it, usually its inside so its easy to find.

Last edited by rs4race; 02-08-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I super glue my retainers on and deal with spring changes through the upper cap instead.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

Im going to give that a shot, I dont change springs really so I think that will work perfect for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #11

Well I got an idea and ran with it today. I wanted to lower the weight some and I thought this up. The good thing is that it actually works..

I shaved the bottom of the trans down. Im sure you know what the original looks like, I estimate I took off about 4-5mm off the bottom of the trans.

I had to make a grove in my skid to acommodate, and while I was at it I elongated the holes in my motor mount to rotate it clockwise, and the motor down another 1mm or so.

I did have to clearance a few parts on the chassis to get everything back together, but I think it turned out great.

Next on the the to do list is a new steering setup. I ordered a BMS-705MG Low Profile High Torque Servo after seeing it on another forum members mrc. It has roughly 2x the tq of the standard servo which works pretty good for me most of the time, and is also fairly compact. Im going to mount this and do a OTA steering setup. Im also thinking about creating a new 4 link mount for the rear axle.

Thats all for now, let me know what you guys think of the tranny mod.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

superb work, great idea in lowering the motor/trans.
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Default Re: Rs4Race's Mini Eclipse

This wound up in a box in the closet again... but recently I took it out and started building again. I did a few little tweaks. mounted the front servo, remounted the lower shock mounts, redid the front 4 link... I'm working on some knuckle weights, mounting electronics, servo skid, and have a one piece tie rod and one piece drag link to tap and install.

On to some pics.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I like it! Now butcher up those flatirons so it can get some grip!
99xjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xjlove View Post
I like it! Now butcher up those flatirons so it can get some grip!
Could you explain or provide a link? Im curious what you mean by butcher.

I currently run them with no foams and ~2oz of bb's in the fronts, this is air tight and I think its kinda cool. My plan is to remove the bb's and replace the weight of them with knuckle weights.

The grip it has is pretty good like it is, they do squash pretty well just like an aired down 1:1 rig. I imagine that they would be better if they were a little softer, or maybe not as tall.

On another note I want to get this in competition form. Right now it is in spec, but from what I see alot of the successfull mrc's on this site look wider than mine, and with smaller tires...

My current specs are
8.5" wheelbase
~7.25" width (8" limit?)
2.6lbs overall W/ big 2s lipo (I overcharged my 350mah 3s lipo.. much smaller)

~1.5" belly clearance.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Could you explain or provide a link? Im curious what you mean by butcher.

I currently run them with no foams and ~2oz of bb's in the fronts, this is air tight and I think its kinda cool. My plan is to remove the bb's and replace the weight of them with knuckle weights.

The grip it has is pretty good like it is, they do squash pretty well just like an aired down 1:1 rig. I imagine that they would be better if they were a little softer, or maybe not as tall.

On another note I want to get this in competition form. Right now it is in spec, but from what I see alot of the successfull mrc's on this site look wider than mine, and with smaller tires...

My current specs are
8.5" wheelbase
~7.25" width (8" limit?)
2.6lbs overall W/ big 2s lipo (I overcharged my 350mah 3s lipo.. much smaller)

~1.5" belly clearance.
check out my build or xj99's build to see cut up flat irons.
yeah get rid of the bb's and put foam back in it will work better.
ans yes 8" is limit for width.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

good looking rig. "butcher" that sounds nice.
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

All of the shiny spots are where I removed lugs. Basically you remove every other outter lug and then the home plate shaped ones for a simple set. I went a little extreme on mine and removed around half of the lugs per tire.

Pics for ya

This one probably shows them the best. I ended up removing the entire center section on the ones where I left the outter lugs.
99xjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #19

Thanks for the pics. I'm not sure I want to hack mine up like that. Is the improvement huge? I was thinking about getting a hot knife and siping them like 1:1 tires. not sure though.

Meanwhile Im working on some knuckle weights. This is 1.5oz so far, I should be up to 2.3 by the time I'm finished and if I get something to widen my stance even more.

Pic so far. The concept is to add the bulk of the weight under the axle centerline. In theory this should lower the cg more, with less weight, than wheel weights.

Last edited by rs4race; 06-15-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

SO what happened to this i want an up date and a video NOW!! lol jk it would be nice tho
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote