Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: CG3 Build Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CG3 Build Question

I just put together my GC3 but have binding in the lower links & skid plate so want to switch to the flanged ball ends along with expanding the skid plate opening like suggested.

The trouble I'm running into is that now that I have the flanged ball ends I am having a hell of a time removing the ones that come w/ the GC3 kit. I had to use pliers to pop those little suckers in so how do I get them out to put the flangged ones without breaking the link ends?

Thanks!
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Its not really easy if at all possible, to remove balls from rod ends without either breaking the plastic or wearing it to the point were its loose fitting after.

I usually buy the traxxas Revo shock (GTR) rebuild kit, it has 4x rod ends/balls which are perfect.
I don't think buying loose balls and trying to fit them is a good idea, as any slight difference in sizes wil result in either really loose balls (!) or too tight and risk splitting the plastic.

Here are a photo of my previous mini , GC-3. You can't really see the rods ends that well, but its the only underside shot I have. After the mod the suspension really smoothed out, making crawling much better. Especially drop offs, where you need the usspension to work smoothly and allow the rig to "fall" in to place - tight binding links result in the rig being too rigid and not supple enough (I had lots of over-balancing due to the binding and limitation of the links).

Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

That makes sense. Was not sure if I was supposed to use the rod ends that come w/ the revo flanged ball end since it's larger than the ones that comes w/ the GC3. I went ahead and used the Revo ones so got it in there. Had to file the skid plate quite a bit to make it all fit.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
Its not really easy if at all possible, to remove balls from rod ends without either breaking the plastic or wearing it to the point were its loose fitting after.

I usually buy the traxxas Revo shock (GTR) rebuild kit, it has 4x rod ends/balls which are perfect.
I don't think buying loose balls and trying to fit them is a good idea, as any slight difference in sizes wil result in either really loose balls (!) or too tight and risk splitting the plastic.

Here are a photo of my previous mini , GC-3. You can't really see the rods ends that well, but its the only underside shot I have. After the mod the suspension really smoothed out, making crawling much better. Especially drop offs, where you need the usspension to work smoothly and allow the rig to "fall" in to place - tight binding links result in the rig being too rigid and not supple enough (I had lots of over-balancing due to the binding and limitation of the links).

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #4

Best damn tool I ever bought is a little set of Ball Link Pliers. Pops the little suckers right in and out like buttah.
killboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks. I actually have thos ball link pliers but couldn't get those suckers out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killboy View Post
Best damn tool I ever bought is a little set of Ball Link Pliers. Pops the little suckers right in and out like buttah.