Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Threaded Shock Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Losi Threaded Shock Question

I am new to crawling & the MRC. I bought an MRC and the GC3 chassis aloing w/ the losi aluminum threaded shocks and losi alum bead locks. I am using 35wt oil and the stock silver springs on all but the rear driver side shock where I'm using the blue one. The suspension doesn't seem to be as "loose" or "soft" as my Losi Micro Rock Crawler. Is this right or should the suspension/springs in the MRC move as freely as the McRC?

BTW - I have pretty much zero pretension on the threaded shocks & am using the stock piston. Now since I'm new to this I'm not sure if I filled & bled the shocks correctly. I just poured oil in there & put the cap back on so throwing this out in case that's part of my issue! Thanks for the help
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You realy can't compare the 2 trucks (micro vs mini) as they are very different in weight and suspension design. I have those same shocks on my GC2 mini and run 30wt oil with the Silver springs in front and the Blues in back. Drive it and see how it works,then change springs or oil weight and try it again until it drives the way YOU like it. You will probly only get 1 battery pack through the truck before the oil runs out of the shocks anyway,these shocks leak worse than any other I have tried on any RC car of any kind.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Makes sense. Being completely new to RC cars I just wasn't sure what I should expect so sicne the suspension in the MRC is stiffer I was wondering if it was something I'm doing wrong w/ the shocks. If the MRC w/ the Losi Threaded shocks is normally much stiffer than the McRC then I'm fine just checking.

BTW - Yes I've already noticed one of my Losi Threaded shocks leaks. I read about some things to do to help this (plumbing teflon tape) so will be trying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
You realy can't compare the 2 trucks (micro vs mini) as they are very different in weight and suspension design. I have those same shocks on my GC2 mini and run 30wt oil with the Silver springs in front and the Blues in back. Drive it and see how it works,then change springs or oil weight and try it again until it drives the way YOU like it. You will probly only get 1 battery pack through the truck before the oil runs out of the shocks anyway,these shocks leak worse than any other I have tried on any RC car of any kind.
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
BTW - Yes I've already noticed one of my Losi Threaded shocks leaks. I read about some things to do to help this (plumbing teflon tape) so will be trying that.
Try these shock cartridges on them:
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...--Seals/Detail

They have an o-ring at the base of the threads. Since I installed them on my Losi Alum shocks, they havent leaked a drop.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Those cartridges work awesome, since putting them in mine haven't leaked a drop. Also did you do the mod to the skid plate on the gc3 chassis? It will get rid of the binding and move much more free.
ducatibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Had my losi threaded shocks nearly 2 years. Never leaked a drop of oil.
They've had some abuse too, been on three different builds, with numerous springs and oil changes.
Currently holding their 45w oil for the past 6 months.

Maybe I got lucky!

(shock rod ends fall off unless I superglue them in place , and weem to wear around the ball quickly)

Note to GC-3 new owners,
do the skid mod (file the openings out an extra 4mm or so, fit traxas revo shock rod ends (flanged balls) for more articulation, get rid of the binding and much softer supple suspension ( I ran mini T pinks (super soft) springs and get full articulation easily)
and check for any other binds (chassis verticle plates touching upper links (file plate a 1mm or so to clear).

All the best

g
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote