Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: comp worthy flat irons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default comp worthy flat irons

i bought a set of axial wheels that came with flat irons. tried them on the rocks and did not like the way they worked so i was determined to figure out a way to make them better hahaha. this is what i did

i have yet to try them but they feel and look better already. i might simple green them to get some more softness if i desire but i wanted to try them out first before i did

what do you all think???
98sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A while back there was a thread about butchard flat irons. The OP cut out every other row and he said that they hooked up really well.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If anything they are the sickest looking tire out there. I run them and they are not the best but I like it for looks. If only they were slightly shorter and not so tall.
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i quit screwing around with tires to make them into "comp worthy" haha the flat irons are nice but not for what i do so i just bought some rovers.lol.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I ran modded FlatIrons a while back, cut out every other set of lugs, so it ended up more like a "paddle" tyre. Hooked up MUCH better than standard.
I still ended up runing Rovers (modded to 4.25" diameter) : they are hard to beat!
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

ya thats for sure...im stuck between a rock and a hard place here i want to buy proline titus wheels and a juice chassis but only have enough money for one now. anyone have any imput??? im running the axial beadlocks on my stocker at the moment
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sahara View Post
ya thats for sure...im stuck between a rock and a hard place here i want to buy proline titus wheels and a juice chassis but only have enough money for one now. anyone have any imput??? im running the axial beadlocks on my stocker at the moment
I had some Titus 1.9 wheels, they are pretty good. I now run some alloy beadlocks though. The titus had a good weight system though.
I recently finished my mini juice build too.

It depends what you want to do:
The juice build will require more than just the chassis, i.e. you will need to make/buy new links and rod ends, and some panels at least. So be prepared a little further spending.
However, it makes for an amazing chassis, i LOVE mine. It is a massive improvement over the stock chassis.
It will give you a great platform to further improve on (i,e, start swapping stuff over to uprated items, motor, shocks etc etc).

The Titus won't really give you much advantage over some wieghted axial wheels, just a different look I guess (IMO).

In a nutshell, stick with the Axial wheels, buy a juice chassis and plan your build (and cash) carefully.
(thats my opinion only)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

In my opion, you allready have rims....so spend your bucks on a good chassis...rims are cool but they are only as good as the rubber around them. Chassis is one of the best performace upgrades you can make.

here's the link for the butcherd flat irons.

Butchered Flat Irons...ROCK!

Last edited by Mr. Ed; 03-10-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

thanks for tthe link. i shouldnt have said stocker i guess this is what im running for upgrades

front steel diff lockers
rear steel diff lockers
hot racing front adj. shocks
hot racing rear adj. shocks
hot racing rear bent lower links
traxxas overdrive mod in the front
hot racing aluminum knuckles (modded for zero ackerman)
hot racing aluminum front c’s
motor and tranny flipped 180 degrees
custom front and rear four link
hitec hs5645mg servo(1/10 servo)
rc bros front servo and four link mount
tekin b1r
custom steering linkage
4 800 mah lipos and two 610 mah lipos
holmes 33t torque master

that kind of sums it up. so next step is chassis i guess... and some better shocks than those stupid hot racing ones(i hate them)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

- that sounds like you are sorted, get the mini juice and you will have a great crawler with those bits!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

does the simple green degrade the tires from prolong use, like eating away the rubber at all
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just completed the cutting every other lug off via a lexan scissors. It took me about 1.5 hours. Who knew the Proline rubber was so dam tough. I then ran a comp with them & they are worlds better but my truck still sits to high for me. I switched back to my rovers. I like to use them at my local climbing area. And you are right they just look plain cool.
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote