Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: I Think My Stock Servo Just Died.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question I Think My Stock Servo Just Died.

So my stock servo just stopped working today. I read this would eventually happened so not a surprised but I've had this thing for just 2 weeks & I was just doing some playing around in the back yard so no serious crawling. I do have the GC3 chassis along w/ Losi Alum Bed locks & no servo saver so I guess I was pushing my luck. It all of the sudden just stopped responding. No movement at all & it was stuck in one position and I couldn't move it even by hand. Rebound it & it moved in one direction but then bound up again so I take it the servo died right?

So as far I've read it seems that the Hitec 645MG or 5645MG, wich is the digital version of the 645 and has higher torque, are good choices.

My question is does it matter wich one of these & what else will I need to get this working on my MRC? I have the GC3 chassi so i have mounting plate for the servo and I know I have to purchase a servo horn cause the stock ones don't fit hitec but anything else? Like will the stock steering links work? Also, I have the stock ESC & Motor & Transmitter. Would I need to upgrade any of those to do this right?

Thanks!
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Yeah, it's dead...

If you plan on being rough on it then it seems you've already got the right idea for a servo. That'll require a servo mount that'll accommodate a full size servo.

I recently ordered a pro race roller and am thinking that the Hitec 5245 will be enough for me. My first mini crawler got a 645 after killing the stock one. Only reason for current selection is to try to keep the stuff on the front axle tidy and in a small package. That may change if it doesn't last...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I figured it was dead so thanks. I had just read your post about your pro roller order. Looks like a great setup. I was toying w/ the idea of buying the pro roller but went the regular MRC w/ GC3 chassis way but wonder if I should just have gone w/ the Pro version...

To tell you the truth I really didn't think I was being hard on this thing at all. I was just playing around in my back yard and got into a couple of tight spots where I "pushed" but I would have never thought the stock servo would crap out from that! I can't imagine what would happen if I was doing some serious crawling like most people in the forum.

So what do you mean about keeping the frong tidy & small package. Will going to a full size servo be much bigger & create problems? I'm very new here so I was going from what I've read most people upgrade servos too but want to know what I'm dealing w/ before I buy anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
If you plan on being rough on it then it seems you've already got the right idea for a servo. That'll require a servo mount that'll accommodate a full size servo.

I recently ordered a pro race roller and am thinking that the Hitec 5245 will be enough for me. My first mini crawler got a 645 after killing the stock one. Only reason for current selection is to try to keep the stuff on the front axle tidy and in a small package. That may change if it doesn't last...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
5645M I have to purchase a servo horn cause the stock ones don't fit
The Hitec 5645MG comes with a very nice alum servo horn

You should get a CC bec
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
So what do you mean about keeping the frong tidy & small package.
With the Pro it includes a plate to mount the servo (fullsize or mini) on the left side and their small 600MAH LiPo on the right. I was trying to run a mini servo to keep the size down. My last crawler had a 645 with a homebuilt plate that worked great. It made the rig a little irritating to work on, was heavy in the wrong place, and it got hung up on ledges and jagged out-croppings easily due to it's size. I always wished that I could have that kinda torque in a smaller package. Less weight above the axle center line, more clearance between the body and servo, and less physical bulk for clearance were what I was shooting for. I was just told that, basically, anything less than a fullsize servo is a waste of time and money. Brutal truth, but I'd rather not destroy a $35 servo if I can spend another $15 for one I WON'T have to replace. 5245MG is going back, and I'll find something else...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The GC3 comes w/ a servo mount that fits full size servo so i'm set there. Yeah I was wondering about a mini size servo w/ higher torque & metal gears but it seems like everyone recommends upgrading to a full size one so seems that's the way to go.

I'm still curious about what else I'll need like steering links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
With the Pro it includes a plate to mount the servo (fullsize or mini) on the left side and their small 600MAH LiPo on the right. I was trying to run a mini servo to keep the size down. My last crawler had a 645 with a homebuilt plate that worked great. It made the rig a little irritating to work on, was heavy in the wrong place, and it got hung up on ledges and jagged out-croppings easily due to it's size. I always wished that I could have that kinda torque in a smaller package. Less weight above the axle center line, more clearance between the body and servo, and less physical bulk for clearance were what I was shooting for. I was just told that, basically, anything less than a fullsize servo is a waste of time and money. Brutal truth, but I'd rather not destroy a $35 servo if I can spend another $15 for one I WON'T have to replace. 5245MG is going back, and I'll find something else...
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks. That would save me a couple $

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopmodmrc View Post
The Hitec 5645MG comes with a very nice alum servo horn

You should get a CC bec