Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Zero Ackerman Steering w/ GC3 Chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Zero Ackerman Steering w/ GC3 Chassis?

I'm new to crawling and recently bought a MRC and upgraded it w/ a GC3 chassis, losi alum bead locks, losi threaded shocks (w/ outboard mount) as well as a full size hitec servo but have some questions on other mods I am thinking about.

1. I want to increase the steering range so from reading I see I need CVD's and looks like the Losi ones are working well. My question is will this work with the GC3 given that my losi shocks have been outbarded or will the shock springs prevent the tires from turning too much further. If this can be done then are the CVD's all I need or do I need to buy zero ackerman knuckles and other parts too?

2. Is there a servo tray for the GC3 that can fit both the FS servo and lipo like in the MRC Pro or would I be better off doing something different?

Thanks for the help!
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
RcBros Hobbies

Most GC3 users are running CVD's and Zero Ackerman knuckles. The outboarding of your shocks can possibly interfere slightly with your tires depeding on which you are running. However, you should be fine with this as well. You can also limit the steering with your radio before the tires make contact.

Running a full size servo and a lipo up front can be done, but its a very tight fit.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
dnf

If you use wheel wideners then I doubt you would have any issue with the shocks/tires rubbing.If so it would be minimal.
Alot of guys run thier battery ontop oof the fron upper links,behind the servo.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys but still confused and I want to try to order all I need at the same time to save on shipping.

So to get more steering I need to order the CVD's, knuckles and possibly wheel wideners? Or will just CVD's do it?

By wheel wideners are you talking about wider wheel hexes like from the MRC Pro or something else?

Guess I'll have to find a different mounting option for my lipo. Will look at pictures to get some ideas.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yes I've seen them on top of the upper links but I can't fit the lipos I have in there without them obstructing the movement of the links. What size lipos work well there?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
If you use wheel wideners then I doubt you would have any issue with the shocks/tires rubbing.If so it would be minimal.
Alot of guys run thier battery ontop oof the fron upper links,behind the servo.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
Thanks guys but still confused and I want to try to order all I need at the same time to save on shipping.

So to get more steering I need to order the CVD's, knuckles and possibly wheel wideners? Or will just CVD's do it?

By wheel wideners are you talking about wider wheel hexes like from the MRC Pro or something else?

Guess I'll have to find a different mounting option for my lipo. Will look at pictures to get some ideas.
The CVD's will increase your steering, with zero ackerman knuckles you'll get even a tad more steering.

There are many types of wheel wideners, however the MRC pro wider wheel hexes are what most run.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ok so got the Losi CVDs installed & no rubbing at all w/ the shock springs. Now I'm looking of adding those zero ackerman knuckles but not sure if that's going to require I change up the steering links for them to work right?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Yes, running the zero Ackerman knuckles will require different steering links. if you're gonna go as far as buying knuckles and steering links, finding or building a drag link thats the right length to mount to your servo setup, and all that you may as well do this:

Knuckles-
http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info....knuckles-p-265

Tie Rod-
http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info....eer-link-p-266

4-link/servo plate-
http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info....nk-mount-p-179
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yeah I looked at that but I don't think/know if it works w/ a GC3 chassis which already has it's own 4 link. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Yes, running the zero Ackerman knuckles will require different steering links. if you're gonna go as far as buying knuckles and steering links, finding or building a drag link thats the right length to mount to your servo setup, and all that you may as well do this:

Knuckles-
http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info....knuckles-p-265

Tie Rod-
http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info....eer-link-p-266

4-link/servo plate-
http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info....nk-mount-p-179
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've been running Traxxas Wide hexes on mine with good results.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Yeah I looked at that but I don't think/know if it works w/ a GC3 chassis which already has it's own 4 link. Thanks though!

With new upper links it'll all work great. We sell the delrin rod and set screws to finish the task.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

On mine I am running the Losi CVDs, Losi wide hexes, and zero Ackerman knuckles from the MRC Pro. Works great. With outboarded shocks and Losi beadlocks my tires do rub a bit on the springs when one corner is stuffed but it's not too bad.

For a tie rod I'm just using a 3mm turnbuckle, I believe about 95mm in length, along w/ Axial offset rod ends. My drag link is a long 3mm screw cut to length. BTA steering would be nice but there's no way it'd fit w/ the GC3 suspension links and my low ride height.

I'm running a Max Amps 2S 800mAh lipo on my upper links. It's a tight fit.

- Chris
Csnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
RCC Addict

sorry for asking a dumb question, but how much more do the Zero Ackerman knuckles give you?
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
sorry for asking a dumb question, but how much more do the Zero Ackerman knuckles give you?
Running steering at zero ackerman do not give any more "throw" to the steering, but does improve your steering by reducing the 'fight' between the tyres.
At stock, the tyres scrub when turning. Zero ackerman has the tyres turning at the same amount, so they tend to work together more.

There is better literature on the net to explain ackerman. Ideally we would run true ackerman to have the inner wheel turn more than the outer. Then both wheels follow their individual turning circles (outer wheel follows a larger turning circle, so does not need to turn as tight as the inner wheel, and vice-versa)

in a nutshell:
zero ackerman will give a smaller turning circle due to reduced scrubbing.
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
Running steering at zero ackerman do not give any more "throw" to the steering, but does improve your steering by reducing the 'fight' between the tyres.
At stock, the tyres scrub when turning. Zero ackerman has the tyres turning at the same amount, so they tend to work together more.

There is better literature on the net to explain ackerman. Ideally we would run true ackerman to have the inner wheel turn more than the outer. Then both wheels follow their individual turning circles (outer wheel follows a larger turning circle, so does not need to turn as tight as the inner wheel, and vice-versa)

in a nutshell:
but how much more with the Zero Ackerman Knuckles give you in terms of steering angle?

or am i not getting your answer?
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

So if I already have the Losi CVD installed does adding the Zero Ack knuckles make enough of an improvement?

If so what I would do is get the losi zero ackerman knuckles & drag/steering linkages from the MRC pro.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So if I already have the Losi CVD installed does adding the Zero Ack knuckles make enough of an improvement?

If so what I would do is get the losi zero ackerman knuckles & drag/steering linkages from the MRC pro.
IMO yes they make that much of a difference. All I run zero Ackerman on all my trucks.
firekiddc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
That pretty much sums it up.

It doesn't increase the throw of the steering, it increases the amount of scrub on the inside turning tire (which is a sharper angle) which then in turn reduces the area needed to turn. (smaller circle)
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Ok did some reading on the concept of ackerman steering & makes sense so i will be ordering the MRC Pro zero ack knuckles along with the MRC Pro steering links & wider hexes and give this a shot. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
RcBros Hobbies

Don't forget about our High steer knuckles.