Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Used MRC and $100?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Used MRC and $100?

So I was able to pick up a used MRC and I initially have $100 to play with. Where do I think I will get the most value?

Thanks for the input.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Does it have any mods to it already or is it completely stock?
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

buy some red dot rovers they would be the best buy, maybe look at buying a new chassis or the aluminum threaded shocks

Austin
fallin apart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

metal lockers all around. Front, rear and center. That's where I would start. It was the first thing I broke. then the red dot rovers and some good wheels to put them on, then a solid motor.Holmes Hobby torque master mini 22t or a crawler mafia contraband motor. If $$ is a problem get a slider motor for $17.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'd say practice will give you the most bang for your buck, its free.
Try your MRC for a bit, figure out what you can do with it and what you cant.
If there's a crawling spot nearby go when other crawlers are there and see if you cant try one of their's. Then you will know what the difference can be
and start changing yours to give you the things you liked about their rigs.

Last edited by Captain Midnight; 03-01-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: puntuation and spelling
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Captain midnight has a good point.....but I would suggest some things that will simply keep you on the rocks.

1. Lockers. If these were not upgraded then do that. Do it as soon as possible. They will break if you put any weight in the wheels.
2. The rovers will need to be mounted on a true beadlock. Get some axials for cheap or even watch the for sale section.

You will find that as you fix, improve stuff you will realize it creates a week link elsewhere until you are about out of things to spend money on.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It's completely stock. I was definitely going to do the free mods, drive it and start adding things, but I have read numerous times that it is not very capable in its stock form. The lockers will definitely be the first upgrade. Sounds like rims/tires need to be high on the list. Is the stock servo going to be able to keep up? Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

If you are on a budget, i too would recommend tires, and metal lockers. If money isn't an issue, I would go with a chassis kit and motor combo. One last thing....get rid of that stock servo before it burns out on you.
fokaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hmm, my last post said it needed to be approved by a mod. So there will probably be a duplicate if this one goes through.

Thanks for the replies. The MRC is stock and rarely ever used. I will definitely do the free mods and drive it to test the truck and my capabilities, but I know a lot of people say it has serious flaws in its stock form, so that is why I was looking for some quick upgrades. I will order the lockers and tires/rims will high on my list. I will research a servo as well. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I just got an MRC also, here is what I found:

1st day broke the rear lockers.
So like everyone said, get the metal front/rear lockers at least. From what I understand the center ones don't break as often. I'm just going to wait for mine to break before replacing them.
*$24.00 for front and rear

2nd day front shocks were leaking oil.
Get the aluminum threaded shocks.
*$40.00ish for all four

I also modded the body so it sits lower. (just moved the shocks to the body pin locations, and moved the battery on top of the servo.) that helped a lot for steeper climbs
*free

Thats all I've done to mine so far and it crawls good for my standards since im noob to crawling.

I did buy a new servo but haven't received it yet. The stock one will be fine as long as you keep the servo saver arm on. It won't turn good in a bind but it wont fail either.

Last edited by Getrag; 03-03-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. I think I am going to sell the MRC when it gets here and buy a MRC Pro. The cost of adding a few upgrades puts the cost at more than a Pro.

Used MRC $125
Shocks $40
Servo $40
Wheels/Tires (which I will probably need anyhow, but still) - $60
Lockers - $30

That's already $295 vs $230. Even buying used electronics plus the Pro puts the cost near the slightly upgraded MRC. Economically the Pro makes sense. At least for me.