Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dead ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Dead ESC?

I was using my mrc today when suddenly it just died. No lights on the esc or rx and no movement. Checked lipo and has plenty of juice but just in case tried a second one and noithing. I get no lights on the esc or rx so I can't even rebind. No smoke or burning smell or even heat from the motor or esc when it happened its just like it lost power and now nothing I try helps. Is this a dead esc or could it be something else? Thanks.
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

sounds like it! Do you have a DVOM? Try and see if you have power to the reciever?
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

No dvom but rx lights are also not coming on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGood View Post
sounds like it! Do you have a DVOM? Try and see if you have power to the reciever?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Ok I think I confirmed this to be a dead ESC. I was able to hook up one of my planes ESC up to the MRC rx and operated as expected & when I hooked up the Losi ESC to another RX nothing.

Now my question is what could have made the ESC go dead? I'm running a Hitec 5645 digital servo & the only other electrical change from stock is I'm also running the Losi Night Crawler light kit out of the Aux channel in the RX & using a DX3R. Just curious if anything I'm doing killed the ESC or just random failure.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Maybe you overloaded the internal BEC of the ESC
(I did that to mine running an uprated servo, blew the internal BEC circuit, releasing the magic smoke contained therein) I managed to fit an external BEC (remove the red wire from the ESC lead to the RX), and it started working again as an ESC again!
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I called HH and they are shipping me a new ESC so that's pretty cool. I've only had the MRC for about a month so they said they would send me a new one. Awesome service! If that one fails again I'll probably use that excuse to upgrade to the Xcelorin motor & esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
Maybe you overloaded the internal BEC of the ESC
(I did that to mine running an uprated servo, blew the internal BEC circuit, releasing the magic smoke contained therein) I managed to fit an external BEC (remove the red wire from the ESC lead to the RX), and it started working again as an ESC again!