Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Going up steps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

Default Going up steps?

Hello! I am new to crawling, and new to this forum. I am sorry if this was discussed before, but I could not find a previous post on it.

I was hoping to be able to crawl my steps with my mrc, but it is just unable to. I did some research and TONS of reading on here, and got the 30* lower arms on the rear (the front does not touch the steps), Axial 1.9 beadlock rims (put my stock tires on there), added 3oz on each of the front wheels, and 1/2oz onto the servo, and I mounted my battery on the back servo plate. It seems like the skid plate is what is hitting the step. Someone told me to get the Gatekeeper GC3 chassis, but after doing a lot of research on that chassis...it seems like it would hinder me from climbing up the steps even more (since the chassis lowers the entire vehicle). I know lower COG helps climb vertical, but what if it is my skid plate that is hitting? Wouldn't increasing the height be the solution? I just need a little bit more clearance in order to clear the steps it seems.
scho52386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If this is really what you intend to do with this truck, then you'll need to extend the wheelbase and increase center clearance. However, these trucks are generally too small to make it up more than a single step...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

When I first got my MRC I wanted to climb steps and I tried a few different setups for it. I realized the best thing is technique. If you have steps that have a side to them like a wall, you drive up into the corner and you can make it up a step. Another thing that helps is the bent links in the back and have the skid tilted forward. I'd keep all the weight up front trying to keep the back light as possible.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Also try the over-drive md to the front axle, helps pull the rig up onto obstacles.
Bigger/taller tyres (think Flat Irons or cut shut 4" rovers)
Mini juice chassis offers some of the best skid clearance.
Better faster motor (holmes hobbies torquemaster mini 33t or 22T)
Wheel wideners on the front = "GRAB" by turning as you climb to allow one wheel to "reach" out and grab the top of a ledge.
Plenty of weight over the fron end, keeping the rear light.

All helps climnb ledges. Not sure if you will still be able to climb a step though! Depends exactly how tall the steps are.,

hope that helps a little!

G
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! Yah, I mostly got this truck in order for it to go up steps. I will NEVER compete. Just want to have fun tormenting my dog I will have to get that stuff done! Will the larger tires hurt the steering at all?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

larger tyres will require a decent servo (stock one will not last long!), and the tyres may hit the shocks, but if you add wheel wideners to the front, the tyres should clear ok. Have a look around the forum for ideas.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Another thing to look into is a cantilever system for the rear shocks. I've seen a few of them a while back. Seem like they wouldn't be too good for comps but if your main goal is step it would probably help.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

I think I will try the wheel wideners. They don't seem too expensive. I was going to get the Rover tires...I think they are the same size as the stock tires though. Where can I find the minijuice chassis? I was planning on upgrading to a 1/10 servo if I got the Gatekeeper chassis.

I really think bigger tires might do it. It will give me higher ground clearance right?

Last edited by scho52386; 03-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Scale Detail Engineering

right.
You could extend the wheelbase, that would help.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho52386 View Post
I think I will try the wheel wideners. They don't seem too expensive. I was going to get the Rover tires...I think they are the same size as the stock tires though. Where can I find the minijuice chassis? I was planning on upgrading to a 1/10 servo if I got the Gatekeeper chassis.

I really think bigger tires might do it. It will give me higher ground clearance right?
Mini juice is made by Krawlfreak on here - see the vendors section or :
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272958

its an awesome chassis, see my build for an idea: Gfresh's mini juice build.

The rovers are the same diamter but slightly wider than stock tyres BUT 10x more grip! they are the best! Really hook up well in all condtions, very predictable and reliable grip. But consider a taller tire if you are insistant on trying to climb stairs - every slight increase in clearance will help.

G
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

That is an AMAZING looking chassis....wtf. That makes it look completely different! Did it make your clearance higher? Does it come with everything you need to swap the parts over?

I just switched around my transmission, mounted my battery on my servo, moved my Rx up where the battery was, mounted the ESC toward the front under the battery plate, and nothing in the back. I also put a small piece of brass piping into the rear 3 link to make the center drive shaft go above the 30* links when articulated.

After doing all this, I can go up the first step without using the wall/rail, and I can go up the second step with assistance from the wall. Hopefully the Rover tires wil help? Would Rovers + Wideners help? Or would the wideners only help if the tires were actually larger than the stock tires?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

the mini juice does give better clearance.
BUT it is not a simple bolt on job, you need to be pretty reasonable at setting up a crawler and making your own links etc.
I made my links from 6mm delrin, drilled and tapped in my shed. I went through various lengths until I was happy with the geometry.

Wideners do help with climbing ledges - they let the wheels "reach" out and hook up onto the ledge.

I would say fr now, stick with the stock chassis, until you feel you have gone as far as you can. I think people dont realise how capable the stock chassis is, if you set it up right and do the correct mods. (four link the rear is a great start to help reduce torque twist).

In the recent comp we ran, I ran my mini juice, also tested my gc-2 chassis, and my mate ran his stock chassis (but quite modified with 4 link, mini lst shocks, bent links, above axle steerng, full size servo, rovers, etc, etc). THe juice and my mates rig were evenly matched during this comp.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #13

That sounds way over my head...I can disassemble my MRC and put it together etc., but I do not have the skills or the tools to make my own links. :/

I ended up getting the 1.9 FLatirons since they make my vehicle a bit taller. They came with one messed up tire from the factory, so I am getting a replacement next week when they are back in stock at the lhs.

I tested them out, but they seem to have less grip than the stock tires....is this normal?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #14

EDIT: i should have read through all the posts just saw that you got the tires I was recommending. How do you like them? I was impressed with mine and i have been told by many people that the more they wear out the better they perform

Last edited by GhettoFabwork; 04-02-2011 at 12:57 PM.
GhettoFabwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho52386 View Post
I tested them out, but they seem to have less grip than the stock tires....is this normal?
i would say my flat irons grip better than stock so its weird you say that. Give them some time to wear in and they should do better. good luck with getting up that step!

Happy crawling!
Nick
GhettoFabwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #16

So far the Flatirons are not better than stock for me. I did a bit more research and found out that I should cut my foams. I have weights on my rims, and I think that is taking up too much space for the foam. I don't want to cut into them until I get my replacement tire (Wed.).

The more research I do, the more I find that the Flatirons are AMAZING tires. Everyone seems to love them (aside from the insane body rub, but with taller tires comes more rub), and I have also heard that they grip MUCH better when they get worn.

I ended up getting metal lockers today (front tires were really loose) for the front and rear axels. I also went ahead and purchased another set of 30* links, so I now have 30* links in the front and back. I also purchased a 12t pinion gear (I heard it will help my motor run longer and with higher torque)

Thank you for all the help! Hopefully when the new tire comes in, I will be able to cut the foam and it will get better traction!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #17

all you have to do is install one 30* in the rear and thats it the bent link and straight link combo will cause it to wobble enough to gain traction. i have a pretty well upgraded mrc and my bent link broke so i slapped one stock one on it and i unentionally made it climb certain things alittle better. i hope it works for u as it did for me
caspertheog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
RCC Addict

i can make my mini go up steps, and im running the mini gc3.. all you really need is weight in the fronts, and the holmes hobbies 22T motor
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #19

Won't the GC3 lower my crawler though? It's not hitting the links. It's hitting the skidplate and the front wheels will not touch. I think the step is too tall. I have weights in the tires and on the servo, and even if i pushed down with my hand, it takes a bit before the front wheels touch the top of the step.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
RCC Addict

hmm, maybe my steps are just lower....

What motor and how much weight do you have on the front?
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote