Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Chinese Range Rover + MRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Chinese Range Rover + MRC

My MRC has been gathering dust.

Until I found this 1:14th scale Rover HSE Sport body for it. Time to build another scale truck, this body should work out good for MRC axles if I can shave the hexes a bit.

This body has a ton of detail, including a fully decked interior. It's funny how the cheapest crap RC's have the most detailed bodies. The rest of it went right in the wastebin where it belongs.

The interior is pretty damned solid, so I'm just gonna build right off of it and see what I come up with. I cut the stock MRC chassis down into a small "sub-frame" and bolted 2 pieces of aluminum angle to it, these bolt right to the bottom of the interior pan after making the proper clearance for the flipped transmission to stick up into the center console. Once I relieve the inside corners of the front seats to fit it should be hidden pretty well.

Shocks will be the aluminum Losi MRC units, limited 3/16" inside. I obviously still need to plot out some shock mounts, and I'm thinkin' the rears are gonna stick up inside some. They look like they'll be in the neighborhood of the rear seat, so maybe it can hide the upper mounts? I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Wheels/tires will be 1.55's - RC4WD black stamped steel beadlocks with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's. At approx. 3.2" tall they should be just on the small side of big, but not too big. Hopefully.

Made a good start today. This is my first full interior build, I hope I can find a spot for everything...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-16-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Thats a great looking body. Do you remember what Chinese RC it was off?

Keep posting as you build it. I've been interested in turning mine into a scaler also and I'd like to see how it goes for you
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks great! Range Rover looks like a Rastar. I have the same one in my garage.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

it looks like this one from Amazon, $30 - http://goo.gl/SzIUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post

Keep posting as you build it. I've been interested in turning mine into a scaler also and I'd like to see how it goes for you
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Great looking scaler I,ve just made a similar one for my son using his mrc and a fastlane JK body, keep the pics comming.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #6

Sweet im new to this looks like its time to hit walmart
k_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looks like you are onto a winner. Nice to see something a little different as a scaler and British too (wel....). More pics please.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Looks great! Range Rover looks like a Rastar. I have the same one in my garage.
Correct, a Rastar toy rc. 1:14th scale. Just the body is worth the $$ IMO, the detail is fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ogre View Post
Sweet im new to this looks like its time to hit walmart
About any toy store could potentially yield up that perfect scale truck body, keep your eyes open when you're out and about. My friends know that if we hit Wal-Mart for food/beer, I'm gonna slip away to the toy section for a few minutes just to see what's there. It's habit for me now, anyplace that sells toys gets checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloid1 View Post
Looks like you are onto a winner. Nice to see something a little different as a scaler and British too (wel....). More pics please.
Thanks. I'm a bit of a Rover fan. I have a 1995 RR Classic County that I drive all the time so I can't help myself. I don't really know much about the new ones, but I love my old beater...

Front and rear shock mounts and Losi aluminum shocks made their way in today. (on some old HPI buggy wheels just so it has something to sit on) Of course I had to cut holes in the floor in back for the rear shocks and make a mount inside, but it should be covered by the back seat when all is said and done. I'm starting to get stoked here, this is working out pretty good. I don't see it gaining a whole lot more weight, so I'm gonna have to search for either shorter or lighter rate springs. Obviously the internal limiting has "pre-loaded" these springs a bit.

And the obligatory pose. Shock travel length worked out damned near perfect with the internal limiting:

On to mounting the servo in the frame. I'm not real sure how I'm going to pull this off yet, but I know I don't want an axle mounted servo. We'll come up with something...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Transmission invasion - could've been worse I guess.

View from the back. It's so hard to plot out what needs to go and what needs to stay. I probably could have lifted the transmission another 1/8" to 3/16". Again, could've been worse...

Space for electronics is really going to be at a premium here. There might have to be some "cargo" in the back to hide the ESC and other stuff. Under the hood is going to be full of battery and servo...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Frame-mounted servo Man, I had no idea how much of a beeatch that would be! The first try was a total disaster, this version is not so bad.

Trying to leave myself room to make a battery tray between the "frame rails". I don't want to put the battery in the back...

Trying to level the drag link, or else funny stuff seems to start to happen as the suspension cycles. I'm thinkin' I might lower the whole servo a little more to compensate, because it's all still hidden pretty well by the bumper cover...

Any suggestions, comments or opinions welcomed (within reason) Researching this subject pretty much takes hours of just sifting through images, and helpful data is sparse.

There's still a little "bump-steer" going on at the very end of the suspension travel. Just a little bit worse than my SCX10 w/ a Hand Bros. kit. I think it will still be drive-able...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-21-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, but those wheels I personally would lower it to get the wheels closer to the body.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Looks great. I also agree with slughter about lowering it a little more but I do not know the look you are after. I would like to see some more pics of the build with the body off.
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #13

Lovin this build. Keep the pics coming there great. And I'm headed to the toy store this weekend to check out some potential bodys thanks for the awesome idea.
Just crawl it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Looks good, but those wheels I personally would lower it to get the wheels closer to the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipervision View Post
Looks great. I also agree with slughter about lowering it a little more but I do not know the look you are after. I would like to see some more pics of the build with the body off.
You don't like the stealthy black disc wheels?

Those are just some wheels I scavenged up so it has something to sit on. Monday or Tuesday next week I should receive this setup:

Then things will be brought into proper perspective.

I was after a "street-legal but still very capable" scale look, but it may end up a little cartoony monster-truckish. It's hard to find wheel/tires for a 1:14th scale body, most everything is sized for 1:10th scale. The 1.55 Mickeys were pretty much the smallest tires I could find and they still may be too big. They're supposed to be a hair over 3 1/4" tall, so the body won't look so high then. I'll probably have to trim the fenderwells a little more.

More pics coming later today...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-22-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It's a bit unconventional, but it seems to work. It won't be utterly "bomb-proof" but it should be able to be driven. Interior "pan" with aluminum angle "frame rails" bolted underneath...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Much more appropriate...

1.55 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's and black steel RC4WD beadlocks. A little on the big side, but it still looks pretty cool...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Let's see some more pics (fron side, rear). Looks great! Bravo.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The sub-frame blends in nicely painted black. The ride height is not terrible, but I do wish the tires were just a little bit smaller. Almost but not quite a "monster" Rover...

The poser shots. It seems that no matter how much I limit these shocks, inside and out, it still gets mad articulation. I may hunt around for some shorter shocks...

I got it running with an updated Novak Rooster Crawler spinning a Holmes Hobbies Mini Torquemaster, a HiTec HS-5245MG for steering, powered by a Thunder Power Pro-Lite 2C LiPo, but the suspension definitely needs some sorting out. It's like something's binding somewhere. That and all the little details like inner fenderwells, a driver, tinting the back windows, lights. Maybe some subtle tubework...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-26-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Looks much better with those wheels on. Great job. Keep posting your progress please
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Looks great. Binding issues are always tougfh to locate. Kepp posting info on its progress.