Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: ESC Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Default ESC Problem?

So I might of just accidentally fried something in my MRC I think I charged a battery for a bit too long and when i put it into my truck and tried to turn the truck on it made a clicking noise and the red light started flashing on the receiver soIi turned it off quickly and switched the battery out with another and the light still flashed also the light on the ESC was flashing red rapidly I have no idea what all this means but I suspect that Ive screwed somethign up bad so maybe you guys can help shed some light on what I need to replace
joshlg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

What type of batteries and which ESC?
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #3

the stock batteries and the stock losi ESC sorry i guess i forgot to mention that earlier stock meaning the ones that come with the RTR version
Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Mine was doing that earlier. Does it have the stock connector on the battery to the esc?
losicrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Make sure you haven't lost the radio bind. My son's acted similiar when I used the AA's that came with the radio.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

Alright i got up today to look at it and see if there was an issue with bind or the batteries in the remote and now it doesnt do anything at all when i turn it on and it smells like burnt plastic really bad. when i flick the on switch nothing comes on and the truck acts like it isnt getting power but the battery is charged. is it possible to short your whole car out by putting an overcharged battery on it?

and by the way yes i do have the stock connector on the battery line to the ESC
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #7

Ok so im pretty sure im gonna need a new ESC and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one that was on the cheaper side as far as pricing and also i was looking at getting a full sized servo specifically the Hitec 645mg and was wondering if i would need to invest in a BEC with that or not im really new to all this stuff and i seem to be breaking stuff like every other day lol so i figured id ask for some opinions before i made any decisions thanks in advance for your input
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I can't recommend a good ESC since mine is still stock, but I have been running the Hitec 645mg with the stock electronics so its not entirely necessary to use a BEC but i know a lot of ppl will recommend it.
Also if your mini is new I'd contact them and get replacement parts since it's probably still under warranty. Then even if you decide to upgrade you'll have a few backups of stock stuff if you ever need it.
I had some stuff break the first week I had mine and I got some new parts with out question from them.

Last edited by Getrag; 04-26-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post
I can't recommend a good ESC since mine is still stock, but I have been running the Hitec 645mg with the stock electronics so its not entirely necessary to use a BEC but i know a lot of ppl will recommend it.
Also if your mini is new I'd contact them and get replacement parts since it's probably still under warranty. Then even if you decide to upgrade you'll have a few backups of stock stuff if you ever need it.
I had some stuff break the first week I had mine and I got some new parts with out question from them.
Ill have to give them a call in the morning then. thanks for the info ill see if i can get them to send me a new ESC. the servo im not so worried about since im going to go fullsize that stock one just doesnt have enough torque to get the job done for me
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you are going to get a full size servo then get a BEC and run it with your stock ESC. Not sure that I'd run a full size servo without a BEC.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

A budget build: use the stock ESC (if you get it replaced) and add on the aforementioned BEC.
The stock ESC is a great ESC, it can handle higher spec motors (eg holmes mini torquemaster 33Turn) and is pretty smooth with good drag brake.
It "can" run a bigger servo, but runs the risk of burning the internal BEC (I ran a 5kg mini Hitec servo for about 8months fine, then one day - the magic smoke escaped. I found that hooking up an external BEC, allowed the burned ESC to conitune powering the motor fine [remember, external BEC means you need to disconnect the ESC's middle red wire from the plug to the RX, as the BEC now provides power to the RX/servo etc]

No budget = tekin FX-R. a super ESC, tiny size, great tunability (especially with the hotwire PC link) high performance.

IMO
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #12

Thanks guys ill most likely be using the stock ESC losi is sending me a new one so ill just use it I got a cheap ($5.00) BEC from the LHS its got a 3A output with a 5A max so that should work pretty good I would think.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like a great (low cost) plan!
Good that Losi are sending a new ESC out.

I built a second MRC, and used a BEC, on a cheap high torque (metal gear) servo. Cost about £12 and puts out 15kg torque. Works well for a cheap servo.

(I run the low profile SAVOX 1251MG on my mini juice MRC - v fast and high torque, and compact for a full size servo)
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I jus ordered a losi excelrion brushless system. Do I still need an external BEC or does the crawling combo work fine without...seems to be some BEC knowledge here. Cheers.
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipervision View Post
I jus ordered a losi excelrion brushless system. Do I still need an external BEC or does the crawling combo work fine without...seems to be some BEC knowledge here. Cheers.
I have the losi brushless system with a hitec 645mg servo. I had a bec and it did help the steering power a bit but I didn't feel it was worth all the extra wire mess. Your gona love the power of that brushless system. Put a big pinion on it, I run a 19 tooth and it still has great torque and wheel speed is crazy!
korr is offline   Reply With Quote