Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Build thread recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Build thread recommendations?

Would anyone care to recommend what they think is an outstanding build thread for taking an MRC Pro roller to an accomplished comper without spending gobs of money?

I searched out the build threads, but there are a couple hundred of them. Some of you must have favorites.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

You said it yourself...there are TONS of build threads. Many of em pretty generic. The build threads that interest me are those with something new, innovative & just different & that seems to be the general consensus. I usually just cruise by the plain ol MRC Pro Roller or XR10 Stock builds since its been done so many times.

That being said...I encourage EVERYONE to do a build thread that has it in em...no matter how stock or generic simply for the feedback. The combined knowledge on this forum is endless & just about any question can be answered...any issue addressed.

As far as building an MRC that's COMP worthy...not hard to do. The Pro Roller outta the box is more than capable of taking the podium. Its proven all the time. Lots of cats at Nats were running em & DOIN WORK! Even tho I have about the blingiest XR out & the Wicked Cricket prototype MRC...none of its necessary to win comps or have a blast running em. They DEFINITELY improve your day but not a necessity.

Save your cash & upgrade as needed. Get the basic strength items but learn the MRC BEFORE switching chassis' & such. Just my opinion.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
WAM
Rock Crawler

Thanks JD, My aspirations are fairly low and I'm not looking to build a killer car. But what little experience I've picked up in the few months I've been doing this says there are always a small handful of "duh" improvements that give greatest bang for the buck. So unlike your interest in whiz-bang latest and greatest, I'm just looking for the basics. I've got a big box full of pieces and just trying to decide what to do with them. Like I have a bunch of blue tires. Can they hang well enough with the current fav Rovers? Are the springs/shocks out of the box good enough for starters? Any adjustments that really bring the thing to life?

A good basic build thread where a guy has tested/comped all that would be interesting reading material. I've found them on AX10 and XR10 forums...I'll bet this one has them too. I wonder if Jake W ever did an out-of-the box Pro-build thread? Team drivers seem to tend to start with the basics and stay close to home. I'll sift through -- better too much info than too little.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
5th D Owner/Driver

Here ya go, tons of info and set-up help.
Rubba's MRC PRO Half-Pint
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
WAM
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I only scanned it, but that looks to be a good find. Thanx.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

One tip I can give you is to make sure that your shocks have OIL in em...

Sorry dude...couldn't resist.

As far as my interest in...what was it? "The latest whiz bang boing ding dang fo shizzy my nizzy"...yea, I got em & yea, I enjoy em but the build, tune, test & tinker is a LARGE part of my enjoyment. I come from a racing background where the TINIEST change or difference between your rig & the next can mean a win or loss. The same stands true in crawlin to an extent. Do you NEED VP everything to be competitive? Absolutely not but many of their parts are not just flash & have true improving function.

I'm not sure you're gonna find a bitchen base setup to start with because most have their own preference, style & affordability. Maybe take the average of a handful of decent threads & go from there?

Like I said...I personally like the build & trying & testing new setups & parts. Many times my scores reflect that but at the end of the day...its what I dig doing. Taking that untested, brand new designed Wicked Cricket at 8:30 pm the night before Nats, staying up to the wee hours building it & just dropping it on the start gate & going wasn't what most cats would consider a smart move...ESPECIALLY at Nats. But I had a BLAST & it helped Don at BWD show his product at a killer venue.

Its all personal preference at the end of the day. Someone has a signature along the lines of "give 20 different guys the same kit & you'll end up with 20 different builds." To ME...that's what its about. Making it YOURS. Not Jake's, Harley's or anyone else's. Make it the WAM oil free shock MRC.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
One tip I can give you is to make sure that your shocks have OIL in em...
What, you've never heard of air shocks? Where you been?

You know, line for line, the performance was about the same. I think at a certain level of driver skill (lack of) it's all good.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
What, you've never heard of air shocks? Where you been?
Air shocks...yes.

Air Big Bores....um...nope. You must be a factory driver to have those snazzy items.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Here ya go, tons of info and set-up help.
Rubba's MRC PRO Half-Pint
x2. This is how I set mine up at first. After running it for a while, I then tuned it to suite my driving style a little better.
eedew is offline   Reply With Quote