Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Sensored vs Non Sensored

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

Default Sensored vs Non Sensored

hi guys

i just picked up a MRC pro. i've been looking at these for the longest time, and with the latest price promo, i just had to get one anyhow, i've got a question regarding the ESC and motor...

i was wondering if a sensored brushless motor was really necessary... or if a non sensored system would provide an adequate level of crawling ability.

my two candidates are:
Sensored - Novak Mongoose Crawler Micro + 18.5T motor)
Non Sensored - castle creations Mamba Micro pro + 4200kV motor)

my preference is to stick with CC, as all my other vehicles use CC products, plus i've already got the castle link programmer.

i'm trying to avoid getting a new ESC system, and the parts required to get the best out of it. of course, if it's unavoidable, i'll get the Novak Unit.

your thoughts and opinions are highly appreciated.
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Just about anybody you talk to will say that its hard to crawl with an non-sensored brushless motor. I would agree with that.

You just don't have the low, and part throttle control with a non-sensored setup to "crawl".

If you wanted to stay CC, i'd pair a Mamba Micro with a high quality brushed motor. However, I don't know what the current options are for motors.

I have the mongoose setup in one of my mini's, and I really like it. I just ordered the losi brushless setup for my new pro. We'll see how it compares. I need to get another truck, and set it up brushed, so I can try all 3 flavors!
Subarutex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

with a non sensored brushless system you will get alot of low end cogging. you can elimenate aolt of it by gearing down and adjust the settings on your esc. i had a hobbywing non sensored system in mine and it was ok a little hard to get rid of the cogging but for 39 bucks shipped brand new i couldnt pass it. it was not that bad and you kind of get used to running it like that pretty quick. try one out and see what you think.

sensored brushless like the novak mongoose is wayyyyyyyy better but the drag break kinda sux
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have the Mongoose Mini setup as well. It has pretty damn smooth low-end for a brushless motor, awesome torque, and can be geared high for wheelspeed if needed.

The biggest thing I noticed with this setup is, as mentioned, the drag brake kinda sucks.

Also worth mentioning, when I say wheel speed, it's a different feel. It'll spin them pretty damn quick, but it takes time to spin them up. Brushless absolutely lacks any kind of punch, or burst.

If you're learning or are a slow calculating driver a brushless setup would be sweet, but if you are experienced with these rigs or are a rowdy, wheely poppin, ledge jumpin fool, you may find that you want more.

That's where I'm at now. I'm bored with it already. This leaves one with the option of 3s on the Brushless Setup, which is maxed out at that point, or going to a nice brushed ESC/motor combo on 2s. At least from there I can "experiment" with a 3s if I get a little itch...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
dnf

IF I was going to run brushless,it would be a mongoose.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #6

It's starting to sound as if the cc brushless products aren't as robust as I would have hoped. Sigh.

I like to have wheel speed when necessary, but drag brake and low end control are very important to me.

what are your thoughts on cc mamba micro + a High quality Brushed motor (eg crawler mafia)?
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow1 View Post
It's starting to sound as if the cc brushless products aren't as robust as I would have hoped. Sigh.

I like to have wheel speed when necessary, but drag brake and low end control are very important to me.

what are your thoughts on cc mamba micro + a High quality Brushed motor (eg crawler mafia)?
CC Brushless is robust, they are just NOT sensored, thus the cogging.

A CC Mamba Micro Pro & a CM brushed is almost your only choice. I have a new MRC Pro coming and was looking for brushed motors. Most options are gone now (needs tiny motors). Crawler Mafia is one of the few left making them.

Link to preorder thread.... contraband preorder

I would have ordered one, but delivery appears to be a month away.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote