Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Looking for a new motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #1

Default Looking for a new motor

Since I've burned out my stock losi motor, I've been searching around for a better replacement for it. I wanted to buy a HH mini torquemaster, but they don't make them anymore. Then i saw the rockhard motors, but he can only deliver them at the end of June. and I heared they need much maintenance.

I saw much people run a reedy stump puller, they are cheap but they have a lack on the drag brake.
So If anyone have a used HH mini torquemaster(that works), and don't need it anymore I want to buy it. (PM me)

Or if you have any other suggestions on brushed motors, please feel free to tell me.
If i don't find another one then I'll buy a new stock losi motor :(
thanks
LurpeBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Good luck finding a brushed motor.
I bought the last Reedy Stump Pullers I could find.
I feel you could run stiffer springs on the Reedy if you need to increase the drag brake.

Some have mentioned the Losi Slyder motor, I never tried it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to throw this out there. This is in no way a comp level motor set up. But for those of us who are just playing with our toys and or building them for our kids this set up works awesome for me. I'm using Tacon 2040 3600kv in one of mini crawlers with an 18a Hobbywing ESC. It has minimal cogging with the 14 tooth pinion that I have on it. It can also be run on 2s or 3s lipos. I find it very comparable in top speed and torque with the Novak Mongoose 18.5 on a 15 tooth pinion. The sensored mongoose just does low low speed much better. The Tacon set up cost about $40 and that is why I felt it was worth mentioning. I really like mine. I bought this set up at HobbyPartz.com. They have just release a more of these motors in lower kv ratings. I'm assuming the lower kv rating will be even better at low speed and not have much cogging since I did also have a 4150kv 2040 that I tried before the 3600kv and that reduction was much better. I'm just thinking a 3s lipo maybe needed to gain wheel speed for the lower kv. At this low of a price I really think it is worth a shot for others to try. I will be buying more.

*note. In these new sets of Tacon motors they release the did finned cans in the 2040 size. This makes the motors 24mmx43.5mm and (from the picture) looks like it encloses the bearing in the front and rear making it very easy to mount up with no motor plate modification. Here is the link to the motors for anyone who is interested. http://www.hobbypartz.com/ta11rccarmo.html
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurpeBE View Post
Then i saw the rockhard motors, but he can only deliver them at the end of June. and I heared they need much maintenance
You've been given incorrect information. I saw Paul this weekend and he told me that he has not done a damn thing to the motor that is in his 1.9 comp truck since October of last year. Granted, you can not simply run pack after pack on these motors or they will overheat, but they need no more maintenance than any other brushed motor.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

venom fireball 370 can 10 bucks or less, insane is a good motor also
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I found these from another thread for which motors are good to get:

Holmes 22t, 33t - no longer made
Crawler Mafia - pre order only

these ones you can find a fleabay and lhs

Assotiated mini mod in 17,19t
Assotiated (Reedy)mini stump puller
HPI's rs4 modified
Trinity mini cobalts

I found this info on this thread: Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks

the motor came up around page 50, hope this helps every one out. There should be a sticky made up for popular motors for the mini ( brushed and brushless)
Crawlernoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there. This is in no way a comp level motor set up. But for those of us who are just playing with our toys and or building them for our kids this set up works awesome for me. I'm using Tacon 2040 3600kv in one of mini crawlers with an 18a Hobbywing ESC. It has minimal cogging with the 14 tooth pinion that I have on it. It can also be run on 2s or 3s lipos. I find it very comparable in top speed and torque with the Novak Mongoose 18.5 on a 15 tooth pinion. The sensored mongoose just does low low speed much better. The Tacon set up cost about $40 and that is why I felt it was worth mentioning. I really like mine. I bought this set up at HobbyPartz.com. They have just release a more of these motors in lower kv ratings. I'm assuming the lower kv rating will be even better at low speed and not have much cogging since I did also have a 4150kv 2040 that I tried before the 3600kv and that reduction was much better. I'm just thinking a 3s lipo maybe needed to gain wheel speed for the lower kv. At this low of a price I really think it is worth a shot for others to try. I will be buying more.

*note. In these new sets of Tacon motors they release the did finned cans in the 2040 size. This makes the motors 24mmx43.5mm and (from the picture) looks like it encloses the bearing in the front and rear making it very easy to mount up with no motor plate modification. Here is the link to the motors for anyone who is interested. http://www.hobbypartz.com/ta11rccarmo.html

i will have to agree with this comment. i had this setup on my old mrc and it was great for the price. you can remove more of the cogging by dropping down in pinion sizes. the biggest problem with this setup is they take along time to get back in stock.

rockhard makes some bad a$$ motors. ive been hearing that brood will also be making motors for the mrc aswell but i dont know when exaclty.

my buddy is running the reedy stump puller in his pro and he loves it. it does need a little more of a drag brake but its not that bad once you get used to it. plus its a freaking monster on 3s!!!
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My motors should be around the end of the month, early July.....I got the first batch of parts today, just waiting on the actual motor itself, which is supposed to ship to me this week....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Can't wait for these Eddie
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotboy View Post
Can't wait for these Eddie
+1...... I need to get a matched set of 40T HW's for my 2.2 Bully MOA as well.....my kid has Br00d 35T's, I don't.....

Eddie....what turns are you thinking of for the MRC's??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

15-20....I am probably gonna do preorders, so I know I am winding exactly what people want.........on the second load, I might try some new winds.

Motor is similar in size to the Mini-Cobalt.....I have to unwind them like the mini-cobalts were, but I am putting a brand new comm on them......so no worries about it being a potential weak point for failure.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You've been given incorrect information. I saw Paul this weekend and he told me that he has not done a damn thing to the motor that is in his 1.9 comp truck since October of last year. Granted, you can not simply run pack after pack on these motors or they will overheat, but they need no more maintenance than any other brushed motor.
Yep,and I'm pretty throttle happy too.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote