Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Kyle's Mini Pro-ject

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Kyle's Mini Pro-ject

Like many others, I couldn't pass up the price drop on the Mini Pro Roller. Figured I would get one and build it as "loaner" for my friends to crawl with me since they are 100% nitro or build it for my fiancee since she actually likes this one since it's smaller. It's going to be a slooooow build since I'm focused on my 2.2 and my course I'm building but you gotta start somewhere right

The Mini Pro-ject and the new COWRC mini mat!
bluice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

what motor and esc are you using?
turbocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Right now...nothing. Just finished some big upgrades on my 2.2 so I'm waiting for my credit card to recover lol

I'm not sure what route I want to take on the motor/esc. I see many great reviews on the Holmes and Crawler Mafia motors. Also I really like the size of the Tekin B1R esc.

I keep looking at the plug-n-play convenience of the prewired Xcelorin motor/esc combo though. Only time will tell...
Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Well, after a few months of waiting I've gotten just about everything I need to complete my build. Here's the list of goodies being installed:

YTC Minijuice chassis
DLUX Titanium upper/lower links w/revo ends
Novak Mongoose esc/motor
Hitec HS-5645MG servo
Crawler Innovations servo guard
HB 1.9 Rovers
Crawler Innovations foam (soft/medium)
Fly Sky GT3B transmitter/receiver
Traxxas overdrive gear
Gens-Ace 450mAh batteries
Deans plugs

Still waiting on the BWD 1.9 Vertex wheels to be back in stock but time to start building. First things first...tear it all apart.

The pile of parts...

Last edited by bluice; 09-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice pile of parts.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Made some progress tonight...I got the chassis assembled, motor/skid mounted, and the lower links built/installed.

Plan on starting the front axle tomorrow...let me know if you see anything your would change. These tiny screws are wearing me out and hopefully I won't have to back track on anything lol
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Overdrive gear and servo installed, and greased both axles. Running the stock servo plate in the front until I can get some new servo posts and find the time to fab a new steering/drag link. Running the YTC plate on the rear though to use longer/raised upper links.

I did finish building the upper links...using DLUX rear upper links with revo ends and the stock lowers for the front uppers with revo ends on the chassis side. Heading to the hardware store tomorrow so I can mount the upper links and the shocks.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i'll be watching this where is the cheapest place to get one of these? i don't even have a crawler yet, but i might pick one of these up to build up slowly for my son even though he's only 10 months old right now LOL
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Nice build, always liked the look of the Mini Juice
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
i'll be watching this where is the cheapest place to get one of these? i don't even have a crawler yet, but i might pick one of these up to build up slowly for my son even though he's only 10 months old right now LOL
Never to early to start I got mine from RPPHobby right when the price dropped. Right now they have them for $70 but the guys on here might know a cheaper place.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

awesome, i will bookmark that for later reference! thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #12

I just bought one from Ultimate Hobbies for $65 plus shipping (I think it's 72 for just the crawler, but I ordered some other stuff too).

BTW ohh EPiC FAiL, that's for the Pro Roller.
VotebanForgotHisPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VotebanForgotHisPW View Post
I just bought one from Ultimate Hobbies for $65 plus shipping (I think it's 72 for just the crawler, but I ordered some other stuff too).

BTW ohh EPiC FAiL, that's for the Pro Roller.
thanks! sorry for hijacking this thread Kyle
Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
thanks! sorry for hijacking this thread Kyle
No worries, glad to see more people in the hobby! Well I got the upper links and shocks mounted last night. I ended up using the stock uppers in the front becuase I didn't like the caster and the shock articulation. After a little liquid encouragement I even got all the electronics installed and programmed. ESC on rear links, RX/switch on transmission and battery on front links.

Right now I'm building/mounting the body panels and switching out the stock tires for the Rovers. Hopefully I'll get it done before the football game.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well, I finally finished the build. I got the panels mounted, tires installed, and ready to hit the rocks. I ran it around the living room just to make sure everything was in order before I packed it away to watch some football.

When I turned it off, it glitched forward and back, then all of the sudden it looked like the ESC had a light on inside. I then smelled the all too familiar smell of burned electronics and ran outside with it realizing the "light" was a fire. After a big puff of smoke it was all over. Luckily it was just the ESC and nothing else was damaged. Time to contact Novak and see about a replacement.

Any ideas as to what might have happened???

Last edited by bluice; 09-26-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they take care of you.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

A leg/knee injury and the holidays finally gave me time to sit down and work on my mini again. I did get a replacement ESC from Novak and the motor I sent checked out fine. I was also able to find some "new to me" BWD wheels while I was waiting fo the ESC, THANKS ROCK HARD! On to the pics...

When I got the wheels the inner lips and hubs were painted (2 blue and 2 purple). I hand sanded them and repainted them satin black. I was also shocked when I opened the package and saw the inner beadlock rings were copper. I moved them to the outside just to create a different 2-tone look

And here is the finished Pro-ject! I made sure to take pics before I tested the electonics, just in case another incident happened I used clear panels because I like seeing all the internals and the "hood" is actually functional to access the battery on the upper links.

I did do a quick electronics test (next to the fireplace) and everything worked fine. Hopefully the weather will stay nice and I will get it on the rocks this weekend to post some actions shots!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
E.Y. Designs

Oh nice that looks awesome. Love it.
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Great lookin build.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Very nice looking rig - love the 2 tone BWD wheels.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote