Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Burning Pro Roller ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Burning Pro Roller ESC?

Hi guys,

I swapped my electronic to my Pro Roller, from my RTR MRC and I think my ESC is burning. Check this video out.

Also, there is this clicking sound coming from the servo but not audible from the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GorbVSN34

Please see this thread for the detailed background info:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...=1#post3132749

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by Boneybone; 06-08-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Boneybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sorry man, I have no idea what it would be. I would just suggest instead of trying a BEC with it, I'd just get a new ESC, I just got myself a tekkin B1R and am very pleased with it for the $56.00 I paid for it, I run a full size HiTec 645MG servo with out any external BEC and so far so good.

Does the ESC do the flashing red light when the transmitter is off?
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post
Sorry man, I have no idea what it would be. I would just suggest instead of trying a BEC with it, I'd just get a new ESC, I just got myself a tekkin B1R and am very pleased with it for the $56.00 I paid for it, I run a full size HiTec 645MG servo with out any external BEC and so far so good.

Does the ESC do the flashing red light when the transmitter is off?
Thank you for your reply brother. I just turned if on without turning the radio controller and...

When the transmitter is off, ESC has no lights on but servo makes this rapid clicking sound and the green light on the receiver flashes rapidly.

I am so bummed about this. I did everything by the book and this happens. I was going to buy bigger servo but because those need an external BEC, I choose a mini servo; I've read from forums that mini servos don't need a BEC then read many people run my servo without a BEC and never had problems.

I still don't have a clue what is wrong with it. I don't know what should I get or do. I'm in total darkness and feel like an idiot. I need a smilie face which bangs his head to the wall...

I've a giant, sophisticated paper weight in my hands right now...

I've asked local hobby/RC shops but they don't know shit about this. Crawling is not popular out here. No one has info, parts, knowledge, experience on crawling...

I am so frustrated.

I am thinking about buying the Losi Xcelorin ESC/Motor combo but I'm afraid to do so. What if I forget some parts like BEC, CC etc and ruin them too? They are hella expensive and I have to pay shipping near 100 bucks, plus customs fees... This is so complicated... :(

Last edited by Boneybone; 06-09-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #4

same thing happened to me man i tried to hook up a UBEC and it still did it bought a new ESC and it works perfect now mine smelt like burnt plastic and did the same exact thing as yours is doing i have no idea what cause mine to do it but i burnt out my stock RTR servo and the ESC at the same exact time haha
joshlg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlg06 View Post
same thing happened to me man i tried to hook up a UBEC and it still did it bought a new ESC and it works perfect now mine smelt like burnt plastic and did the same exact thing as yours is doing i have no idea what cause mine to do it but i burnt out my stock RTR servo and the ESC at the same exact time haha
So it's official that my ESC is dead then. My ESC smells like burnt plastic too but there's nothing visible to the eye. No dark spots on the PCB or anything.

Do you think if my servo is dead too? How can I check it? I don't want to buy another if it's working. It's a brand new Hitec. :(

I think I'll buy the Xcelorin ESC/Motor combo then, it's 129.99$ at amainhobbies.

Is that all I need? Just the combo and slap it in and ready to go? Do I need other parts like BEC and stuff to make it work?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneybone View Post
So it's official that my ESC is dead then. My ESC smells like burnt plastic too but there's nothing visible to the eye. No dark spots on the PCB or anything.

Do you think if my servo is dead too? How can I check it? I don't want to buy another if it's working. It's a brand new Hitec. :(

I think I'll buy the Xcelorin ESC/Motor combo then, it's 129.99$ at amainhobbies.

Is that all I need? Just the combo and slap it in and ready to go? Do I need other parts like BEC and stuff to make it work?
i would say your servo is probably ok try turning it by hand mine wouldnt turn at all it was completely locked up for whatever reason if it turns id say your ok with the servo you got but my ESC did the same thing and it had no visible burns anywhere either but the BEC didnt help so i just got a new ESC off ebay for 10 bucks and it works like a dream ever since
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well, I can turn the servo by hand but it's hard. My stock Losi servo turns so much easier. Hitec one needs way more force to turn.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Also, does the Losi Xcelorin ESC needs BEC to run the servo I got? I don't want to fry that ESC like this one.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #9

i would say that the internal BEC on the Xcelorin ESC should be fine but you can always run a UBEC just to be on the safe side
Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If you're using the stock servo and a 2cell lipo you will not need a BEC. The Xcelorin BEC puts out 2 amps which is enough for that servo. Now if you are using one of the power hungry new generation servos on a 3 cell Lipo then you NEED an external BEC. Pay attention to the external BEC, not all have a high output.

Good luck.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
If you're using the stock servo and a 2cell lipo you will not need a BEC. The Xcelorin BEC puts out 2 amps which is enough for that servo. Now if you are using one of the power hungry new generation servos on a 3 cell Lipo then you NEED an external BEC. Pay attention to the external BEC, not all have a high output.

Good luck.

I am using 7.2 1100 mah Nimh but I'll probably upgrade to 2 cell Lipo.

My servo is Hitec HS-5245MG. I have no idea if this is a power hungry servo. Could you please check the link I am going to give, it's the official Hitec website, my servos page specifically, I will appreciate it a lot. Is this a power hungry servo? It's tiny, smaller than the stock MRC RTR servo.

Servo link: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-5245mg.html

This means I don't need a BEC?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

You should be fine w/o a bec. I run one but I also use a 277oz servo for the steering.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You should be fine w/o a bec. I run one but I also use a 277oz servo for the steering.
I agree that servo really shouldn't use much power since its will put out only about 76oz in of torque.

I'm guessing you just had bad luck and were one of the few people that got a bad esc. New one will make all the difference.
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post
I agree that servo really shouldn't use much power since its will put out only about 76oz in of torque.

I'm guessing you just had bad luck and were one of the few people that got a bad esc. New one will make all the difference.
I couldn't figure it out either but I guess you're right brother.

I also don't see any other reason for this to happen. My wheels are not weighted, I didn't push it like most of the folks here do, according to their videos and I was really careful not to make something to damage the chassis, which means going easy on the throttle and steering.

Do you also concur that Xcelorin ESC/Motor combo doesn't need external BEC to run safely with this particular servo?

I am being extra cautious on this matter at the moment because I would seriously get scarred for life and maybe become a sociopath, then slowly raise the bar to the psychopathic levels and turn out to be a full time enthusiastic serial killer if I burn the Xcelorin ESC too, just like this one.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My servo is Hitec HS-5245MG. I have no idea if this is a power hungry servo. Could you please check the link I am going to give, it's the official Hitec website, my servos page specifically, I will appreciate it a lot. Is this a power hungry servo? It's tiny, smaller than the stock MRC RTR servo.

Servo link: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-5245mg.html

This means I don't need a BEC?
Yes that is a power hungry servo. You will need a bec.
Psychomonkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomonkey RC View Post
Yes that is a power hungry servo. You will need a bec.
Even if I buy the Losi Xcelorin ESC/Motor combo?

Would I be needing the BEC still?!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Even if I buy the Losi Xcelorin ESC/Motor combo?

Would I be needing the BEC still?!
I'm using a Hitec 5925, a full size 1/10 servo, that has 120+oz/in torque and .08 sec speed with no external BEC and the Xcelorin crawler combo. So far it seems to be fine but I've seen people burn out their ESCs even with external BECs so there is no guarantee it will prevent any and all misfortunes.

You PM'd me and I told you the same. But if you want to use an external BEC then by all means do so.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

So all the ESCs out there are in risk of ending up burned because of servos?

That sounds wrong.

What should I do to prevent frying my ESC then? What kind of servo should I use so my ESC is safe from burning because that servo?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
So all the ESCs out there are in risk of ending up burned because of servos?

That sounds wrong.

What should I do to prevent frying my ESC then? What kind of servo should I use so my ESC is safe from burning because that servo?
No All ESCs are at risk because of heavy demands.

You can minimize this by:
Running a smaller pinion, don't get in a bind, don't reverse polarity and pay attention.

The servo itself isn't the problem, it is overloading the internal BEC and or overloading the FETs in the ESC. Trying to run current through the ESC while the motor and servo are both in a bind will spike the amp draw to a point where the ESC will fry itself trying to deliver the current.

A BEC just removes one more task the ESC has to do making it a lighter electric load. Got it!

I've seen many ESCs give up their magic smoke in a bind even with external BECs.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-10-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I understand it right now. Thank you very much!

But I have one question. What is bind?

You mean tires are stuck and doesn't move at all even when you open throttle? Because I've done that, right before this problem arouse. I stuck somewhere, couldn't move the tires reverse or forward, I gave some gas but nothing. Then I wiggled my way out by constantly steering right to left and so on, at the same time gave gas, but as in short punches. Then it ricocheted out there at some point, I was laughing my ass of because of joy and pride.