Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Boney's Pro Roller build attempt #1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Well, it's me again. My MRC Pro build finally reached to an end.

As I said on my earlier posts, I'm temporarily using the stock RTR MRC servo but I don't think it's going to survive a month. I tried some tricky lines at the garden and after only 2 minutes, yes 2 minutes, servo was operating at 199F. That kinda temperature can't be healthy for the servo I assume. Anyway, can't wait to grab that Savox.

I made an electronic tray from a DVD cover, mounted my receiver on the top and ESC behind the transmission box, right above the drive shaft. Secured it with both plastic wraps and double-sided sticky tape. It turned out pretty solid and most of the weight is towards the front.

Here is the tray, macro.

I used foam cable clips and they are pretty awesome if you ask me, it's easy to route the cables and secure them but when they got pulled, foam lets go before the cable binding occurs.

I bought a plastic velcro to secure the battery on the side of the chassis. This thing is stronger than a regular cloth velcro if the sized are the same and also, it doesn't lose grip no matter how many times you pull it apart. Holds the battery pretty well and removing is easy.

My 800 mah 2S 7.4V lipo, 10C rating; meh... Wrapped electric tape around it so the velcro can hold it better. Double sided tape don't like slippery, shiny heatshrink.

Now onto the paintjob.

This was my very first paint job but outcome was self-satisfactory. I quite like it to be honest. I made some paint masks from a vinyl and slapped em on her then sprayed white, when it's over I carefully removed the masks and went in with the black. It was easy, not messy as I expected at all and that Tamiya lexan paints (in little cans) smell pretty good and makes you feel oooooooh-kay.

And a couple of naked shots with the battery attached.

That's it.

Also here is a video of her maiden voyage. It's just a couch crawl, nothing impressive at all but I wanted to try it ASAP! I attached the camera to the transmitter with a piece of tape so camera work is a little off, sorry for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRab...yer_detailpage

I really like the Novak Mongoose system so far. I haven't done any serious crawling but torque, speed and smoothness is very enjoyable. I'm using the 2nd profile, Expo and boosted the drag brakes to the max. It still lets go a little on hill but very slowly and a little bit of finger movement can set her still. I don't mind this at all and was aware of it before buying it.

I'm using the included Titus rim weights in the front, nada on the rear wheels. I'll fine tune the chassis and weight once I get my servo and drive her a little.

If you got something to ask, fire away.

Thank you for reading.

Boney's out, Peace.
Boneybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Took her out today and these are the results.

I found a new spot to crawl, lots of white, somewhat soft rocks. I don't know the kind but they're very dusty and every time my skid plate hits em when I'm trying to hop it up, they brake a little. I couldn't resist the urge and went all in.

Let me tell you that "heat" is definitely not a problem for that stock RTR servo. Before it got even warm, I destroyed the gears inside. Now I have no steering at all and got to wait for a month for a new servo, LOL.

I'm seriously consdiering using my Savage's servo on this lil bugger but I just can't think a month without a Savage.

Anyways, I need to stiffen the front end, too much articulation and needs heavier oil. Weight ratio is pretty nice but I can add some to the front, maybe... I need to lower my body a little so it's easier to get her off of her back onto the wheels, though she still manages to get back up.

I really liked that spot, got to take a video of her crawling with a new servo right there.

P.S. Dogs hate the sound of a servo with stripped gears. They can't stand it at all. Also do not forget your transmitter on the roof of your car. It comes down from the windshield on to the hood on your first brake and scare the ****ing crap out of you. I was this '' close to scream like a little girl but too high to find the energy to do it...

No, transmitter is not broken, just some scuffs and couple of seconds to waste while looking for the batteries.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #23

Exclamation Rob33

Pick up some bent links for rear suspention. Weight for wheels more in front, my bro and I used solder wire not elec solder got to lowes homedepo and get plumbers solder. also wheel wideners for front whop and i shared to cost because $34.00 for 4 and 2 will do. Hope this helps!!
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #24

Cool Rob33

Get a Hi Tec 645MG servo some say its to big but it works well on down side only 2 screws hold to mounting plate not going to break though!!

I found a new spot to crawl, lots of white, somewhat soft rocks. I don't know the kind but they're very dusty and every time my skid plate hits em when I'm trying to hop it up, they brake a little. I couldn't resist the urge and went all in.

Let me tell you that "heat" is definitely not a problem for that stock RTR servo. Before it got even warm, I destroyed the gears inside. Now I have no steering at all and got to wait for a month for a new servo, LOL.

I'm seriously consdiering using my Savage's servo on this lil bugger but I just can't think a month without a Savage.

Anyways, I need to stiffen the front end, too much articulation and needs heavier oil. Weight ratio is pretty nice but I can add some to the front, maybe... I need to lower my body a little so it's easier to get her off of her back onto the wheels, though she still manages to get back up.

I really liked that spot, got to take a video of her crawling with a new servo right there.

P.S. Dogs hate the sound of a servo with stripped gears. They can't stand it at all. Also do not forget your transmitter on the roof of your car. It comes down from the windshield on to the hood on your first brake and scare the ****ing crap out of you. I was this '' close to scream like a little girl but too high to find the energy to do it...

No, transmitter is not broken, just some scuffs and couple of seconds to waste while looking for the batteries.[/QUOTE]
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneybone View Post
...and I was thinking it's not a well known brand at all. LOL

That low profile looks pretty good, I can use that extra space for a lipo without messing with the tyranny but I don't think my local hobby shop carries it in stock, at least according to their website.

I'll probably go for the SC-1257TG, it has lower torque than the 1256TG and slightly cheaper but still more than my Hitec.

Hitec = 76 oz
Savox = 138.9 oz

I've ordered the ESC and rims yesterday, they should be here next week. Then I can head to the hobby shop and grab some lipos, charger and that Savox.

Do we actually need something like 347oz in 1/18th scale, isn't that a little overkill? I can't help to think that most of that power is not going to be used at all.
Will that fit in the stock MrCPro servo mounts? The website states 40mm, and stock mount is 35mm.

And I ask because I don't really know how the servo measurements go. I just got the MrCPro and I've been trying to figure all this out and getting a servo is on my list of things and I'm trying to figure out how they do the measurements...
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Yes that servo will fit on the MRC Pro. You can just move the servo mount over to the next hole....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Yes that servo will fit on the MRC Pro. You can just move the servo mount over to the next hole....
Oh... that's what that is.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Pick up some bent links for rear suspention. Weight for wheels more in front, my bro and I used solder wire not elec solder got to lowes homedepo and get plumbers solder. also wheel wideners for front whop and i shared to cost because $34.00 for 4 and 2 will do. Hope this helps!!
Thanks for the advice.

Bent links are on my "to do" list. I already got weights inside the front wheels.

Also could you please post a link for the wheel wideners? I can't find the one for MRC Pro. I would seriously love to widen the front a little.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/gmade-22...mm-p-2708.html
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Is that a direct fit to MRC? It says 2.2 wheels on the site.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

they are 12mm hex so they will work with the mini or 2.2.
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Thank you very much brother! Added those to my list!