Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: budget MRC pro roller build - Newbie needing help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Default budget MRC pro roller build - Newbie needing help!

So I just bought an MRC pro roller from Ultimate Hobbies for cheap, and now I have to add electronics. I've got an AX10 I've been modding and messing with for a while but I bought it RTR so I'm lost when it comes to electronics.

I need:
Radio/receiver
ESC
battery (lipo) (already have charger)
motor
servo

The plan for this thing is a reliable, easy to use crawler for my girlfriend. Don't need anything super fancy, so I'm trying to do this on a budget. I'm also trying to build around a scale body off my Nylint Jeep from back in the day. I need suggestions on parts. I'd like to spend less than $200 total if possible.

Thanks!
Speeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You want brushed or brushless?

Batteries, CBP has a 350mah 2S for ~$15 shipped, we have 6 of them (3 for each MRC rig).
Radio, if you like your existing one, get another RX and be done.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
If he's building it for his girlfriend, it's probably better to get a dedicated radio for it.

One option though is if you are thinking of upgrading your own radio, now is the time to do it and set your current radio up for the MRC.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
You want brushed or brushless?

Batteries, CBP has a 350mah 2S for ~$15 shipped, we have 6 of them (3 for each MRC rig).
Brushed probably, honestly don't know what the benefit of brushless is.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
One option though is if you are thinking of upgrading your own radio, now is the time to do it and set your current radio up for the MRC.
That would be a good idea, but I got a 3 channel with mine already that I'm happy with. Just need to get a cheap set up for the mrc.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

here is what I did because I was going for the cheap setup also:

Servo: Hitec HS 645MG $27 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

ESC: Tekkin B1R $58 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNZW3&P=7

Raido / Receiver:
Flysky FS-GT3B rx/tx combo: $35 http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Motor:
Stock Losi MRC motor $10.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/LOSI-LOSB0839-MO...#ht_2614wt_905

Lipos:
Bluesky 800mAh 20c 2s $6 x2 or more... http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-800mah-2s1p-74-20c.html

Local hobby shop:
Aluminum servo horn $6.00
Deans plugs all around $10-$15
A few strips of stick on lead weights $10

That should get you up and running nicely
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
BTF
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getrag View Post
here is what I did because I was going for the cheap setup also:

Servo: Hitec HS 645MG $27 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

ESC: Tekkin B1R $58 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNZW3&P=7

Raido / Receiver:
Flysky FS-GT3B rx/tx combo: $35 http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Motor:
Stock Losi MRC motor $10.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/LOSI-LOSB0839-MO...#ht_2614wt_905

Lipos:
Bluesky 800mAh 20c 2s $6 x2 or more... http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-800mah-2s1p-74-20c.html

Local hobby shop:
Aluminum servo horn $6.00
Deans plugs all around $10-$15
A few strips of stick on lead weights $10

That should get you up and running nicely
Ricky I think this is the way to go. Then later you can upgrade a little at a time.

Thanks for the info
BTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

heck from that list the only thing you need to upgrade is the motor!

my running gear is very close to that and ive got around $240 in mine
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #9

Not a bad list at all!

What kind of run time should I expect with an 800mah 2c? I know I'm going to be VERY limited on space but I do want a good amount of run time.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #10

I've only ever known a Rooster Crawler on my ax10. How would the Tekkin B1R compare? Will the brake lock up the tires? First to reverse?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding View Post
Not a bad list at all!

What kind of run time should I expect with an 800mah 2? I know I'm going to be VERY limited on space but I do want a good amount of run time.
With the setup I listed and the 800mAh 2s I have been getting nearly an hour of run time when crawling with other people so it sits for a few min at a time.

Straight solo crawling I get 45-50 min on a single battery. I bought 4 initially and i think I should have just bought 3.

The size is perfect for setting it on the front upper links also.

Quote:
I've only ever known a Rooster Crawler on my ax10. How would the Tekkin B1R compare? Will the brake lock up the tires? First to reverse?
I'm not sure how they compare, The MRC is my first and only crawler (for now )

I think I understand the question about the brakes locking up the tires. The Tekkin B1R has several reverse modes. It took me a little bit of reading and re-reading the instructions however you can switch the foreward - to - reverse transition. If you use the 2nd of the 3 options it will behave the way you want it to where it locks up instantly upon releasing the throttle. And will go instantly into reverse without a brake delay...

I hope that helps

Last edited by Getrag; 06-16-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:

I'm not sure how they compare, The MRC is my first and only crawler (for now )

I think I understand the question about the brakes locking up the tires. The Tekkin B1R has several reverse modes. It took me a little bit of reading and re-reading the instructions however you can switch the foreward - to - reverse transition. If you use the 2nd of the 3 options it will behave the way you want it to where it locks up instantly upon releasing the throttle. And will go instantly into reverse without a brake delay...

I hope that helps
Setting 2 would be what I'm looking for for sure. Will I need to solder wires to the esc to install?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Yes you will need to solder. It also comes with a capacitor and doesn't mention what to do with it. you will want to solder the long wire coming off of the capacitor to the battery + post on the esc, and you will want to solder the other wire on the capacitor to the battery - post on the esc (you will also have to solder wires going to connectors on the same posts, this connector will be what you plug your battery in to.)
Sorry I don't have my crawler with me otherwise I would take a pic
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding View Post
Not a bad list at all!

What kind of run time should I expect with an 800mah 2c? I know I'm going to be VERY limited on space but I do want a good amount of run time.
2c? you mean 20?... hope!

I run a 500mah 20c in my MRC with a Tekin B1R and a HH mini-TM and i get about 25min, IMO very respectable time for how hard i am with the throttle.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
2c? you mean 20?... hope!

I run a 500mah 20c in my MRC with a Tekin B1R and a HH mini-TM and i get about 25min, IMO very respectable time for how hard i am with the throttle.

Whoops, thanks your right, I corrected my above post. I meant to say 2s
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Whoops, thanks your right, I corrected my above post. I meant to say 2s
Its all good, but IMO your just wasting space with an 800mah battery in the MRC, my 500 has pleanty of run time and isn't too big (but its about the biggest I'd want though)
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
Its all good, but IMO your just wasting space with an 800mah battery in the MRC, my 500 has pleanty of run time and isn't too big (but its about the biggest I'd want though)
We run 2S 325mah LiPO packs from CheapBatteryPacks, about enough to run 2 comp courses/pack. They are VERY small packs as well.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #18

I'm probably going to squeeze the biggest battery in that I can. I'd like to get well over an hour of run time.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm probably going to squeeze the biggest battery in that I can. I'd like to get well over an hour of run time.
Here is my thought on that:

A- Bigger battery is harder to fit in the small MRC

B- Weight distribution won't be as good as using a small battery with more wheel weights

C- It costs just as much to get several small batteries as it is to get 1 big battery

D- You can be charging the small ones while your running another small one. With one big battery you would be limited to how long it will run, then you have to wait for it to charge (assuming you only have 1 big battery)

I would suggest going 800mAh or smaller. The 800's are about the biggest that will fit easily into the MRC and even with just 2 of them you will get over 1.5 hrs of run time total.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Here is my thought on that:

A- Bigger battery is harder to fit in the small MRC

B- Weight distribution won't be as good as using a small battery with more wheel weights

C- It costs just as much to get several small batteries as it is to get 1 big battery

D- You can be charging the small ones while your running another small one. With one big battery you would be limited to how long it will run, then you have to wait for it to charge (assuming you only have 1 big battery)

I would suggest going 800mAh or smaller. The 800's are about the biggest that will fit easily into the MRC and even with just 2 of them you will get over 1.5 hrs of run time total.
I'll have a massive scale body on this thing most likely so I'm not too worried about the size, but the weight argument is a good one, I know this thing will probably spend a lot of time on it's lid with the driver it'll have so I'll need all the help I can get to keep it dirty side down.

Will an 800 fit on the front axle?