Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Bent links on all 4 corners or just the back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Default Bent links on all 4 corners or just the back?

Hi All

Wanted to know if there is a downside on running the bent links on all 4 corners. I see most just runs them on the back.

I
generem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

not really a down side just kinda depends on what you get used to and how you drive.

i have one rig with bent links all the way around, but i run a really short shock so not much belly clearance so i needed the added rise of the bent links.

on my bodiless i just have them in the rear and have never felt the need for them in the front.

again it really depends on lots of factors
slowtocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I run 30* degree bent links all the way around but my truck but mine sit's low to the groud but it really doesn't matter if you run bent all the way around it just might help you when you on a obsticle
fallin apart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run bent links all around, seems to help when cresting a peak so the front can grab. But i'm going to run the gc3 chassis and going to run straight links all around this rig
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Thank u all for the input. I guess Ill start with bent links all the way around and see how she feels.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I have found that front bent links on a lower belly rig makes it feel "floppy". This is going off of old school TLT and AX-10 modifactions and upgrades.

I would run bent rears, leave the fronts straight and see how you like it. Smaller changes are easier to document and overcome vs. major upgrades/changes.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I run bent rears on my mini juice, with straight front links (all delrin).
I like the way the straight links up front, help the rig 'slide' over some obstacles.
Deffinately bent for the rear. I like a shallow bend 20 to 30 deg is enough to clear but still provide a little link area to slide on.

Also worth noting how alloy links get chewed up and end up snagging on rocks, where as steel (or better still titanium) is more resiliant. Delrin my prefferred link material remains slippy (being a nylon type plastic).

I bought some lenghts of h.poly (delrin) in 6mm diameter, cut and drilled a few different lengths and bends until I found one I was happy with.
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on your chassis. I run a minijuice and straight front links allow for a smooth transition from the links to the skid and follow the rear bent links nicely.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
I run bent rears on my mini juice, with straight front links (all delrin).
I like the way the straight links up front, help the rig 'slide' over some obstacles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
It really depends on your chassis. I run a minijuice and straight front links allow for a smooth transition from the links to the skid and follow the rear bent links nicely.
I agree with these, my mini moonbuggy has straight fronts and bent rears and I think the straight fronts help it to slide over things instead of high-centering.
papabash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
I agree with these, my mini moonbuggy has straight fronts and bent rears and I think the straight fronts help it to slide over things instead of high-centering.
Almighty then. I'll start with rears only for now. And u know what? I did notice that I was sliding on the fronts in certain occasions and thought it was kinda cool. I'm kinda of a newbe... I appreciate the inputs fellas
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I bought CrawlerDads Minijuice & haven't had time to play with tuning yet but it came bent delrin on 4 & it seems pretty smooth. But I have a set of straights as well & think I'll give her a shot after reading this. It's a sick little crawler. I literally opened the box, drove to the SoCal finals & ran her into a -30, -16 & a -24.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i have a mrc pro and i got the losi bent lowers on all 4 corners. so far i like it. it doesnt seem to make the suspension more floppy. the my links sit level with the skid so there is a smooth transaction between the front lowers to the skid when sliding over rocks.
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #13

I have 2 mini's both real similar set ups with the exception mine as straight links all the way around and my son's has bent links on the lowers all the way around. My son's gets around a lot better than mine does as far as ease of crawling, I find I have to "bump" obstacle's a bit more to over come dragging the lowers and losing traction. I will be adding the bent lowers to mine real quick...............not liking my 6 year old kicking my butt at the "library rock crawl" ...........my $.02
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
RCC Addict

both setups IMO have its downsides..

I noticed while running all around 30 degree bent links, the front links would sometimes drop off a ledge too much, causing the rig to be unstable. Also, when climbing up a edge, the bent links felt like the help get your rig stuck easier in the bend of the tubing.. But, i did notice, you get alot more clearance, for some obstacles..

As for straight links in the front, i felt it was much easier to get down ledges, without having the rig become unstable., and then climbing up ledges is its only enemy, it did climb up ledges with ease, however, it felt like it needed a bit more throttle, compared to 30 degree bent links all around..

However, goes either way, and depends on the Chassis you run too. I notied if you have a chassis that isnt angled down like the beetlejuice, running bent links all around is very beneficial, However, if you have a chassis like a beetlejuice that IS angled down, i would reccomend going straight links, because i noticed that the skid plate of the chassis would sometimes get caught in rocks, which got really annoying at times.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote