Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi MRC Pro Race Roller, a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Losi MRC Pro Race Roller, a few questions.

Hey folks. I've been on the forums several times before, but in the Micro area. I decided to get the Comp race roller with it's insane low price it is going for now-a-days. So anyways, all my experience is with the Micros, and this Mini is new to me and I have a few questions.

My first and biggest question is, is this MRC Pro a Worm Drive or not? I have spent more than a few hours on google trying to figure this out. I have to say I do not think it is a Worm Drive, but only because I cannot find that stated anywhere. Anyhow, I'm not sure about that one and I would like to know what kind of drive system it is.

My second question is, is there really a difference between Crawler ESC's and ESC's like Castle Creations Sidewinder or Mamba Micro Pro? I've seen that Losi, Novak, Tekin, and a few others have ESC's that they advertise as "Made for Crawling". I'm just wondering how much of that is practical function versus sales marketing.

My third question is, do Brushless Outrunner motors need to be sensored like their Inrunner cousins? I fly RC helicopters and have some Outrunners, so it would save me a few bucks if I could use one, and they just look sweet.

My fourth question, do BEC brands matter or are they interchangeable?

My last question is, what size motor should I be looking for? I see motors mostly aimed at the 1/10 scale, would those motors be to big or would they work?

I've google all of these questions, and I'm sure I've read the answers but being buried within a ton of other information, I'm not certain I understood them.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

My first and biggest question is, is this MRC Pro a Worm Drive or not?

No its not.

My second question is, is there really a difference between Crawler ESC's and ESC's like Castle Creations Sidewinder or Mamba Micro Pro?

The sidewinder is way bigger than the mamba micro pro. drag brake adjustability is the biggest thing. definitly other esc's will work but the ones you see people running are the best options. also some esc's are race specific and dont have a reverse option.

My third question is, do Brushless Outrunner motors need to be sensored like their Inrunner cousins?

in a crawler you want a sensored brushless motor other you will get alot of cogging in low throttle. if your looking for a brushless setup you can get novak mongoose which is sensored or Losi xceleron brushless setup which i dont know if its sensored or not. motor size is also something you need to look at and make sure there is plenty of room and that it will clear your transmission other you gotta start grinding the motor case and or the trans housing which i dont recommend.

My fourth question, do BEC brands matter or are they interchangeable?

as far as a BEC your beter off just getting the castle creations bec. this is the one i use in all of my rigs

My last question is, what size motor should I be looking for?

1/10 scale motor are to big. you want to look for 380 and 270 sized motors. like reedy stump puller, losi insane, team brood anarchy, crawler mafia motors.

hopefully that helps and ansewers your question

CrawlHer
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The MRC (Pro or regular) are NOT worm drived, they are ring & pinion.

Crawler type ESC's typically have a much better drag break as well as the option to go from forward direct to reverse, other ESC's may require a stop in neutral, or a double hit for reverse (not good for flipping back over, or to prevent a flip).

For BL motors, it is preferred to be sensored due to the control you want at low throttle settings, un-sensored BL motors tend to "cog" at low throttle. An alternative is to used brushed motors.

BEC's are interchangeable, most of us use the CC 10A BEC though.

Motor is a 280 370 sized for 18th scale (I believe I got the numbers correct). Look for the new Br00d motors that just came out.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys.

So, this MRC needs motor braking in order to not move... unlike my micro's that have the worm gear and won't move under power or not?

The info about the sensored vs sensorless brushless's I knew, I just have yet to see a sensored Outrunner version, only sensors on Inrunners... so I've been curious to if there is a reason behind that or not.

But if I do something like the Novak Mongoose and a CC BEC, those will work fine together?

And is there a Dig system for these Mini Pros?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinside View Post
Thanks guys.

So, this MRC needs motor braking in order to not move... unlike my micro's that have the worm gear and won't move under power or not?

But if I do something like the Novak Mongoose and a CC BEC, those will work fine together?

And is there a Dig system for these Mini Pros?
Yep, anything BUT a worm drive could use drag brake (well....maybe some scalers with other transmissions don't....).

BEC's are "brand non-specific" meaning they work well with others, no issues.

Dig system on a 1.9??!! Not allowed by the comp rules, sorta hard to do based on space. You could probably do it with a 2.2 based dig unit, but why bother? Do the front axle overdrive mod, then the rear axle underdrive mod if it's not enough.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I suggest a Tekin B1R esc if you go with a brushed motor, fairly good drag brake and it can handle the MRC no problem.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Yep, anything BUT a worm drive could use drag brake (well....maybe some scalers with other transmissions don't....).

BEC's are "brand non-specific" meaning they work well with others, no issues.

Dig system on a 1.9??!! Not allowed by the comp rules, sorta hard to do based on space. You could probably do it with a 2.2 based dig unit, but why bother? Do the front axle overdrive mod, then the rear axle underdrive mod if it's not enough.
Ok, so the Dig system was a silly question... got it. Not sure what the overdrive and underdrive mods are though.

Are their other options than drag braking that work for this MRC pro?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Since you haven't gotten a direct answer to your question regarding sensored inrunner or outrunner, I thought I would throw my $0.02 in. From what I know, based on 1/10 rigs, a sensored inrunner and an outrunner have basically the same characteristics...ie no cogging at low RPM. So, if you have an outrunner that will mount to the tranny plate and an ESC that will run it, you won't have any issues at all. Heck, I remember WAY back in the day when JRH (Holmes Hobbies) was running outrunners on his comp rigs...well before the infux of brushless in the crawling world.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
Since you haven't gotten a direct answer to your question regarding sensored inrunner or outrunner, I thought I would throw my $0.02 in. From what I know, based on 1/10 rigs, a sensored inrunner and an outrunner have basically the same characteristics...ie no cogging at low RPM. So, if you have an outrunner that will mount to the tranny plate and an ESC that will run it, you won't have any issues at all. Heck, I remember WAY back in the day when JRH (Holmes Hobbies) was running outrunners on his comp rigs...well before the infux of brushless in the crawling world.
Cool.

Yeah an Outrunner has more torque, that's why I'm super surprised that I don't see a ton of Outrunner sensored motors being used. And that confused me...
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, so the Dig system was a silly question... got it. Not sure what the overdrive and underdrive mods are though.
There are a couple of threads in this forum regarding both mods. They require replacing one gear in the axle to change the ratio, this will change the relative axle speeds. The easiest is the overdrive mod since it's almost a "drop in" mod.
The threads describe what to do and why people do the mod.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Why is the dig system silly of 1.9?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Why is the dig system silly of 1.9?
Silly, maybe not.
There is no real room for it and it's not allowed in 1.9 comps, thus no support for it either.

You could always try to make a 2.2 mechanical dig work.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ok, thank you.

This 1.9 seems like a fuzzy area for some reason. I have micros and know about them, and if I google anything 1/10 has an abundant amount of information, but I have had a hard time finding info for the in-between.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok, thank you.

This 1.9 seems like a fuzzy area for some reason. I have micros and know about them, and if I google anything 1/10 has an abundant amount of information, but I have had a hard time finding info for the in-between.
There are a few out there but not many. The Duratrax Cliff Climber and the PTI Goliath come to mind.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

So I'm thinking Tekin FX series ESC. Now to find a motor to pair with it.

I'd love to go Brushless but only outrunners. Inrunners... Not so much, there's not that much maintenance with a brushed motor to make a stink over it. But man I'd love to have the torque of an outrunner!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #16
5th D Owner/Driver

Make sure its the FXR as it has reverse. For a motor look into a brushed 17T or 18T, Brood has a preorder that should be shipping in a few weeks.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

OK, so FX-r Pro is what I am looking at getting.

As I look at all of Tekin's brushed motors, I don't read anywhere as to what size they are but they "look" like big motors. For this Micro Comp I need a 270-380 sized motor according to the answers I got earlier... is 18T big enough? I'm used to seeing like 80t or 90t for the micro's or 35t to 55t for the 2.2 rigs.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OK, so FX-r Pro is what I am looking at getting.

As I look at all of Tekin's brushed motors, I don't read anywhere as to what size they are but they "look" like big motors. For this Micro Comp I need a 270-380 sized motor according to the answers I got earlier... is 18T big enough? I'm used to seeing like 80t or 90t for the micro's or 35t to 55t for the 2.2 rigs.
Ummm.......try to get the 270 sized motor (similar to a Stump Puller) so it fits well.

I will be running a ~19turn (19T) brushed motor in my MRC, most peeps run 16T - 20T brushed motors.
I run 2 35T brushed motors in my 2.2 Bully comp rig.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummm.......try to get the 270 sized motor (similar to a Stump Puller) so it fits well.

I will be running a ~19turn (19T) brushed motor in my MRC, most peeps run 16T - 20T brushed motors.
I run 2 35T brushed motors in my 2.2 Bully comp rig.
Ok, 270 options? The Reedy Stump Puller seems to be unanimously loud motors, and that does bother me.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, 270 options? The Reedy Stump Puller seems to be unanimously loud motors, and that does bother me.
Stump Pullers & Slyders are the most common "inexpensive" brushed motors.
Br00d has one coming out.
Contra Band has one out now.
Holmes discontinued his.
Both are ~$60 though.