Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Hitec HS-225MG servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 05:46 AM   #1

Default Hitec HS-225MG servo?

Hello guys, I just got MRC Pro and serching on the internet for electronics.

It is first time trying rock crawling for me so I'm kinda having difficulties to choose fairly good products with my low budget.

After reading threads in this forum for hours I decided to get stock motor this time and practice until I get better for crawling and Tekin b1r for the ESC.

I already got losi lipo battery and have my old radio set. So the only thing I haven't decide my mind is servo.

While I was searching, I found Hitec HS-225MG which seems pretty good on spec sheet compared to its price. But I haven't seen anyone yet in this forum who used this servo for MRC Pro, so I'm kinda wondering why.

Since I'm a newbie, I don't think I really need hardcore performance stuff yet.

Any advice will help!
petokang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

welcome to rcc! i cant speak for the other drivers/builders, but, in my opinion a standard sized servo is the way to go. a mini servo (on a low budget) wont cut it. the servo you are looking at has 66 oz of torque at 6 volts, which isnt enough imo. most are running around 150 0z or above. it should be noted that with a standard sized servo you will get a little tire rub on the servo mount. this is normal. to eliminate the rubbing you will need to center mount the servo on the axles.... i'm running PPP servo on my mrc pro(208 oz/torque, standard sized, knock off from ebay, $50 shipped).

you wouldnt think that these little guys need strong servo's, but they do. also, if you do end up running a standard servo get a bec. one more thing, dont think of a good, strong servo as "hardcore performance stuff", it is a necessity. trust me, you'll be pissed when your rig wont turn, even in a slight bind.

Last edited by rik; 07-09-2011 at 06:18 AM.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice rik!

I also just found older post which was talking about hs-225 and ppl said it's got no enough torque.

I will look for full size ones such as 635mg!

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by petokang View Post
Thanks for the advice rik!

I also just found older post which was talking about hs-225 and ppl said it's got no enough torque.

I will look for full size ones such as 635mg!

Thanks again!
glad to help. good luck and have fun with it
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Hitec 645 is a popular one for the MRC. I use it on 2 of mine. They seem to be holding up great. And since it isn't a toque monster I don't even bother running a bec. They are only $30 or so and are name brand.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the comment.

I actually had Tamiya ta-03 chassis when I was a kid (almost 10 years ago) and at that time, Hitec was a kinda small company making low cost radio systems and servos in Korea.

After those years, it is taking big part in rc scene and it's making me suprise.

I just ordered 645 servo anyway and expect to get it soon to roll my MRC Pro!

Thanks for saving me from wasting my money on wrong servo
Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
The Hitec 645 is a popular one for the MRC. I use it on 2 of mine. They seem to be holding up great. And since it isn't a toque monster I don't even bother running a bec. They are only $30 or so and are name brand.

We are also running these on a MRC and a MRC pro here. Buy as much as you can afford. Seems quite a few around here are running over 200 oz inches of torque. I am happy with the HT 645mg but am wondering if I would like a little more!
birddog59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitec, hs-225, servo