Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC as a rock racer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

count me in the interested crowd. want to make my mini into more of a scaler with speed. but dont have the budget to order parts that dont fit, so subscribed.

for the vxl motor mount, there are two sets of holes: brushless 19mm apart for 3mm screws, brushed 16mm apart for 2.5mm screws
and the brushed mini summit comes with a 540 motor mount! which of course it can be bought separately.

someday ill be doing 30 mph backflips on flat ground....but anyways hope this helps

Last edited by jaytet; 07-12-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added subscribed
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

hey guys

that sounds like a sweet idea! i have my old RTR just sitting around and was thinking about making a scaler with it

what if you were to make your own tranny like Gerry has in his thread thunder_ warm with LCC axle?

Smiles
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
I joined the Band!

I guess you could make a Tranny Yourself..but for $13 bucks for the Traxxas tranny..saves a lot of time. Plus it has everything included, spur, slipper, motor mount. etc...
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Great idea smiles.

Skullking. You maybe onto a great find. I really can't wait to here what you come up with.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #25
I joined the Band!

Well got the traxxas mini tranny in today. Looks good. I will post pics later. All steel gears....heat sink motor mount....spur gear cover. Driveshaft outputs same dia. as the losi, but the traxxas ones have the hole all the way through which i like better than just a set screw anyway. 1st off the center of gravity with the motor is going to higher....but I do not care about that. There are 4 mounting holes. Thinking of using spacers to the skid. Just going to go with the traxxas brushed 380 motor for starters, but I have 2 motors from a 1/8 nylint that bolt up perfect. They have torque if they can push those big ass rigs around. Should be interesting what kind of speed I get with the gear ratio of the losi axles. Anyway when my wife gets off the computer I will post pics.....
Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

You got that fast skullking. I'm so antsy to see if it works. Do you have anyway of measuring the top speed? I just ran my MRC in the treadmill to get a mph reading. But with less gear reduction and big motors I think you may need to fallow it in a race car. Lol.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #27
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
You got that fast skullking. I'm so antsy to see if it works. Do you have anyway of measuring the top speed? I just ran my MRC in the treadmill to get a mph reading. But with less gear reduction and big motors I think you may need to fallow it in a race car. Lol.
If it kicks dirt up and jumps that's fast enough for me...lol
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Fair enough.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Lets see a video!
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #30
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipervision View Post
Lets see a video!
WHAT I dont even have this rig put together yet.....Here are some pics of the New Tranny.... I stand corrected the Tranny Gears are NOT all steel, just the idle gear is steel the rest is heavy duty plastic. Still is holds up the Brushless this is a tranny from a VXL mustang. I just checked the website for specifics.... She is all locked up to, no diff locker just a one peice gear.

Last edited by skullking; 07-14-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Definitely watching this one closely. I'm dying to put a 540 motor in an MRC-based scaler I'm building. Already checking fleabay for trannies.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #32
I joined the Band!

I have not seen a brushed trans on ebay let's us know when you do...
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Skullking. Just to clarify for myself and others who don't own traxxas mini vehicles, the transmission you are using for this conversion is from a brushless mini and is not the same transmission as the 540 brushed transmission also available in the traxxas minis?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
Skullking. Just to clarify for myself and others who don't own traxxas mini vehicles, the transmission you are using for this conversion is from a brushless mini and is not the same transmission as the 540 brushed transmission also available in the traxxas minis?
The only difference between the brushed and brushless Tranny is the motor mount. and the 380 brushed motor is not on Traxxas site anymore. They must have discontinued it. The 380 brushed and the 380 brushless share the same motor mount. The Brushed 550 motor has its own mount and they are the same as any 540 motor. I hope to get a little done this weekend.

Last edited by skullking; 07-15-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #35
dnf

I kinda thought that my mrc was a rock racer
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #36
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
I kinda thought that my mrc was a rock racer
Hey I see you make motors. How about a faster motor with big magnets?? Speed + Torque.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #37
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
Hey I see you make motors. How about a faster motor with big magnets?? Speed + Torque.
I have plenty of speed and torque now

I considered the mini slash trans once,but mounting it for lowest possible cog was a pain.But,I had planned to mount a 16t puller to it.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #38
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
I have plenty of speed and torque now

I considered the mini slash trans once,but mounting it for lowest possible cog was a pain.But,I had planned to mount a 16t puller to it.
What are you using?? for your speed and torque? Yeah I do not care about the COG. just having fun building it
Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Rock Hard. I've heard nothing but good things about your motors. Heard the are extremely powerful and smooth. I've never had the pleasure of seeing one run, but I would guess they are pretty fast also with a 17, 18, and 19 turns. If I had to guess your motors probably produce the kind of speed we are all wanting. With at the tranny gear reduction I bet your motor gets really hot and sucks the life out of a battery rather quickly. I would think if the if the traxxas transmission skullking is working with is roughly half the reduction the stock MRC transmission is that it would cure the heat issue. Your powerful motors would still be a prime contender for this type of build.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #40
I joined the Band!

ooooooo...hybrid buildI just got some 1.9 RC4WD Mudslingers mounted up on stock Losi Pro beadlocks. One side is easy but the other is a Pain in the A$$. I also got the long screws needed for the tranny mount. They are 3MM. I just need to get a peice of Mock up Acrylic or something to make a skid. Gonna half to use 4 long spacers. Also I got my driveshafts ends drilled through so I can use the traxxas set screws. Pics Later.....